Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Does Anyone Use A Push Mower Anymore?

I'm curious. Are there any historic neighborhoods in the Detroit area that don't allow power mowers? I drove through a neighborhood of older homes near downtown Chelsea last summer and saw 2 people on different blocks using push mowers. I wondered at the time wether they were doing this for a better cut or because of some rule. I do remember reading in the late Jeff Ball's garden column in the Detroit News that you could not get a better cut than a push mower.

In my neighborhood there seems to be a constant noise from lawn crews and their really loud machines mixed with people using there own power mowers. Than instead of sweeping up afterwards they break out the blower; more noise.
    I've been using a power mower for years but I think when this one dies I may get a push mower. No more gas, oil, spark plugs and filters. And best of all, no noise. I can use the extra exercise and supposedly I'll get a better cut, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'm curious. Are there any historic neighborhoods in the Detroit area that don't allow power mowers? I drove through a neighborhood of older homes near downtown Chelsea last summer and saw 2 people on different blocks using push mowers. I wondered at the time wether they were doing this for a better cut or because of some rule. I do remember reading in the late Jeff Ball's garden column in the Detroit News that you could not get a better cut than a push mower.

In my neighborhood there seems to be a constant noise from lawn crews and their really loud machines mixed with people using there own power mowers. Than instead of sweeping up afterwards they break out the blower; more noise.
    I've been using a power mower for years but I think when this one dies I may get a push mower. No more gas, oil, spark plugs and filters. And best of all, no noise. I can use the extra exercise and supposedly I'll get a better cut, too.
    I regularly used a manual push mower, till yesterday. I got good results, but it does require sharpening and good adjustment. Power mowers overcome wear with, well, power.

Switched today to an inexpensive, light electric mower. Does a fine job. Less risk of highly anticipated Mouchian heart attack [[sorry DYers).
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; June-25-15 at 01:57 PM. Reason: cleanup

I agree with Mouch. I used to cut a neighbor lady's lawn with a push mower but they get dull fast and little things can get stuck in the reel. I recently replaced my gas one with a cordless electric. No hassle with gas, spark plugs, non-starts and a little quieter. Just don't get one with a cord, major nuisance, but the cordless are much cheaper now.

I used to have a small push mower but now I use a small cordless electric. It is neat. It has a [[light weight) rechargeable battery and is quiet and doesn't pollute. And best of all, no cord to pull.

Got a thank you note from Al Gore. Just kidding about the last sentence.

I use a push mower. It has a 6.5hp engine on it. Cuts like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post

If you go that route I would advise you to keep your lawn up. If your grass gets too long you're not going to be happy with one of those push things with no motor.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If you go that route I would advise you to keep your lawn up. If your grass gets too long you're not going to be happy with one of those push things with no motor.
    Not to mention they don't "dew' wet grass real well...

As for powered lawn mowers, my dad had a little Toro battery powered lawn mower for years. It was noticeably quieter than a gas powered model. It made it through 2 battery changes but rust made for it's ultimate demise.

I personally miss the 28 inch Snapper riding mower I sold in the last few years, riding mowers are like pick up trucks, don't realize their true value until they are no longer around. I'm pretty sick of the self propelled Craftsman model I figured would be sufficient.

On a side note, always exercise caution when attempting to free a stuck blade on a human powered model. NEVER USE YOUR HAND, find something to pry the stick or impediment out of the blade...

Could I borrow a lawn mower from one of you? I always wondered what it would do for my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Could I borrow a lawn mower from one of you? I always wondered what it would do for my lawn.
    Ray you need to water once in a while, even the animals look thirsty!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Ray you need to water once in a while, even the animals look thirsty!
    That looks like a little piggy statue in center frame. Very subtle. That's Michigan whimsy for you.

The house faces northwest, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

The house faces northwest, FWIW.
    It does, indeed. Good eye!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Reminds me of days in my youth. My friends would come over on their bikes to get me to go to the park or somewhere. My dad would say sure you can go, After You Cut The Lawn! Had to use a push mower, grass was high, blazing hot sun. Then I had to use the push edger and sweep up with a broom. Upon dad's inspection he always found a couple blades of grass I missed sweeping. It was pure torture.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  54.0 KB

my reel mower is a Fisker. The same Finnish folk that make high-end scissors. It works fine but does have a tough time with tall grass. I do borrow the neighbor's Honda on occasion when the backyard gets out of control.

i did have a 1967 Scott's but it had a maximum height of two inches and short grass requires a lot of water so I upgraded to the Fisker about three years ago.

My grand father's entire lawn was bent grass. This is the grass they plant on putting greens. He mowed it with a push more about twice a week to keep it really short. He had a small lot on Lang near Denby High. He also had a Scotts push mower and a back up as well. I can still hear the sound of the ball bears whenever you stopped and the blade would keep spinning. He would edge the lawn with hand sheers. I realized after many years that he was trying to escape his crazy wife! Outside and away from her. LOL

Husqvarna actually offers a push reel model that has a bagger for the clippings. I've never seen one used before. Here's a listing for it, on sale for $159, down from $219 according to this website. Free shipping too.

http://www.maxtool.com/husqvarna-64-...FQEdaQodyZgI6g

This is my Al Gore-endorsed mower. Electric [[unable to find one which runs solar), cordless, no fumes, etc... It has a 5 lb [[I guess) rechargeable battery visible with the handle showing.

The neighbor kids offer to pay me to cut my grass.

As I live in a townhome, the mower is 'right sized': Small lawns deserve small mowers... [[half of that grass is mine and half on the other side of the side walk is mine.) Maybe 400 square feet. Maybe 250 square feet [[?) in the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by emu steve; June-27-15 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    This is my Al Gore-endorsed mower. Electric [[unable to find one which runs solar), cordless, no fumes, etc... It has a 5 lb [[I guess) rechargeable battery visible with the handle showing.

The neighbor kids offer to pay me to cut my grass.

As I live in a townhome, the mower is 'right sized': Small lawns deserve small mowers... [[half of that grass is mine and half on the other side of the side walk is mine.) Maybe 400 square feet. Maybe 250 square feet [[?) in the back.
    I can't make out the brand name, who makes that?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Worx. Got it from Wal-Mart.

If I remember correctly, they have two sizes. I took the small size [[for obvious reasons) and also I have a narrow area between bricks surrounding a tree and other bricks. I bigger mower wouldn't work.

EDIT: Indeed two sizes, 14" and 19". The 19" is much more expensive. Has a bigger battery.

Think Home Depot also has it.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-27-15 at 07:45 AM.

With the amount of rain we've had this year [[I have grass growing in places it's never grown before) you would have to cut your lawn twice a week for those things to work. I think there's a reason you don't see too many of those mowers around.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Worx10 characters

Until very recently, I lived in an area of Wisconsin with a lot of Amish. They use hand mowers. It is the woman's job to mow until the oldest children can be harnessed. I've seen two little kids pushing a mower while one, who is the "horse", pulls with a rope.

I bought a Scotts hand mower once maybe 7 years ago when we lived in the suburbs. My sons would push it and got fed up because the lot was too big for that sort of thing. On a small plot it does the trick but like battery powered ones, they are limited to that. Then I bought a Honda from a Honda dealer, paid a lot more than the Honda powered otherbrand at Costco I saw the following week for a lot less. Oh well! My boys fought over who would use it. It left me to play golf in my mind while they sweated it out. Now that we moved to a house in the city, the front and back yards are grassless and I watch the flowers grow without the incessant noise of the weekend mower jivecats orchestra.