Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage Nationwide

LOL!

Another great win for Democracy!

And another great loss for those still living off of the corpse of the old world.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/26/politi...ing/index.html

Celebrate love and life!

These recent two court rulings signal the waning days of the Republican Theocracy!

Well that's pretty mean spirited for what would appear to be a happy development. Your head is up your ass if you think Snyder has a hardcore "christianist" agenda [[what is that word?). The people of Michigan passed a constitutional amendment not so long ago, and being reviewed in the federal courts, any sitting administration would have a duty to send an attorney to defend it. You understand that, right? To the extent you must have anger it should be directed at the 50% of Michiganians/Americans who just got overruled.

Default Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage Nationwide

How this will impact Detroit will be interesting.

From article:

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 on Friday that it is legal for all Americans, no matter their gender or sexual orientation, to marry the people they love.

The decision is a historic victory for gay rights activists who have fought for years in the lower courts. Thirty-seven states and the District of Columbia already recognize marriage equality. The remaining 13 states ban these unions, even as public support has reached record levels nationwide.

The justices found that under the 14th Amendment, states must issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples and recognize same-sex unions that were legally performed in other states. Justice Anthony Kennedy delivered the majority opinion and was joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7470036.html
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-26-15 at 10:26 AM.

Suck it Bill Schuette, it's the 21st century.

And Mackinaw, many attorneys generals and governors decided to NOT defend their unconstitutional laws and instead be on the right side of history. Snyder decided cowtow to the right because he's terrified of them; and Schuette gleefully provided a defense because he is a theocrat

Good news.

However, I do see plural marriage as raising its head.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    LOL!

Another great win for Democracy!

And another great loss for those still living off of the corpse of the old world.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/26/politi...ing/index.html

Celebrate love and life!

These recent two court rulings signal the waning days of the Republican Theocracy!
    A majority of Michiganders voted against gay marriage...

And why do you have to write all this like a total d-bag. You must not be well-travelled if you think we live in a theocracy.

Mackinaw is correct. Almost 60% of Michigan voters voted to change the Michigan constitution and ban same-sex marriage during the Granholm years.

those are facts. Michigan voters were clear in their opinion and the Governor was required to follow the constitution of the State.

Approved by worldly cultures, not accepted by Christian churches.

My church was prohibited from performing my marriage. Because certain voters
    and elected officials voters thought the edicts of their churches should govern. That's theocratic.

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    A majority of Michiganders voted against gay marriage...

And why do you have to write all this like a total d-bag. You must not be well-travelled if you think we live in a theocracy.
    LOL!

Coming from a person like you -- I'll take your statement as a total compliment.

Now go drown your tears in what ever favorite beverage you have that will make your world spin well on its axis, again.

Ummm, just because the folks of this State voted in a knowingly unconstitutional law doesn't mean they were right -- they were duped; like you were.

Your response is very reflective of other folks who feel burned by their Bagger leaders.

Rightie Bagger World is not reality.

What is super awesome is that the DB that defended this thing was from Michigan government and got his ass handed to him during arguments.

I'm sure in a few minutes we will hear from Bull Schuette about how he's not going to recognize and enforce this ruling.

So my vote and anyone else to prevent same sex marriage does not count! That is not democracy. All Christian Churches will not approve homosexual marriages, never!

DetroiterontheWestCoast, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a theocracy is.

As a person who doesn't like labels, you should rethink what you think you know.

Today is a great day for freedom, why spend it throwing rocks?

President Obama Makes a Statement on Today's Ruling on Same-Sex Marriage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7Ufs0YnAs

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Mackinaw is correct. Almost 60% of Michigan voters voted to change the Michigan constitution and ban same-sex marriage during the Granholm years.

those are facts. Michigan voters were clear in their opinion and the Governor was required to follow the constitution of the State.
    No, he CHOSE to defend an unconstitutional provision. To retain his cred with his right flank. He could, perhaps, have decided to follow the path of the US attorney general or governor and attorney general of my adopted state of CA. He absolutely did not "have to" do this.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; June-26-15 at 10:28 AM.

That's it America has become Sodom and Gomorrah waiting to be destroyed by fire and brimstone from heaven.

Homosexual marriages may by legal, by not approved by the church.

"To the extent you must have anger it should be directed at the 50% of Michiganians/Americans who just got overruled."

Ummm, there is no anger at all -- nice try, pal.

Merely celebration that all of folks who think discrimination is ok finally got crapped on.

It took a long while but they've finally had their comeuppance.

Yes, it doesn't surprise me one bit that over 50% of the people of Michigan voted for this POS law.

As evidenced by the activities of the Snyder-lead Righties and Baggers; the people of Michigan seem to always vote against their best interest.

Now, you -- and everyone else, now knows all of those little bits of Religious-based ALEC generated legislation against same-sex people in this State that were passed recently is all pretty much trash, now.

The people of Michigan should be reimbursed for the tax dollars wasted enacting and enforcing these laws; it amounts to Political Fraud".

Totally embraced by my church; yours does not trump mine. Get over it.

Yeah, Danny...that's what they said when Women finally got the right to vote.

And when Slavery was abolished.

And when Prohibition was repealed.

Need I go on?!

Besides, it will probably be an eruption of Yellowstone. You'll still say it is from Heaven, I'll say its from Hell. We'll both likely be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    No, he CHOSE to defend an unconstitutional provision. To retain his cred with his right flank. He could, perhaps, have decided to follow the path of the US attorney general or governor and attorney general of my adopted state of CA. He absolutely did not "have to" do this.
    It was not unconstitutional until this morning. You know that. This morning.

When Snyder was sworn in he gave an oath to defend the Constitution of Michigan. That Constitution was amended by the a large plurality of voters to ban same-sex marriage.

Who wants a Governor to pick and choose which part of the Constitution to follow?

"So my vote and anyone else to prevent same sex marriage does not count! That is not democracy. All Christian Churches will not approve homosexual marriages, never!"

It did count.

You just voted for something that Government cannot enforce and was unconstitutional.

You should have known that from the start, but it's very apparent you allowed your discrimination mind-set to blind you in your decision - which is your bad and not anyone else's.

You should have known that, and frankly, you should punch who ever told you this was the right thing to do, right in the face for lying to you.

Religion has NO PLACE IN GOVERNMENT!!

We'll all be better off once the Righie Bagger folks stop using Government do tell what women must do with their bodies and who a person can fall in love with and have a life with.

Rightie Baggers hate infiltration of Government, unless that infiltration aligns with their ideas and religo-wakco agenda -- then soooo ok, right?

Have another bowl of Cherrios to cry in, pal.

Yeah, it was merely unconscionable before.

"Who wants a Governor to pick and choose which part of the Constitution to follow?"

He already does pick and choose.

Good ole Bull Schutte is his minion and Bull picks and chooses all of the time.

So your argument is basically junk.

Thanks for playing -- however, there are no parting gifts.

Don't let the door hit ya, too.

"However, I do see plural marriage as raising its head."

BS.

Obliviously, you have no idea what an expensive arrangement [[both physcially and fiscally) that is.

I bet now you're worry about people marrying dogs and cats; brothers and sisters getting married, etc.

Hey, 1950 called -- they need ya.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast