Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What could be a new Detroit-Windsor Joint Festival?

Detroit and Windsor share the Freedom Festival Fireworks show. I was wondering what other joint festivals exist, or in the alternative, what new festivals you guys think that could be started for both cities to celebrate together?

Is it still called the Freedom Festival fireworks? Other than you can`t stop people on the Windsor side from looking at the fireworks I don`t think there is any sharing going on anymore. Detroit has River Days and Windsor has Summerfest. Seems like both sides do their own thing now and the border hassles don`t lend to changing things anytime soon.

Well, If marijuana were legal on both sides of the world...

The Olympics..

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    ... I was wondering what other joint festivals exist...
    Ann Arbor Hash Bash, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Is it still called the Freedom Festival fireworks? Other than you can`t stop people on the Windsor side from looking at the fireworks I don`t think there is any sharing going on anymore. Detroit has River Days and Windsor has Summerfest. Seems like both sides do their own thing now and the border hassles don`t lend to changing things anytime soon.
    That's the International Freedom Festival, to you. The festivals themselves are separate and the Fireworks are sponsored by Target and Ford, but the entirety of the events is still called the International Freedom Festival. The fests and fireworks celebrate both Canada Day and Independence Day as well as, to a certain extent, Canadian-American friendship. Think of baseball; there's the NL and the AL but they both make up MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    That's the International Freedom Festival, to you. The festivals themselves are separate and the Fireworks are sponsored by Target and Ford, but the entirety of the events is still called the International Freedom Festival. The fests and fireworks celebrate both Canada Day and Independence Day as well as, to a certain extent, Canadian-American friendship. Think of baseball; there's the NL and the AL but they both make up MLB.
    You would think they would mention it's part of the I.F.F. on their websites:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...96041959,d.cWc

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...96041959,d.cWc