Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Warrant Issued for Shepard Fairey

"[[WXYZ) - An arrest warrant has been signed for well known street artist Shepard Fairey.
    Fairey was invited by Billionaire Dan Gilbert Gilbert to Detroit in May to create a mural in Campus Martius.

While in town, Fairey hinted to 7 Action News he may leave other pieces of his artwork around town that were not commissioned. A couple of days later, his signature work popped up on buildings and the side of roadways.

Detroit police, which recently formed a task force address Detroit's graffiti problem, noticed the unauthorized work. An investigation was launched, which resulted in eight victims coming forward.

Police identified at least 14 locations with Fairey's signature work.
    A two count felony warrant has been issued for Fairey's arrest. If found guilty, he faces up to five years behind bars and a $10,000 fine.

7 Action News has reached out to Shepard Fairey and Dan Gilbert's Bedrock Real Estate company for comment, but we have yet to hear back."

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...ors_picks=true

Cost of doing business I guess.

At the risk of offending a lot of DetroitYes posters, hooray. Graffiti is vandalism.
    Take your shots.

DetroitBoy Guest

I am very happy they are going after him. Detroit is well known as worse than a third world country and that isn't going to change until it stops looking like one.

Go after everyone who defaces property by 'tagging'. The buildings aren't there for dogs to lift their legs and 'tag' them.
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; June-24-15 at 07:19 PM.

It would be interesting to hear from Gilbert on this. Did he hire the guy hoping to change him or did he just like his work and never thought about the tagging? This is a guy whose cameras helped police catch the two suburban girls who were tagging.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It would be interesting to hear from Gilbert on this. Did he hire the guy hoping to change him or did he just like his work and never thought about the tagging? This is a guy whose cameras helped police catch the two suburban girls who were tagging.
    Gilbert probably just likes his work. I like Roman Polanski's work. Still wouldn't invite him over when my daughter's at home. Fairey probably likes the thrill of doing the illicit -- so the legal system is helping him achieve his high. Everybody wins -- except the victims of course.

Great example of "Give'em an inch and they'll take a mile". Good luck trying to build anymore bridges with taggers. Open season on'em; lock all those fuckers up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    At the risk of offending a lot of DetroitYes posters, hooray. Graffiti is vandalism.
    Take your shots.
    It certainly is if the person has no permission to put it on someone's property. If there is permission, it's not vandalism. Without permission, it's a property crime.

Awesome response. I like how you wrote that!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Gilbert probably just likes his work. I like Roman Polanski's work. Still wouldn't invite him over when my daughter's at home. Fairey probably likes the thrill of doing the illicit -- so the legal system is helping him achieve his high. Everybody wins -- except the victims of course.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-25-15 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Gilbert likes money. Hiring a guy like this to spray paint his "art" on one of Gilbert's buildings, shows the kids how cool Gilbert really is, and the kids will give him more money.

If Fairey used any of the same paint purchased for the bigger job, I wonder if that makes Gilbert an accomplice?

That means, The Savior contributed to the destruction of property, at least economically.

That might be enough to trigger the RICO statutes...he likely paid for Fairey's transportation, lodging, and tool-shipping. He did everything but babysit his edgy artist...I'd say he's part of the liability loop, he should be forced to remove the 'legal' work done by the same guy.

He could have expressed himself on the walls of the Dequindre Cut....with the expansion and all....

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    If Fairey used any of the same paint purchased for the bigger job, I wonder if that makes Gilbert an accomplice?

That means, The Savior contributed to the destruction of property, at least economically.

That might be enough to trigger the RICO statutes...he likely paid for Fairey's transportation, lodging, and tool-shipping. He did everything but babysit his edgy artist...I'd say he's part of the liability loop, he should be forced to remove the 'legal' work done by the same guy.
    You'd have to prove Gilbert actually brought Fairey in for that specific purpose, and knew Fairey would carry out the alleged crime. If I hire you to mix sound for my concert, and you decide to rob the liquor store across the street between sets, am I an accomplice? Besides, I'm sure Gilbert's attorneys had Fairey sign a scope of work when they hired him. Anything Fairey decided to do with his free time, beyond that, is on him. That being said, I hope Fairey's public service time includes painting jail cells while he's in there.

Romani ite Domum!

You do this and make it known to hopefully deter the people who want to come in and destroy property. If the city devotes any funds to detaining him ill be pretty disappointed. It is a non-story in my opinion.

Glorifying the illegal is encouraging it.

Issuing an arrest warrant is glorifying it? I thought the goal was to practice your art and not get caught, not collect warrants.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Issuing an arrest warrant is glorifying it? I thought the goal was to practice your art and not get caught, not collect warrants.
    Practice it on paper or canvass, not on private buildings and structures.

Some of what he tagged was private property. For example, I think one clip had the Imagination Station [[the house down from Mercury Bar in Corktown). If I was that owner, I'd sue him for damages sufficient enough to cover the cost of renovating the entire home.

The Huffington Post article states that "A representative for Fairey told the newspaper Fairey was out of the country and that a representative would comment later."

If you are out of the country, upon your return to the US - would the government run your passport to determine if there are any outstanding warrants for your arrest before allowing you to enter?

I believe they will detain,call and see if the city wants to extradite,if you have a warrant most airports will detain anyways,take the train or bus.

The part that gets me is,you are invited to display your work and while you are there you basically crap on your host,I think they should have his commissioned mural removed in shame.

No wonder you guys cannot stand outsiders.

outlaw art lives on in the city of the abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No wonder you guys cannot stand outsiders.
    Not all, just the crappy ones....

DPD should arrest "ELMER" and "GASM" and stop obsessing with this out of towner.

Did anybody else read this as stuff got weird en route to Mackinac Island and Shepler's Ferry was shut down?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Nope, paying for an artist to do a large public work, well known for his protest efforts done outside the law, is glorifying graffiti. Glorifying graffiti is encouraging illegal behavior. Case closed.

Gilbert is part of a group which brought a well-known outlaw to town, and now the town wants to prosecute said outlaw. Follow the money. Any liability must certainly include the one who paved his welcome.

And yes, it would be best to remove the large proof of this association.

Corporate glorifying of graffiti is so 2014, anyways.
    Last edited by Gannon; June-25-15 at 06:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast