Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Richard Branson - Virgin Galactic Trip

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread started about Branson's quick trip to Detroit. Anyways, DBusiness has a question and answer piece and it seems Branson is looking to invest in Detroit.

A possible Virgin Hotel in Detroit.

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...-Virgin-Hotel/

That sounds pretty cool to me. Where would the best spot be for his Virgin Hotel, in everyone's opinion?

His Chicago Hotel is right Downtown on N. Wabash Ave. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...8e07391b5c88cb

Book Tower would make a pretty sweet hotel. A partner to develop apartments in the Book Building simultaneously would help make the size of the project more manageable.

He's sort of spoiled for choices, if he wants to spend some money. My favorite would be the Metropolitan Building - in the middle of downtown, and early enough in its renovation that an investment/commitment could a lot of influence. I'm sure Gilbert would welcome a high profile partner for the Stott building, too.

Farther afield, if he could pry the United Artist building from Illitch's clutches, he would have a theater to fix up, too.

Finally, it seems only a matter of time before someone kicks out the section 8 residents of the Industrial and Washington Blvd buildings, and goes market rate - for better or worse. The lower half of one of those might make a good hotel.

Book Tower would be cool but I think I would like to see a mix of hotel and residential on the Madison-Lenox site. Something with a bit of a modern flair that could really anchor the Harmonie Park neighborhood. The recent improvements to the DAC and streetscape there, as well as proximity to entertainment venues, could really make that a prime location for a development like a Virgin Hotel.

Based on it's past reputation, wouldn't a Virgin Hotel be good for the Cass Corridor?

hopefully all the theoretical investments he talks about end up happening.

Another billionaire looking to throw money at Detroit? That'd be fantastic. Especially one such as Branson who deals with a lot of international players who might jump on his investment bandwagon. Having said that, nothing is eminent, and the guy has so many irons in the fire that I don't think this is a priority for him. But time will tell.

Another intriguing angle is if he were to buy into expandingthe M-1 Rail service, and/or starting up something like “Virgin Rapid Transit”,especially for transportation to downtown Detroit directly from the MetroAirport.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Another intriguing angle is if he were to buy into expandingthe M-1 Rail service, and/or starting up something like “Virgin Rapid Transit”,especially for transportation to downtown Detroit directly from the MetroAirport.
    That is actually a really great idea! Granted, he is in the business of making money, but this could definitely be a philanthropy idea for him..