Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Rash of carjackings hit west side of Detroit with 4 incidents in 1 night

Well it looks like the West Side has it recently [[the uptick in crime). The no-snitchin' thing is afoot. So we're going about to drive in fear? Insane!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/29...nts-in-1-night

When is it going to stop? Can't even be safe driving to work. I have noticed most carjackings happen between 1:00 am and 5:00 am in the morning.

I haven't been keeping up with the crime stats. But are four jackings in one night highly unusual?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    When is it going to stop? Can't even be safe driving to work. I have noticed most carjackings happen between 1:00 am and 5:00 am in the morning.
    It won't stop until people dedicate as much time videoing these crimes as they do shadowing the police and videoing them. Until then, it's probably wise to avoid the city especially after dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Left_For_Texas View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with the crime stats. But are four jackings in one night highly unusual?

on the freeway, bumping and forcing folks to stop?

yeah, that's unusual.

not unlike Los Angeles, there are a TON of folk who will never get OFF the freeway in the city because of their fear

you can often see them driving 20-30 mph over the limit, just to speed through town as quickly as they can

now? not unlike LA after Ennis Cosby was killed on the 405, those freeway folk are not going to know what to do. there used to be a bit of comfort for them to be on the freeway

they ain't got that as long as these bozos are out and about

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    on the freeway, bumping and forcing folks to stop?

yeah, that's unusual.

not unlike Los Angeles, there are a TON of folk who will never get OFF the freeway in the city because of their fear

you can often see them driving 20-30 mph over the limit, just to speed through town as quickly as they can

now? not unlike LA after Ennis Cosby was killed on the 405, those freeway folk are not going to know what to do. there used to be a bit of comfort for them to be on the freeway

they ain't got that as long as these bozos are out and about
    A good driver over can out-drive a jacker and put him into the wall. The key is recognizing threats before something happens. Good reason to drive big SUV and hone your skills.

Just out of curiosity, why carjack someone when in the process, you f*** up the car your carjacking? I get the stickup at a gas station or 7-11 when the person is immobile, but to ram a car or put it into the freeway wall and damage it seems to get in the way of flipping the car for cash.

Needless to say, I'll be more vigilant driving on the freeways in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why carjack someone when in the process, you f*** up the car your carjacking? I get the stickup at a gas station or 7-11 when the person is immobile, but to ram a car or put it into the freeway wall and damage it seems to get in the way of flipping the car for cash.

Needless to say, I'll be more vigilant driving on the freeways in the morning.
    It's a handful of specific parts that are the valuable parts in the car, not the body. They're not flipping these cars to people to drive as-is, they are getting chopped or otherwise stripped of a few valuable components and then dumped. Body damage is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    It's a handful of specific parts that are the valuable parts in the car, not the body. They're not flipping these cars to people to drive as-is, they are getting chopped or otherwise stripped of a few valuable components and then dumped. Body damage is irrelevant.
    Wheels, tires and drive trains are resold, along with nav systems and sound systems. Ironically, most sound systems will only work with a specific VIN so they are worthless.

Intact vehicles ARE often driven as-is, often with a stolen plate and sometimes for many months in the city since they know they won't be stopped.

The wild, wild west has returned.

Frontier justice is called for.

For this reason, I'm wary of getting boxed in and traffic. It annoys people when I leave more than a car length between me and the person in front of me at a light.

They will have to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Wheels, tires and drive trains are resold, along with nav systems and sound systems. Ironically, most sound systems will only work with a specific VIN so they are worthless.

Intact vehicles ARE often driven as-is, often with a stolen plate and sometimes for many months in the city since they know they won't be stopped.
    Don't forget airbags and catalytic converters, they get close to $1,000 a pop for those.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-23-15 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post

Sure, then you'll be the one who ends up in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Sure, then you'll be the one who ends up in jail.
    Beats the morgue.

Ray1936-Beats the morgue.
    Amen Ray!
    [[Drove by your childhood home in GR-looks great, so does the neighborhood.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post

Does it matter if the car is OLD or new? What make of car do they most hijack?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Does it matter if the car is OLD or new? What make of car do they most hijack?
    There have been numerous articles and reports on this line of business. They mostly go for middle of the road vehicles, that are sold in great numbers. The more of those kinds of cars that are out there, the more chances you have for accidents, and the bigger the demand for parts. Of course there are other factions, that go after the high end market for resale and such.

And Chryslers [[certain models: Chargers, 300's, 200's, Challengers, Jeeps, etc) as the parts are very interchangeable and theirs the hype associated especially with the Chargers. But any car can be subject to jacking or being stolen. I have a kill switch, alarm and a club on an older car. I'd at least like to slow the thief down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Beats the morgue.
    I don't like either alternative. I like driving away or handing over my keys unless there is no way out other then pulling a gun and pulling the trigger. I like sleeping in my own bed, not a casket or a prison cot.

I don't like either alternative. I like driving away or handing over my keys unless there is no way out other then pulling a gun and pulling the trigger. I like sleeping in my own bed, not a casket or a prison cot.
    I feel ya on that one. Life is already too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Rick View Post

[[Drove by your childhood home in GR-looks great, so does the neighborhood.)
    Ah! Hate to thread hijack, but delighted to hear that. Often wondered where I'd be now if Dad's camera shop hadn't gone belly-up in '41 and we moved to Detroit.

Every situation is different. Plenty of victims have been shot after handing over the keys. Be alert, recognize situations, and avoid if possible.

Some people have OnStar or some other technology which makes it possible to remotely stop the vehicle. I would imagine the technology is not that expensive. the people could hand over the keys then make a call or have a fob that could stop the vehicle after a mile or two. Or better yet GPS hidden in the car to track it for the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Good reason to drive big SUV and hone your skills.
    You'd be surprised what a mid-2000's FWD Vue can do. I was out practicing early this morning on the drunks...it is easier than it looks. Almost no sign of it after four attempts, too. I guess having plastic body panels helps. Thanks for the advice!