Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Woodward still needs an anchor to take off.

No one comes out of their way for boutiques, but rather the Macy's, JC Penney's, Dillards, etc. type of stores.
    . That might have been true 20 years ago, but when did you last go to a crowded Macys or JC Penny?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Woodward still needs an anchor to take off.

No one comes out of their way for boutiques, but rather the Macy's, JC Penney's, Dillards, etc. type of stores.
    That's a really outdated concept, especially considering all those said stores are struggling right now. To thrive, Downtown needs a unique mix of stores that aren't found elsewhere in the Metro. That may include some sort of department stores, but not necessarily. And certainly not the ones you name.

Maybe I'm wrong but we won't know what Woodward will be like until AFTER the Hudson's site is developed.

Once business people see the mix of stores in that building then they can decide what the market will bear for them - what is there and what isn't. Trivial example: If Victoria's Secrets would have a store there is there a market for a 2nd similar store on Woodward?

I could be mistaken but I assume the Hudson's site will end up being resembling a de facto small shopping mall.

If a few floors of retail isn't compared to a shopping mall, what should it be compared to????

Best I can come up with is the airport in Minneapolis-St. Paul. It reminds me of a shopping mall.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-11-17 at 06:35 AM.

Shopping and visiting the Mall is still a thing in Southeast MI... albeit more so now in Troy and Novi is where most people flock.

Detroit retail is necessary for general crowd visits, however, those are big storefronts in Downtown, and I cannot envision small mom-pop retailers in there selling unique or boutique items.

You would need major chain retailers in there to both afford the location and draw people there.

Lets face it, people like chains... it would have been nice for Detroit to have had the Cheesecake Factory [[I really dislike this place) that so many people love it that it becomes an anchor to spur traffic. The under armor store is a nice addition, so is Warby Parker, I also thought Kit and Ace was as well. Glad to see Bonoboos there, manager there told me that they do well.

I just noticed they finally emptied the Kit n Ace store on Woodward,, kinda eery to see a empty store there again, Hopefully something goes in,, retail is a hard move today, you have to have product thats affordable and interesting,....and somehow survive the internet .

Good news indeed. Just the other day I was wondering where I could buy high wasted yoga pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Good news indeed. Just the other day I was wondering where I could buy high wasted yoga pants.
    Thanks Mr. Obvious. I'm sure we all thought someone with the handle 'Honky Tonk' was a vegan yoga enthusiast. When we get an OshKosh B'gosh store downtown we'll let you know

Lululemon is much more recognizable than Kit & Ace, but is in the same retail category. I bet we'll see as many Lulu bags as orange Nike bags on the streets when this opens.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Lululemon is much more recognizable than Kit & Ace, but is in the same retail category. I bet we'll see as many Lulu bags as orange Nike bags on the streets when this opens.
    Agreed, seems like a good addition and it's great that the space will be quickly filled again.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    Thanks Mr. Obvious. I'm sure we all thought someone with the handle 'Honky Tonk' was a vegan yoga enthusiast. When we get an OshKosh B'gosh store downtown we'll let you know
    Well I was going to choose my handle name after a skin infection but I thought that would be too gross. You used the pronoun "we" several times in your reply. Was there a meeting held that I was unaware of? Next time include me via Web-Ex or Skype Video, will you? Thanx for thinking of notifying me for the OshKosh B'gosh opening, but I'm sort of a Patagonia type of person myself. Their products are a lot less wank then Lulu, mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well I was going to choose my handle name after a skin infection but I thought that would be too gross. You used the pronoun "we" several times in your reply. Was there a meeting held that I was unaware of? Next time include me via Web-Ex or Skype Video, will you? Thanx for thinking of notifying me for the OshKosh B'gosh opening, but I'm sort of a Patagonia type of person myself. Their products are a lot less wank then Lulu, mon.
    So you can walk down to Moosejaw and shop there. Look, everyone wins!

Not a store opening, but a retail conference coming next year to Detroit.

https://www.metrotimes.com/the-scene...me-retail-city

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7