Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Olga's Filling for Chapter 11 Protection

Uh oh...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-11-bankruptcy

I would hate to see a local business go under.

Filing***** Sorry!

So are all the Olga's outlets company owned or are they franchise-based?

I hope this doesn't result in a significant vacancy at Southland-and it's the wrong time for that too, as it's almost ending a major remodeling.

Use to eat there frequently, just goes to show you how competitive the fast food buck is.

I hope they can find their way out of bankruptcy, but I haven't eaten there in years. The food and service were always ok, but I never "craved" Olga's food so, eventually I just stopped going.

Nowadays, there are dozens of places around town where you can get excellent shawramas and pita sandwiches that are a lot better than Olga's.

Knew that was coming when I was handed three menus when seated. And the waitress had to repeat some long winded spiel about monthly specials.

Olgas is kind of expensive for what you get, and not very good. In a city full of excellent Middle Eastern/Mediterrean food, it just can't compete with real ethnic places nor the Chipotle/Pei Wei type fast-casual, not on quality or price.

It also has a stuck in the 70's feel, like a Big Boy or Ponderosa or something. It didn't adapt to changes in dining preferences, and its attempted reinvention as a Greek-ish Chipotle is kind of a stretch.

Bankruptcy, again? Maybe their aggressive expansion plans were a little too much for them to handle. Hopefully they won't end up having to close my favorite location in Royal Oak.

I recall Oglas back in the 80's and early 90's when a shawarma/ gyro 'like' sandwich like that for some was perhaps a novelty. Don't get me wrong, I like the particular taste and sweet bread, almost homogenized taste of their wrap. But now with so many options of this kind of food. Well, it is not surprising they are not going well. Love that Orange smoothy!

Yes, no way can they compete. They've probably rationalized that the higher price makes up for volume sold... nope. I've noticed most Olgas are inside malls where to some extent they have a captive audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Olgas is kind of expensive for what you get, and not very good. In a city full of excellent Middle Eastern/Mediterrean food, it just can't compete with real ethnic places nor the Chipotle/Pei Wei type fast-casual, not on quality or price.

A little bit more about the bankruptcy: the CEO is blaming this solely on the cost of running [[or building?) the Olgas restaurant in the Compuware building, of all things.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...nto-bankruptcy

That location has been open for at least a couple years, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    A little bit more about the bankruptcy: the CEO is blaming this solely on the cost of running [[or building?) the Olgas restaurant in the Compuware building, of all things.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...nto-bankruptcy

That location has been open for at least a couple years, yes?
    That claim from Olgas is obviously absurd. Restaurant buildouts from scratch typically cost in the tens of thousands while a company like Olgas has assets valued well in the millions. And 90% of the time the landlord is contributing to the buildout.

Claiming that Olgas is going bankrupt because of a restaurant buildout is like claiming an individual is going bankrupt for buying a coffee from Starbucks.

Claiming that Olgas is going bankrupt because of a restaurant buildout is like claiming an individual is going bankrupt for buying a coffee from Starbucks.
    Have you seen the price of coffee @ Fourbucks???? It can happen!

That claim from Olgas is obviously absurd. Restaurant buildouts from scratch typically cost in the tens of thousands while a company like Olgas has assets valued well in the millions. And 90% of the time the landlord is contributing to the buildout.

It could be possible that the Olga's downtown is not making a profit and the company has simply been pouring money into it at a loss for charity [[to the city of Detroit).

There was a thread not too long ago about a ton of businesses in downtown/midtown facing similar circumstances, as they were way behind on their taxes [[Louie's Ham & Corned Beef being one of them).

Every time I eat there, which is not often, I leave wondering why I went there in the first place. I know the food is edible but really not very good. I never leave thinking "wow, that was great, can't wait to go back" Maybe I'm missing something, you do see some people in there who seem to be really liking the food - they're practically licking their plate when the're done eating.

My family used to eat at the one in Eastland [[it that still there?) in the 70s-80s period. I swear it was much better back then. Last time I was at one, early 2000s, it was meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    My family used to eat at the one in Eastland [[it that still there?) in the 70s-80s period. I swear it was much better back then. Last time I was at one, early 2000s, it was meh.
    The Olga's Kitchen at Eastland closed around the early/mid 2000s. It was around the time the wing with the big Food Court and indoor movie theatre was demolished for Lowe's and Burlington Coat Factory.

The space [[adjacent to the east wing of Hudson's / Marshall Fields / Macy's and across from Winkleman's / K&G Fashion) is still vacant.

The Macomb Mall location closed not long after [[across from Sears' north wing, and I believe it's still vacant) by the late 2000s.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-13-15 at 08:37 PM.

Olga got her start @ the Birmingham International Market, [[name might be wrong but close) in the late 60's early 70's. She had a small Samsonite table on the back wall and sold "Olga's Souvlaki" [[the wrap sandwich the chain sells). They had fresh onion slices, a home made yogurt and herb dressing, special seasoned meat, and were to die for! People lined up @ the market to get one, and it turned into a thing. A few years later, she must have scored some front money because actual restaurants started appearing, selling "Olgas", and they were not bad. Fast Forward to Winter, 2014, I met a friend @ the one on Woodward near 14 for lunch one day. [[his idea) I thought it was edible but certainly nothing to write home about, and won't be having another. There are better Greek restaurants elsewhere in the City.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-13-15 at 08:54 PM.

Wasn't former Lion's QB Eric Hipple an investor in Olga's? I like having an Olga on occasion and their fries are pretty good too. A bit pricey and for sure there are better options but they do have a unique taste all their own. Not a destination for me but if I'm walking by one and am hungry I'll stop in.