Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Nationwide segregation map

I just ran across this map for the whole US, pretty interesting to see across the whole country:

http://demographics.coopercenter.org...ource=PourOver

Is there a reason why it's called a Nationwide Segregation Map?

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...Racial-Dot-Map

Searched under "easy being green"...

The map isn't a "segregation map" per se. It shows the areas where the blacks originally were located which were the areas that slavery predominated in a crescent from the southeastern seacoast thorough the bottom lands of the deep south. It shows the Hispanics concentrated in the Mexican/US border areas. It shows the out migration of both groups to the northern cities where the jobs are/were.

The map shows the history of slavery and the US annexation of parts of Mexico. It shows the areas of the south where slavery wasn't common or economic. It shows the magnetism of the large cities during the US industrial heyday.

Ok...but what exactly does this have to do with Detroit?

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    It has nothing to do with Detroit. This thread is just an attempt to stir up shit.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    It has nothing to do with Detroit. This thread is just an attempt to stir up shit.
    I don't think "segregation" is an appropriate term for the title of the thread, but I also don't think its an attempt to stir anything up. It's just interesting to see what groups are predominate in different areas. Until recently I was in that very "red" Bay Area.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I don't think "segregation" is an appropriate term for the title of the thread, but I also don't think its an attempt to stir anything up. It's just interesting to see what groups are predominate in different areas. Until recently I was in that very "red" Bay Area.
    Agreed.

I mean, clearly the purpose of the map is to show how the residence of racial groups in Americans is divided. That said, some folks are always trying to find controversy in every little thing. So I can understand why the word "segregation" would be bothersome.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    I think the OP posted it in this part of the forum because the fact is the Detroit area has some of the starkest divide of race [[in terms of residence) in America.

What it says is that blacks and Hispanics have chosen to move to the metro areas of the north and eschew the rural areas.

In my experience there has been a slow, small, steady increase of the [[low) Black and Hispanic proportions of the populations in Michigan's small towns that I am familiar with.
    It still may be true that blacks and Hispanics in the aggregate prefer urban areas. There
    is probably also a similar slow, small, steady increase in the number of Asians in the small towns, but I am confident that the influx of Asians into urban areas is proportionately greater
    at this time.

DetroitBoy Guest

Again, this has nothing to do with Detroit. The majority of the 500,000+ people who fled Detroit in the last 10 years were black and they did so due to the mismanagement of the city for decades. No one has segregated people in the City of Detroit to arrive at the current demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Again, this has nothing to do with Detroit. The majority of the 500,000+ people who fled Detroit in the last 10 years were black and they did so due to the mismanagement of the city for decades. No one has segregated people in the City of Detroit to arrive at the current demographics.
    Well, it is an interesting map and if you zero in on the Detroit metro and enlarge the scale, you can see how the metro is segregated. It also shows the lack of diversity once you get out of northern metro areas. The rural areas in the north and west are white to a high percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Well, it is an interesting map ...
    Yes, thank you to detlump for sharing this info!!

Although not a Detroit-related observation, did anyone notice
    how the Western and Eastern halves of the US differed mark-
    edly in population density? Almost like a "line of demarcation"
    from the Dakotas southward through central Texas...

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Well unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere, on top of a mountain, or in the heat and coldness of a desert, not too many places out west the pioneers could have chosen.

A high percentage of the population lives within 60 miles of either the east or west coast.

Thank You for posting this. My area is of note, north Oak Park [[west of Rackham Golf Course/North of 696 is pretty solid white, south of the freeway African American. It would look even more interesting if Jews had their own dot or color.

Yep, Iowa and Southern Illinois are a lot more densely populated than the Great Plains of the Dakotas, Nebraska and eastern Colorado. And Michigan, Ohio and Indiana are also more densely populated than Southern Illinois and Iowa.

I'm guessing part of it has to do with when these places were settled relative to industrialization, mechanization of agriculture, the Dust Bowl, railways...

After a certain point, rural areas stopped growing, and places with a lot of cities tended to grow more, at least until A/C was invented. The Great Plains probably also had less of a rural/small town population base because of climate, and it's not just about precipitation, but also evapotranspiration rates which are higher in warm climates. La Crosse, WI gets about as much precipitation as San Antonio, but the water in the soils and rivers around San Antonio can dry up much faster.