Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fox Theatre Marquee

The Fox Theatre Marquee is getting an upgrade, or replacement whichever way you want to look at it.

Interesting details from the Freep:
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...cade/28994813/

Photo Gallery:
    http://www.freep.com/picture-gallery...nage/28992551/

Probably the biggest quote that stuck out to me though:

"The Ilitch family, which owns the Fox, "spared no expense," said Spectrum sales associate Kerry Kulas, whose grandfather was a stone mason on the original building."

Unfortunately they are capable of paying a lot of $$ for utter crap, so I am holding my breath. I dislike the loss of the old school marquee.

Was the Historic District Commission consulted on this? I wonder if this goes to historic elements of the structure.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Unfortunately they are capable of paying a lot of $$ for utter crap, so I am holding my breath. I dislike the loss of the old school marquee.

Was the Historic District Commission consulted on this? I wonder if this goes to historic elements of the structure.
    The HC is very busy these days protecting defunct fire hydrants in Brush Park they are worried will be destroyed by the new development. I heard a few members are free now though after being tossed out on the street in front of the Park Ave Hotel so they will be headed over to the Fox immediately to protect the historically significant light bulbs on the current marquee.

It's going to be strange seeing that familiar marquee with LED signs announcing the upcoming shows there.

[QUOTE=Mackinaw;481603]Unfortunately they are capable of paying a lot of $$ for utter crap, so I am holding my breath. I dislike the loss of the old school marquee.
    [QUOTE]

The original marquee was replaced in the late 1930's, then the vertical sign was removed and the rooftop tower sign added. The 2nd marquee was modified a number of times in the 1950's. The "old school marquee" and vertical sign, added in 1988 was controversial with "purists" but evoked the gaudy era that the Fox represents.

Your opinion of the new signage being utter crap, in unfair. It is one of the many investments in the facility. The theatre is lovingly maintained...any patron created damage is swiftly repaired, the custom designed carpeting has been replaced numerous times since 1988. Major restoration is underway on the huge Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ. The investment in the building has been constant and expense has never been questioned.

We, [[Detroit) are lucky the Ilitch family maintains this facility to this degree. Other similar theatres around the country have not been maintained as well or restored as accurately. And the same can be also said for The DetroitOpera House and Orchestra Hall, also maintained to a high standard after authentic, historically accurate restoration.

And all three are design of Charles Howard Crane. That alone is notable.
    Last edited by detroitbob; June-20-15 at 03:43 AM.

Excellent post. Lot of detailed information.

O/T to this thread, but the Ilitches also spent 10M on the very impressive new scoreboard in Comerica a few year back.

It was needed because of changes in technology since Comerica opened.

[QUOTE=detroitbob;481639][QUOTE=Mackinaw;481603]Unfortunately they are capable of paying a lot of $$ for utter crap, so I am holding my breath. I dislike the loss of the old school marquee.

The original marquee was replaced in the late 1930's, then the vertical sign was removed and the rooftop tower sign added. The 2nd marquee was modified a number of times in the 1950's. The "old school marquee" and vertical sign, added in 1988 was controversial with "purists" but evoked the gaudy era that the Fox represents.

Your opinion of the new signage being utter crap, in unfair. It is one of the many investments in the facility. The theatre is lovingly maintained...any patron created damage is swiftly repaired, the custom designed carpeting has been replaced numerous times since 1988. Major restoration is underway on the huge Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ. The investment in the building has been constant and expense has never been questioned.

We, [[Detroit) are lucky the Ilitch family maintains this facility to this degree. Other similar theatres around the country have not been maintained as well or restored as accurately. And the same can be also said for The DetroitOpera House and Orchestra Hall, also maintained to a high standard after authentic, historically accurate restoration.

And all three are design of Charles Howard Crane. That alone is notable.
    [[Pssssst...... there's a big brown spot on your nose.....)

Name:  fox marque.JPG
Views: 2885
Size:  73.4 KB

The marquee has come a long way since 85!

I don't really see the necessity in replacing the analog boards. I get that they want several revolving advertisements for shows, but that does nothing for me. I worry it will kill some of the ambiance when looking at the marquee and seeing a screen change, or additional color/light pollution that steals some of the neon's thunder.

Its sweet he's replacing the neon and not opting for LED, but on the other hand he is opting for LED screens. I personally would like the Fox to stay as authentic looking as possible. If I was a visitor [[not knowing the history) the LED signs scream "renovation" and not "restoration" compared to whats presently there. That is a shame.
    Last edited by Dbest; June-20-15 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

The current marquee was installed in 1988. It has been replaced every 20-30 years since the theatre was built. Signs just don't last more than that long.

Spectrum does good work. I'm confident that the neon will be stellar, faithful to the original, and properly engineered to last for another 30 years.

Fairmont knows what they're doing in terms of fabricating large signage. They mostly do massive corporate work regional and national chains.

Given the scale of the work, I'm having a hard time thinking of anybody in southeast Michigan more qualified to do it than them.

Changeable copy marquees are a charming throwback, but we only like them because we're so familiar with them. The typography is, in fact, horrible, monotonous, and as a rule poorly laid out. A well-managed LED marquee could be awesome. It could also be really really cheesy and obnoxious. That's harder to predict.

[[A lot of my optimism is based on the line in the FreeP article that "the only thing that will be notably different to passersby" is the LED marquee.)

Not brown nosing...it is the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post

I don't really see the necessity in replacing the analog boards. I get that they want several revolving advertisements for shows, but that does nothing for me. I worry it will kill some of the ambiance when looking at the marquee and seeing a screen change, or additional color/light pollution that steals some of the neon's thunder.

Its sweet he's replacing the neon and not opting for LED, but on the other hand he is opting for LED screens. I personally would like the Fox to stay as authentic looking as possible. If I was a visitor [[not knowing the history) the LED signs scream "renovation" and not "restoration" compared to whats presently there. That is a shame.
    Nationally, most historic theatres have switched to digital marquee readerboards. Detroit's two 'sister' Fox Theatres in St. Louis and Atlanta both kept historic marquees but have digital readerboards.

What's the necessity? Digital board can be changed quickly, and right during shows without danger. New information can be immediately updated. Font sizes are infinitely selectable, and logos for sponsors can be displayed. Ads are possible. And the sign can display lists of upcoming events, rather than just one single thing. It also makes possible meeting the very specific requirements of artists about the size of each name relative to each other. Do you think names at the end of movies are just sized to look pretty? No -- its all very particular. For example, Lord of the Dance must say 'Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance'. Digital isn't necessary, but its very desirable.

Never thought I'd ever read an entire marque thread but this one is interesting, complete with some controversy.

DetroitBoy Guest

The real shame is that you prefer the trashed out look of the theatre in this pic with its broken plastic, peeling paint and metal, and broken cements curbs under the guise of it being 'authentic'. As Detroitbob explained, this isn't even the original signage on the theater which has been updated multiple times during the history of the Fox. I find the preservationists in this town hilarious when they foam at the mouth about these type of things which are not even original to the structure.

For those of you who are still fretting over how a LED bulb will deface the facade of this landmark, take a look at this pic of the restored Apollo Theater. The marquee has been LED for the last 10 years and it does not appear to have ruined the ambiance of the place, in fact, the area around it is the type of vibrant space you should keep praying comes to Detroit one day.

Thank god the rebirth of the city of Detroit continues to gain momentum in spite of those who would rather live in its ruins than support those who are building it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; June-20-15 at 09:27 PM.

That is one awesome photograph... the marquee is vibrant, no doubt...

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Thank god the rebirth of the city of Detroit continues to gain momentum in spite of those who would rather live in its ruins than support those who are building it.
    Yawn*

I might listen to you if you were defending anybody but Mike Illitch. At least you didnt attempt another joke about fire hydrants.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Yawn*

I might listen to you if you were defending anybody but Mike Illitch. At least you didnt attempt another joke about fire hydrants.
    Exactly. The Apollo can do it, because it isn't owned by Mike Ilitch. Makes sense to some of us.

The 1940's era Fox Marquee,,,picture dates from a movie opening in 1948. This version was again modified at least 3 times before replacement in 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    The real shame is that you prefer the trashed out look of the theatre in this pic with its broken plastic, peeling paint and metal, and broken cements curbs under the guise of it being 'authentic'. As Detroitbob explained, this isn't even the original signage on the theater which has been updated multiple times during the history of the Fox. I find the preservationists in this town hilarious when they foam at the mouth about these type of things which are not even original to the structure.

For those of you who are still fretting over how a LED bulb will deface the facade of this landmark, take a look at this pic of the restored Apollo Theater. The marquee has been LED for the last 10 years and it does not appear to have ruined the ambiance of the place, in fact, the area around it is the type of vibrant space you should keep praying comes to Detroit one day.

Listen Boy, I was complimenting the work that was done since 85. Why don't you take it out of half cocked mode and settle down. I posted the picture of the sign in 1985. BTW That Apollo sign is atrocious. You found one big name theater and have latched on.

Heres a better idea of what the sign looks like at the Apollo during the day:
    Name:  apollo crap.jpg
Views: 2284
Size:  146.4 KB

Real nice except the LED screen, haha!

Heres what the Apollo looked like before the screen:

Name:  apollo.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  62.0 KB

Keep pretending it looks better or is going to be more vibrant.

Also check out how much the "outdated' readers play into the Chrysler eminem video ending. It's not a coincidence they loved the old reader and featured it prominently. here you go:

Name:  eminem in front of the fox.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  64.0 KB

The irony of the message behind him on the sign isn't lost on me. Don't let me interrupt the Illitch "hero talk" though...
    Last edited by Dbest; June-21-15 at 07:09 AM.

Anybody else hate the old nasty scoreboards at Wrigley Field or Fenway Park too? I cant believe they didn't replace those with some awesome LED screens that can be controlled by computers. Who needs anything antiquated anymore? Tear that shit out and stuff some technology in it!

Why don't you take the lead and stuff it?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Why don't you take the lead and stuff it?
    Rough night at the plant?

Anybody else hate the old nasty scoreboards at Wrigley Field or Fenway Park too? I cant believe they didn't replace those with some awesome LED screens that can be controlled by computers. Who needs anything antiquated anymore? Tear that shit out and stuff some technology in it!
    IMO, the problem with digital readerboards [[or scoreboard) isn't with the technology itself. Look at the Apollo photos. Digital can be tasteful and historically appropriate.

However digital does enable bad design. Sometimes simplicity is best. The Fenway scoreboard is simplicity. Crucial, slow-changing information shouldn't be changed and moved around constantly. Digital enables bad choices.

The technology itself isn't the problem. It is that the marketers get control of the machine -- and they push aside the simple delivery of information done so well by Fenway's wall. It gets replaced with ads for Fidelity Investments.

Keep it classy, keep it old school.

Hey, hey, ho, ho, LED has got to go.

Gawd.... some of us are cranky.... leave town for a while... and all hell breaks loose!!

First of all... yes the marque needs to be restored... not sure of the vertical blade signage, but the Marquee could use an upgrade. There is nothing historic about it, except maybe from a nostalgia feel to it.

Here is a pictoral history of the Detroit Fox marquee and blade signs [[when there was one).....

1928.... not sure this simple and oh so dull looking marquee and blade sign were actually like this, or if this was one of the "artistic license" that post card makers used to embellish their images with. Very dull looking.

1929.... if there was a plain blade sign, then it was soon replaced with something much more elaborate.... with the words "FOX THEATRE" spelled out in the vertical blade sign. Probably the best of the old signs, but not as good as the current one.

1947... the vertical blade sign was removed, but attractive neon triple sided marquee sign was added. Typical design used in that era.

1956.... the marquee sign was changed again, staying in place for 3 decades, until the Ilitch's took over... still no vertical blade sign. Glad it's gone.

1988... the new vertical blade sign with just the words "FOX" spelled out, very nicely done, although those Griffons looked a bit 2 dimensional and cheezy. The new marquee didn't look too bad, and as an entire composition, it was way better than the Fox Theatre signs in Atlanta and St. Louis.

As for preservationists screaming bloody murder... I haven't heard a peep from anyone a Preservation Detroit about this.... so the only preservationists really unhappy appear to be some armchair preservationists.
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by Gistok; June-25-15 at 06:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast