Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: RIP Alan Almond

Default RIP Alan Almond

I think we could call him a radio legend in Detroit, couldn't we? I never listened to him too much, and I always imagined his show appealed to lonely females, not that there's anything wrong with that. He seemed really good at what he did. Dick Purtan's show was parodying him so he must have been doing something right.
    http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...wnic/28840493/

Ohhh...that dreamy smooth voice! I remember spending lots of hours listening to him. Hopefully there is a broadcast booth in heaven with your name on it, Alan Almond. You brought hours of joy to lovers of all ages. RIP

Never heard of him. May he RIP though.

He benefited greatly from a device called a Sub Octave synthesizer. Governor Nerd would sound like Barry White with that box.

I used to listen to Alan Almond. I'll never forget his voice saying "this is Pillow Talk, with Alan Almond."

It says in the freep article that he lived on Birwood Street, that's NW Detroit unless I'm mistaken about a Birwood St. in the suburbs - pretty cool that Alan kept it real all these years by pillow talking in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    He benefited greatly from a device called a Sub Octave synthesizer. Governor Nerd would sound like Barry White with that box.
    Fiddling with which is what got Jim Paolucci canned from WNIC back in the day, too.

One afternoon he was in a particularly loose mood, and said "Now I'll make myself sound like...Alan Almond...", while switching in that sub-synth. The dbx version was called the Subharmonic Synthesizer, we had one at retail at Tech Hifi...it might've been the model 120.

Don't give the guv any tips, Packman!

RIP, Mr. Almond...I can remember listening to ya back in high school.

My best memories were coming home after a mellow date with then-to-be-hubbie, parking in front of my aunt's house, and necking. Our favorite song was "That's All". My son mentioned "Summer Madness" as being a common background piece for him. RIP, Alan.

I imagine Alan was a party to a variety of romantic trysts...all over the airwaves of course.

I know "Pillowtalk" helped me set the mood during my long-gone Romeo days.

When I learned of his passing, I shot a text to my HS girlfriend [[we keep in touch) with something like ""remember him? with a wink".

I got a very nice "Remember YOU more" text in return.

Romeo days indeed.

Wonder how many "invitations" he received from the lady listeners.

I mean....it had to happen occasionally, right?

I'm a guy, and all these years later I remember him. Found his voice annoying, but I respect Ollie Fretter too. People who do what they accomplish to do well. Yes. Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I'm a guy, and all these years later I remember him. Found his voice annoying, but I respect Ollie Fretter too. People who do what they accomplish to do well. Yes. Legend.
    Hey, have the right voice and you can do much. Thurl Ravenscroft made eating cereal iconic. I respect the women who get roles in cartoons [[E.G. Daily, Melanie Chartoff, Nancy Cartwright, and I still think vine personality Meghan McCarthy has a future in it, as well.). The idea of deep voice-manipulation is funny [[without the Nitrous Oxide) to me though, like Laurie Anderson did or Wallace Shawn in "Radio Days" [["Beware evildoers, wherever you are!").

Maybe Alan still had a soothing touch no modulator, Vox filter, or thinga-ma-doohick can adulterate [[not like the pitch-tuned crud in Top-40's music today.). Didn't get all into your show, Mr. Almond, but RIP.

A true radio legend!! Loved Alan Almond, often listening to him while I did homework. If I was out for the evening, only him would be on the car radio. And falling to sleep to Alan Almond was a pleasure.

RIP, Alan Almond!! You will remain a bright light in our memories!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post
    Wonder how many "invitations" he received from the lady listeners.
    Often, but he kept a low profile. Never appeared in publicity photos. I heard a story where fans would line up outside the station and he would blow by them claiming to be an engineer.
    Last edited by JBMcB; June-20-15 at 08:17 AM. Reason: fix phraseology