Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I hardly think a few harsh words from atheists in any way justifies the persecution complex that so many Christians have in this country. Target wishes its customers "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas, and Fox News declares it a "War on Christmas." That's what qualifies as persecution to Christians in America.
    You make a good point. All this 'war on...' rhetoric is harmful.

Yet, there is a point to be made. Socially, saying 'Merry Christmas' is fraught with risks. There are many who consider it a micro-aggression. And G0d knows we must respect people's comfort zones.

If absolutely zero for pork consumption, watch out on those franks! Ha-ah! Even the chicken ones sold at the better stores have pork 'casings' usually.

Stated as so on the back of the package in the fine print..........

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Yeah...better be Kosher/Halal Beef Franks, or you will really fail to attract the Judaic and Muslim factions you were hoping to draw. Also, it's an affront to vegetarians, despite how much the New Testament [[not to mention the beginning of Daniel) encourages tolerance to other folk's various diets [[Romans 14 being a fine example-though the wording of "weak" is used in an unsound and archaic fashion.).

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Yet, there is a point to be made. Socially, saying 'Merry Christmas' is fraught with risks. There are many who consider it a micro-aggression. And G0d knows we must respect people's comfort zones.

Yet, there is a point to be made. Socially, saying 'HAPPY HOLIDAYS' is fraught with risks. There are many who consider it a micro-aggression. And God knows we must respect people's comfort zones.

http://www.newsmax.com/Parker/Educat.../20/id/645731/

http://blog.sfgate.com/dailydish/201...s-at-colleges/

Veteran comedian Jerry Seinfeld has stopped taking gigs at universities because he believes college students are “too politically correct” to appreciate his routine.

Another university now has disclaimers and warnings for every course,for instance if you reference Greece you must include a disclaimer because they had a history of rape and you may have a student that suffered,and the discussion may be uncomfortable for them.

One study revealed that this all increased 80% in the last 3 years.

How long has it been since Seinfeld was funny?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    My guess would be about 3 years ago?

Yet, there is a point to be made. Socially, saying 'HAPPY HOLIDAYS' is fraught with risks. There are many who consider it a micro-aggression. And God knows we must respect people's comfort zones.
    a group of us quietly and behind the scenes directed all corporate comms to change over from "merry christmas" to "happy holidays" and always to reference the "holiday season" and remove entirely any reference to any religion. [[also included was "have a blessed day" or "god bless you" in a non post sneeze context)

we framed it as both a money saver...we saved a surprisingly large amount just doing generic stuff [[both in actual $$ cost and time getting someone to sit down and do the various notes, mailings...etc). Happy Holidays works from Thanksgiving thru new years.... and as being tolerant and inclusive of all religions and religious celebrations during that season. the email I drafted was an absolute masterwork of PC buzz words and corporate speak. I wish I still had it somewhere.

But really, the only purpose for the change was to piss off a group of permanently aggrieved "war on christmas" crusaders that perpetually had their panties in such a twist about it every year. heads exploded when that memo hit the inbox. [[it was rumored that one guy quit over it.... but that was never confirmed, I'd put even money he was let go for being really bad at his job) It was a highlight of my work shenanigans. You have to make work fun after all.
    Last edited by bailey; August-19-15 at 02:42 PM.

WHAT!?!? Only GOD knows???? Are you implying Buddah, Krishna, Allah, Satan, Jehovah, A Golden Calf, THE Almighty Dollar, and all the other deities, have NO knowledge of other people's comfort zones?????

Seinfeld was funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Instead ask an average Detroiter, not 'tea-party-member, fox-only-watchin', but the man or woman on the street, coworker, etc. as to how they feel being a Christian these days.

You might find the opinion a bit varied, and not necessarily partisan 'tethered'.
    Just like how I hear some white males say that "white men are the most oppressed group in America." I'm not concerned with the self-pity and persecution complex of a majority group who feel threatened by the fact that they no longer hold a social monopoly to the detriment of all other groups.

Only in America would a group of people perceive NOT being allowed to persecute others as persecution towards themselves.

... Only in America would a group of people perceive NOT being allowed to persecute others as persecution towards themselves.
    That phenomenon doesn't get discussed often enough. I think it doesn't get discussed because it's such an absurd position, it shuts down the conversation and then remains the last idea expressed.

Absurdities should be ridiculed with laughter.

And is this really "only in America"? If so, why would that be? That's embarrassing.

Just like how I hear some white males say that "white men are the most oppressed group in America." I'm not concerned with the self-pity and persecution complex of a majority group who feel threatened by the fact that they no longer hold a social monopoly to the detriment of all other groups.

Only in America would a group of people perceive NOT being allowed to persecute others as persecution towards themselves.
    This is what happens with a lack of diversity. I lived in Detroit until I was 10 and then moved up north to a rural area. When I go back to visit friends up north I hear things of this nature a lot. Whether it be white males or Christians that they claim to be oppressed. I almost lost it on one when he tried to tell me racism didn't really exist anymore. I'm not sure how being exposed to 5 people of color in your life or never meeting anyone that wasn't a Christian gives you any insight into the real world.

No, not like that [[per my original post #75). You've gone into another direction. One suiting another narrative.

Last edited by Zacha341; August-22-15 at 08:26 AM.

Interesting how these types have no problem selling fiscal conservatism to the point of shutting down government but have no problem milking some extra pay checks when their political career is dead in the water.
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...duct/71460408/

Courser, Gamrat affair wasn't the only problem
    But even before news of the affair and alleged cover-up surfaced, constituents in their districts — Courser is from Lapeer County and Gamrat hails from the west Michigan town of Plainwell — were unhappy with how the two were performing their jobs back home. They were used to highly involved lawmakers who were fixtures at community meetings and events. That mostly stopped when Courser and Gamrat took office.

"He showed up at one of our meetings for the first time a couple of weeks ago," said Lapeer County Commissioner Lenny Schneider of Courser. "It's really important to have some type of visibility with the local governments, especially the county, because the county and state government are tied at the hips."

Cindy Howell, secretary of the Lapeer County Republican Party, said Courser has shown up at party meetings maybe twice since he was elected in November.

"It seems that he's constantly fighting the entire system and there's no cooperation whatsoever. It's his way or no way," she said. "He's our representative, but I don't think he's representing all of Lapeer County. Maybe there's his select group that is content with what he's doing, but the vast majority doesn't believe he's working in the best interests of Lapeer County."...

Donald Chapman, a retired school employee who lives in Gamrat's district, said he has tried to get in touch with Gamrat several times, months before the scandal broke, and she never returned his calls.

Chapman, who said he considers himself an independent voter, said he reached out to both Gamrat and his state senator, Sen. Tonya Schuitmaker, R-Lawton, about a proposed civil forfeiture law he was interested in, but only Schuitmaker and her staff got back to him.

"You get a voice mail over there," Chapman said of Gamrat's office. "You leave a message that doesn't get returned. I think she should resign."

It's a problem Schuitmaker has noticed since Gamrat took office in January. She said she rarely sees Gamrat at events around the district and often hears from constituents that they have to rely on her for help instead of their state representative.
    Hypocritical infidelity aside, the bolded is what this is really about. They infiltrate government so as to sabotage government so as to rationalize their simpleminded anti-government ideology. It's the recipe for disaster capitalism.

It's a pattern that extends far beyond just Courser and Gamrat. They deliberately plot to create the problems that they pretend to solve. They are saboteurs. They cause harm to us all.

These are the Parasitic Saboteurs in Power™.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-01-15 at 10:20 PM.

It is impossible to be an effective legislator, and provide good constituent services, when your agenda is to more or less destroy government.

And of course you can lie through your teeth as long as you are lying for Jesus.

This thread still has me reeling over the thought Bernie Sanders and Bill de Blasio could be considered radicals.

And of course you can lie through your teeth as long as you are lying for Jesus.
    Gads. I hope that is sarcasm. The end doesn't justify the means in a genuine Christian sense. In fact, any person who feels truth is a compromiseable thing, are the very personalities Christians are asked to avoid keeping company with.

Although I am far from a respectable representation of Christianity, I make it part of my calling to call out the hypocrites who parade their faith and do the opposite [[or put emphasis on other things). In fact, if you really sit down and analyze and divide up the beliefs and affiliations of much of the Religious Right, you will find it is never about sound doctrine, but more about political interests [[those that serve rich, class-exploiting mentalities). I was going to add a quote by Sinclair Lewis, only to find it was inaccurate and the closest to it was from one of his writings: "I just wish people wouldn't quote Lincoln or the Bible, or hang out the flag or the cross, to cover up something that belongs more to the bank-book and the three golden balls."

Here we go again; Michigan GOP Theocracy Caucus has a new proposal.

Michigan officials should ignore gay marriage ruling, lawmakers say at "religious freedom" rally

Above is the title of the Mlive article, but I put "religious freedom" in quotation marks, as I believe Mlive should have. The rally was not about freedom.

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/in...e_gay_mar.html

Lets just pick and choose which court decisions we want to follow, because that's what the founding fathers had in mind.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; December-04-15 at 11:48 AM.

Lets just pick and choose which court decisions we want to follow, because that's what the founding fathers had in mind.
    Yes, those guys spoke of liberty, but they were slave-owners.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4