Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Should Police Ignore Open Carry Handguns

"WWJ: Two children are dead and three others are in critical condition after being struck by a vehicle that was fleeing from police in Detroit.
    According to police, the situation unfolded around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in an east side neighborhood near Warren Avenue and East Outer Drive.

Police say two officers spotted a red Chevrolet Camaro with two men inside — and one of them had a handgun. Officers activated their siren and attempted to pull the vehicle over, but the suspects took off and a chase ensued — reaching speeds above 70 miles per hour on residential streets....snip.."

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/06/...rted-over-gun/

Elsewhere, police department critics are rallying against the police for this pursuit.

I'm wondering what the best policy is for DPD. To stand down when they see a crime [[open carry in vehicle)? Or pursue for 75 seconds? At what point must they stop? How fast do suspects have to drive to be sure that cops can't follow?

This is certainly a very sad story. My condolences to the families of the victims. Story doesn't say if the victims survived their crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Elsewhere, police department critics are rallying against the police for this pursuit.

I'm wondering what the best policy is for DPD. To stand down when they see a crime [[open carry in vehicle)? Or pursue for 75 seconds? At what point must they stop? How fast do suspects have to drive to be sure that cops can't follow?

This is certainly a very sad story. My condolences to the families of the victims. Story doesn't say if the victims survived their crash.
    I'm wondering if the 2 assholes that caused this are still alive? If so, I hope they're hung in a public square.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm wondering if the 2 assholes that caused this are still alive? If so, I hope they're hung in a public square.
    Yeah. I understand the challenges of journalism, but how can even a grade school reporter not include anything about the perps? I think every reader would be curious to know the fate of the driver who killed children.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Must be a super slow day at the offices of Mooch, Mooch and Mooch ....

Wes, first thing there is no open carry in a vehicle or anything attached to the vehicle the firearm is now considered concealed . Even standing on a flat wide open trailer wearing a holster you need a CPL.

Second, this could be considered brandishing.

Unfortunate conclusion. I wonder who feels the most remorse cops or perps. We know the families do. Is Fieger not far behind?
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; June-25-15 at 11:20 AM.

Time to enable technology to shut down fleeing vehicles. End of story.

No, establish the following law:

If you choose to run from the police and the chase lasts more then 2 minutes, the police have free rein to go all Rodney King on you for fifteen minutes when you are caught with no consequences to the police. This is in addition to any other punishment for the crime that you are fleeing from.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    No, establish the following law:

If you choose to run from the police and the chase lasts more then 2 minutes, the police have free rein to go all Rodney King on you for fifteen minutes when you are caught with no consequences to the police. This is in addition to any other punishment for the crime that you are fleeing from.
    The liberals would never stand for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post

I'm a liberal and I would like to line up behind the cops and take a few shots at the perps.

No, they should not. The line between legal open carry and a nutcake is invisible and must be investigated to assure the safety of the public.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I'm a liberal and I would like to line up behind the cops and take a few shots at the perps.
    I love it when Righties and Baggers try to re-enforce stereotypes.

I'm a Liberal and I've got enough firepower to make any Bagger or Rightie shit their pants twice and call me Daddy.

Frankly, I think it's a great idea for pistol-packing Liberals to show up and open-carry at every location the Righties and Baggers "flex" their 2nd Amendment rights.

Liberals at that little party would probably out number'em, too.

Yes, I've been saying this for a while. The stereotype only serves certain purposes, for agendas beyond partisan politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, I've been saying this for a while. The stereotype only serves certain purposes, for agendas beyond partisan politics.
    I've never heard you say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Yet more clueless blanket statements...