Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Nature's fireworks

Might be a good night for an all nighter if you don't have to work tomorrow:

U.S. National Weather Service [[NWS)

The NWS Space Weather Prediction Center has issued a Warning for G4 [[severe) geomagnetic storm that is currently underway.
    Potential impacts include:
    Power Syst...ems: Possible widespread voltage control problems and some protective systems will mistakenly trip out key assets from the grid
    Spacecraft Operations: May experience surface charging and tracking problems, corrections may be needed for orientation problems
    Other Systems: Induced pipeline currents affect preventive measures, HF radio propagation sporadic, satellite navigation degraded for hours, low-frequency radio navigation disrupted, and aurora.

Thanks, Jim.

You're most welcome, Ray.

I once worked with satellites. It's truly amazing that they can be pushed out of orbit by something as minor as these solar winds. It's such a major concern that they have to add reserve fuel to allow for these course corrections.

Well, there's nothing to provide any resistance, I would suppose. Were something in space light enough, like the proverbial feather, I imagine even photons could give it a push.

Default Another kind of fireworks

The northern lights were spectacular up at the foot of Lake Superior last night. This copyright picture was taken by a Bay Mills Indian Community photographer.

Beautiful! Thanks for the post, Gaz.

Was anyone able to observe the Northern Lights, [[not the bar) from the Metro-Detroit area last night? There were a few news stories floating around that it may have been possible. I got up and went out a couple of times, but other than a crystal clear sky, it was just the usual things hanging up there.

66 photos from Weather.com: Rare Aurora Borealis Sighting in the U.S. [[PHOTOS)

Some of these look almost too good to be true.