Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Crowne Plaza could add second tower

"The owners of the Crowne Plaza Pontchartrain Detroit are considering a second tower on its downtown Detroit site, the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau has confirmed.

Construction of a second tower — which experts say would cost in the $30 million-to-$35 million range — could bring the hotel up to 800-850 rooms. That would make it the state's second largest, behind the riverfrontDetroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center.

And it could help the city gain an edge in attracting large conferences.

"One of our challenges is we don't have as many hotel rooms that are an easy walk to the convention center like many of our competitors do," said Michael O'Callaghan, executive vice president and COO of the convention bureau.

A second tower at the Pontchartrain would allow the RenCen Marriott and other hotels downtown to "play well together as a group in bringing these conventions to the city," he said."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-pontchartrain

I hope they go through with it. it'd be nice to see something this of this size being built in the city.

Someone must've found the original blueprints!

The western-views are going to LOVE the new video screen at Cobo Hall.

I do quite a bit of work in the wedding industry and I have yet to hear of or see any events held at the Pontch. With the space they have there I would imagine the first few floors, those in front of the video board, will be or could be meeting/convention space. Downtown has become a hot spot for weddings and other similar events so I wouldnt be surprised if they are going to try and tap into that market with an updated and modern facility.

The 2nd tower will not be over the Lodge Freeway entrance where the video screen will be. So seeing the sign from the hotel should not be a problem, unless of course the 2nd tower has a zig-zag contour, meaning the rooms face that way, which is highly doubtful. It will be facing the northern part of Cobo Center, which is signage free.

Also, this could finally mean the sky bridge over Washington Blvd. [[the 1980s expansion of Cobo made provisions for this inside Cobo) between the center and the hotel could become a reality.

If you do the following Google search, you should get the entire Crain's article, rather than use a link which results only in a truncated article with an ad to buy a subscription.....

"Second Tower Planned for Detroit's Crowne Plaza Pnochartrain"
    Last edited by Gistok; June-28-15 at 01:37 PM.

I wonder if there's enough space on the site to have another tower while still maintaining privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    "The owners of the Crowne Plaza Pontchartrain Detroit are considering a second tower on its downtown Detroit site, the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau has confirmed.

Construction of a second tower — which experts say would cost in the $30 million-to-$35 million range — could bring the hotel up to 800-850 rooms. That would make it the state's second largest, behind the riverfrontDetroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center.

And it could help the city gain an edge in attracting large conferences.

"One of our challenges is we don't have as many hotel rooms that are an easy walk to the convention center like many of our competitors do," said Michael O'Callaghan, executive vice president and COO of the convention bureau.

A second tower at the Pontchartrain would allow the RenCen Marriott and other hotels downtown to "play well together as a group in bringing these conventions to the city," he said."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-pontchartrain

I hope they go through with it. it'd be nice to see something this of this size being built in the city.
    My two cents:

Additional rooms at that location are strategically important, but otherwise Detroit needs to be careful not to overbuild. There needs to be a new hotel near the new arena. Maybe one in Brush Park opposite Ford Field.

Otherwise, is there really a need for more in any particular building which needs to be developed??? [["Because that building would make a nice boutique hotel"...)

YES to tower. No to skybridge over Washington-- barf!

While they are at it I hope they deconstruct the concrete bunker that the hotel sits on top of. 1960s hotel at its finest!

As Gannon pointed out, the original plan was to build two, twin towers. The family that build it changed its mind.

The hotel has been in and out of foreclosure several times over the years and the loan on the hotel played a prominent role in the "my cat for your dog" Keating S $ L debacle.

Although the closest hotel to the convention center, it missed out on most large conventions because it did not have the rooms and facilities to serve the majority of attendees. Therefore, it only got the spillover business when the Ren Cen was full.

When the second tower is built it will be the go-to hotel downtown because of its proximity to the convention center..

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    As Gannon pointed out, the original plan was to build two, twin towers. The family that build it changed its mind.

The hotel has been in and out of foreclosure several times over the years and the loan on the hotel played a prominent role in the "my cat for your dog" Keating S $ L debacle.

Although the closest hotel to the convention center, it missed out on most large conventions because it did not have the rooms and facilities to serve the majority of attendees. Therefore, it only got the spillover business when the Ren Cen was full.

When the second tower is built it will be the go-to hotel downtown because of its proximity to the convention center..

Looks like a second tower still may be in the works. I found it interesting to read that they are still required to provide additional parking. The new Aloft hotel in the David Whitney does not have adjacent parking, and guests who wish just pay the going valet rate.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...center-heat-up

Interesting to see that they are exploring the possibility of not just twinning the tower but possibly making a larger tower and completely different hotel brand. That would make for an interesting addition to the skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Interesting to see that they are exploring the possibility of not just twinning the tower but possibly making a larger tower and completely different hotel brand. That would make for an interesting addition to the skyline.
    I like that. Skyline-wise, I would hope a second tower is different architecturally and not just a "twin" of the existing tower. Nothing against the current design, but I prefer diversity.

Also if they go with the different extended stay IHG brand, that would mean either the Candlewood Suite flag or Staybridge Suites flag. Either would be new to downtown obviously. This dual-flag setup is becoming more common in the hotel industry, as it allows you to serve two business markets with one hotel staff of event planners, housekeepers, maintenance, etc.

Hoping that the Q-line will allow visitors to stay at a hotel near the arena and commute to Cobo or vice versa.

Makes sense - most of the reviews of the new hotel say that the rooms are nice enough, but pretty small, and the bathrooms are ludicrously small - think can't shut the door when your sitting on the toilet sized.

That's not something you can fix with a remodel, you need to gut the place and rebuild. At that point, you may as well build a new tower.

The Intercontinental in Chicago kind of did the same thing - they refurbished one tower of the old athletic club to have nice big rooms, and kept the second tower original.

If you're building a new tower I would think that you'd give that to the higher end brand like Crowne Plaza. You then use the old building for something lower priced like Holdiday Inn.

If I recall correctly, there are already 2 nearby hotel projects in the works: the boutique hotel in the old Fire Dept HQ across the street from Cobo; and wasn't the JLA site given over to a developer for hotel construction as part of the bankruptcy?

In my opinion, certain things generate their own heat. The more people that stay downtown, the more people want to stay downtown. The market for downtown hotel rooms isn't infinite, but it is quite a bit larger than the current supply. As more jobs, residents, retail, restaurants and events come to downtown [[more of them every year), the more demand there will be for hotel rooms.

I hope a new Pontch tower is constructed, too. Like others, I also hope it isn't a twin, but a whole new look. That said, being different isn't enough. It should be different but complimentary. A yin to the yang, if you will. Can't wait to see renderings. Considering the visibility from Cobo, RenCen, Hart Plaza, river & Windsor, this is a chance to make a real architectural statement.

so when is construction supposed to begin? I'm still trying to visualize where this thing would be built. Seems already crowded. Something is going to be demolished first?

The building is set back about 70 feet on the Washington side, which is about how much space another tower would take up.

There would be about a 95 foot gap between the two towers, which is a comparable to if the towers were across the street from each other.

The zig zag facade of the hotel makes for good views, so the rooms will still be able to see the river and won't just be stuck looking across at the other building. If a new tower really gets built I think this is a beneficial feature worth considering. The hotel has other shortcomings but the massing is a genuinely good idea.

And as far as the aesthetics of the skyline is concerned a new tower wouldn't have an impact. But on the street level it could make a big improvement to the urban form, which is much more important.

There is a special meeting of the City Planning Commission to consider an addition to the hotel

http://www.detroitmi.gov/LinkClick.a...%3d&portalid=0

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    ... I found it interesting to read that they are still required to provide additional parking. The new Aloft hotel in the David Whitney does not have adjacent parking, and guests who wish just pay the going valet rate.
    I thought Detroit had modernized its building codes. Requiring parking spaces for a hotel is so 2000ish.

Long Live Uber -- down with regulated Taxis, tool of our oppressors.

Who do they think is harmed if a hotel wants no parking?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I thought Detroit had modernized its building codes. Requiring parking spaces for a hotel is so 2000ish.

Long Live Uber -- down with regulated Taxis, tool of our oppressors.

Who do they think is harmed if a hotel wants no parking?
    Whether or not they have their own parking, they need to have better parking. There was never sufficient parking in the existing hotel and guests, whether using valet or self-parking, used the garage at the corner of Congress & Washington. It took forever to get your car out.

I wonder if there is still discussion about the skyway between the hotel and COBO. After all in the last redesign of COBO there was a spot put into the design of COBO where the wall could be opened up for a skyway over to the hotel, should it ever be expanded.

Since there is zero ground floor retail between the 2 buildings [[or anywhere nearby for that matter), I don't see what the fuss would be against building a catwalk. It could also give hotel occupants enclosed access to the People Mover, although the Financial Center station is about 1 1/2 blocks away.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-15-16 at 04:02 PM.

No more could. I sometimes watch the City Council planning and economic development committe meetings it's a great way to stay ahead of what's happening. Not less than hour ago did I hear they made a zoning change application for a new tower that'll comeback for their review later.

The application is in their referal. documents No renderings, but go to page 25 and it lays out the basic details. 448,000 sq ft, 28 stories and approx 338 ft. tall

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...D%201-9-18.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    No more could. I sometimes watch the City Council planning and economic development committe meetings it's a great way to stay ahead of what's happening. Not less than hour ago did I hear they made a zoning change application for a new tower that'll comeback for their review later.

The application is in their referal. documents No renderings, but go to page 25 and it lays out the basic details. 448,000 sq ft, 28 stories and approx 338 ft. tall

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...D%201-9-18.PDF
    Great Find! Thanks for sharing! Excited to hear this is moving along. The document indicated construction to begin in a year with 2021 completion.

I hope the architects don’t “twin” the design of the first tower, and that they build this new tower with a contrasting design compared to the first. Good for the city and convention business.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I hope the architects don’t “twin” the design of the first tower, and that they build this new tower with a contrasting design compared to the first. Good for the city and convention business.
    I like the exterior design and the fact that all rooms have at least a partial river view but the rooms are so small I definitely don't think they will twin the original.

To get that square footage per floor, the footprint of the building would be the empty plaza on the west side of the site [[as expected), all the way to the sidewalk on Jefferson.

The height, at about 338 feet tall, would be about the same height as the rooflines of Greektown Hotel, Book Caddillac, 1001 Woodward [[exactly 338 feet), the Buhl Building, 500/600 Towers of the Ren Cen, Millender Center, First National Building, AT&T Building[[s). The current hotel is only 252 feet tall.

In other words this is quite a substantial tower.

The architecture firm listed is the same firm that did the renovations to the current hotel. Their projects lists mostly consists of horrible suburban chain hotels, tacky luxury renovations of existing urban hotels, and a few car dealerships/mcmansions/suburban commercial developments. I really hope a different firm is chosen to design it. You can see their site here: http://architecturaldesigninc.com/ But we've heard that the current owners have been thinking about a second tower for a while, and this document says construction is expected to start late 2018, so this does seem to be the firm. Let's hope for the best...

There is also a 7 floor parking garage described, with a footprint exactly matching the parking lot to the north of the building behind the Foundation hotel.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast