Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    sure, "good news" -- I guess -- but only until maxed out credit cards from those mili's living downtown forces them to close.

However, I guess it's great that the schools are being improved to promote more families coming and staying in the city, and strengthening neighborhoods!

Wait! What??
    Every party needs a popper that's why we invited you.

Or maybe their clientele will come from across the region...

So no high end retail until the schools are fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    So no high end retail until the schools are fixed?
    Don't tell that to Chicago!

sure, "good news" -- I guess -- but only until maxed out credit cards from those mili's living downtown forces them to close.

However, I guess it's great that the schools are being improved to promote more families coming and staying in the city, and strengthening neighborhoods!

Wait! What??
    If those mili's [[love that one, thanks) can be parted with their cash in Detroit instead of Rochester, Birmingham or internet that's f-ing awesome. Have no worries about any of them mili's included they will be just fine.

The parents of those kids in Detroit schools having jobs and economic opportunities is the best way to help those schools and milking mili's helps pays the bills so let's get on it.

We already tried it when there wasn't any jobs or mili's and it failed. The schools sucked.

It is amazing the Detroit doesn't have one electronic store within it's city limit. Are electronic stores finding Detroit too high of a risk to open within the city limits? Whatare the district council doing to attract stores to there district. Staples was in Sheffield's district and to me she hasn't done too much for her district but show up for photo ops. I was highly disappointed to see another Spartan product store and cheesy cheap furniture stores to hog up every empty storefront inside stripmall that lines Jefferson. Jefferson could be designated for stores that need huge parking such as Best Buy, Art Van, Gormans, Meijer, Trader Joes, MicroCenter, Trek, etc. Jefferson could become more car centered while cruisers could stop into one of these stores while cruising from events that are happening in downtown to hanging out at Belle Isle or going to Grosse Pointe. The DEGC anddistrict council person's for the area are not doing a good job

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Jefferson could become more car centered while cruisers could stop into one of these stores while cruising from events that are happening in downtown to hanging out at Belle Isle or going to Grosse Pointe. The DEGC anddistrict council person's for the area are not doing a good job
    The last thing this city needs to do is make it streets more car centered. Thankfully, the city is planning to do exact opposite by making Jefferson more pedestrian friendly look for it to get the kind treatment that it did in the Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    The last thing this city needs to do is make it streets more car centered. Thankfully, the city is planning to do exact opposite by making Jefferson more pedestrian friendly look for it to get the kind treatment that it did in the Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood
    It case you hadn't noticed, the city has quietly been making all of its streets "less car-centric." Partially, it's because of the significant reduction in traffic since the 1970s [[when Detroit had 1.5 - 2 million people).

*Van Dyke = Was 3 lanes wide, is now only 2 lanes wide

*Gratiot = Was 4 lanes wide, is now only 3 lanes wide

*2nd and 3rd Avenue = Were 4 lane-wide one ways, are now 1 lane two-way streets through Midtown.

Woodward Avenue = Was 4 lanes wide, now only 2 lanes wide with the addition of the QLine.

Conner = Was 3 lanes wide from Harper to Warren, now only 2 lanes wide.

I'm for more pedestrian friendly avenues but the stripmalls from downtown to Alter are not going away. There should be a plan to put better stores in those places. Why not have higher end stores that will draw out the the Lafayette Park residents especially those from the DuCharme condos and the ones being built south of Jefferson. One thing unique about Detroit is that it has avenues that could be more walkable such as Woodward, Michigan, Gratiot[[Eastern Market area), and parts of Grand River. Detroit ale have drivable avenues such as Jefferson which from downtown to Newport could be for scenic drive or bicycling lines with quality retail and not with furniture stores that sell hub caps an grocery stores that sell outdated produce

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It case you hadn't noticed, the city has quietly been making all of its streets "less car-centric." Partially, it's because of the significant reduction in traffic since the 1970s [[when Detroit had 1.5 - 2 million people).

*Van Dyke = Was 3 lanes wide, is now only 2 lanes wide

*Gratiot = Was 4 lanes wide, is now only 3 lanes wide

*2nd and 3rd Avenue = Were 4 lane-wide one ways, are now 1 lane two-way streets through Midtown.

Woodward Avenue = Was 4 lanes wide, now only 2 lanes wide with the addition of the QLine.

Conner = Was 3 lanes wide from Harper to Warren, now only 2 lanes wide.
    Not disagreeing with your point but the QLine streetcars are just vehicles. No reduction in lanes open to cars. There are just going to be streetcars driving in one of the lanes periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    Not disagreeing with your point but the QLine streetcars are just vehicles. No reduction in lanes open to cars. There are just going to be streetcars driving in one of the lanes periodically.
    In the future I hope they prevent cars from riding in it and use it as dedicated lanes for the street car and maybe bike lane. this would really only work north of grand circus park i think because once you get south of it woodward reduces to four total lanes only anyways.

Well, the discussion and thread is about retail. Stasu1213 retail along Jefferson depends on available shoppers with available/disposable money. Any new stores that you are talking about do need large parking lots. The St. Jean and Jefferson strip mall has new retail with the Parkside grocery store and the Riverside Furniture store. Sure, they're not Meijer or Art Van, but they fill a need and they pay taxes. So, I'm not going to kick them out just because they represent the "B" team.

There really isn't anymore room on Jefferson for a Meijer or a Best Buy, unless you close off three or four residential blocks and buy up the remaining businesses and homes in that area. The residential streets east of Conner, north along Jefferson, and west of Alter would be those streets. This would not be an easy endeavor. However, I might have spoke to soon. Looking at Google Earth, the former site of the Chrysler plant south of Jefferson might be large enough to accommodate a Meijer or Best Buy.

BTW, Gratiot still has nine lanes, one left turn lane and four lanes in each direction. Woodward has seven lanes at certain points, one left turn lane, three lanes heading south and still four lanes heading north from around Little Caesar's Arena to Warren[[?). Michigan has nine out of downtown, west of Cass. At Sixth Street, Michigan gets narrower due to the new "inner-curb" bike lanes. Jefferson is still nine until you get to the new configuration around Lakewood/Jefferson.
    Last edited by royce; February-19-17 at 02:05 AM.

Wait! What??
    The residents of downtown Detroit are much more affluent than you think.

According to the IRS data from 2014, the average income in downtown Detroit was over $142,000. In 2014, downtown Detroit [[48226) had the 18th highest average income of all zip codes in the entire state.

This isn't a bunch of kids living off of their parents. This is a legitimately high-income area.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/.../post_107.html

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Well, the discussion and thread is about retail. Stasu1213 retail along Jefferson depends on available shoppers with available/disposable money. Any new stores that you are talking about do need large parking lots. The St. Jean and Jefferson strip mall has new retail with the Parkside grocery store and the Riverside Furniture store. Sure, they're not Meijer or Art Van, but they fill a need and they pay taxes. So, I'm not going to kick them out just because they represent the "B" team.

There really isn't anymore room on Jefferson for a Meijer or a Best Buy, unless you close off three or four residential blocks and buy up the remaining businesses and homes in that area. The residential streets east of Conner, north along Jefferson, and west of Alter would be those streets. This would not be an easy endeavor. However, I might have spoke to soon. Looking at Google Earth, the former site of the Chrysler plant south of Jefferson might be large enough to accommodate a Meijer or Best Buy.

BTW, Gratiot still has nine lanes, one left turn lane and four lanes in each direction. Woodward has seven lanes at certain points, one left turn lane, three lanes heading south and still four lanes heading north from around Little Caesar's Arena to Warren[[?). Michigan has nine out of downtown, west of Cass. At Sixth Street, Michigan gets narrower due to the new "inner-curb" bike lanes. Jefferson is still nine until you get to the new configuration around Lakewood/Jefferson.
    The problem is Detroit is full of B team like stores when A type stores are being locked out May be due to them not willing to pay to play. I had shopped at the B rated stores only to get E rated products while being forced to shop out of the city for the better basic goods. I still will not think that a furniture store selling car rims has no places in an uprising community

It'll be interesting to see the contrast between UA and Nike's stores. UA is opening a "brand house" while Nike went more of the outlet route.

The problem is Detroit is full of B team like stores when A type stores are being locked out May be due to them not willing to pay to play. I had shopped at the B rated stores only to get E rated products while being forced to shop out of the city for the better basic goods. I still will not think that a furniture store selling car rims has no places in an uprising community
    Car rims posing as furniture is all the rage in places like Tribeca.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    It'll be interesting to see the contrast between UA and Nike's stores. UA is opening a "brand house" while Nike went more of the outlet route.
    I think that Nike had went the outlet way due to the retailer wasn't sure if there was a market for it downtown and wanted to play it safe. Under Armour will force Nike to step up it's game and change the concept from outlet to a regular Nike store that will also carry big and talk sizes as well

Wait! What??
    What an ignorant comment! By far the majority of your "mili's" living downtown are young professionals with good paying jobs, myself included. To suggest their lifestyle is paid for by credit card debt or their parents is laughable. Some will leave once they are older, but many plan to stay in the city. They will be the ones rebuilding and pushing improvements in Detroit.

I think that Nike had went the outlet way due to the retailer wasn't sure if there was a market for it downtown and wanted to play it safe. Under Armour will force Nike to step up it's game and change the concept from outlet to a regular Nike store that will also carry big and talk sizes as well
    I walked by there yesterday and they have definitely step up the game.
    What they are doing at UA is very slick. huge jumbo video walls.
    Nike will definitely have to step up their game.
    It makes Nike look like a outlet store for sure and UA like a flagship store Detroit deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    It makes Nike look like a outlet store for sure and UA like a flagship store Detroit deserves.
    I think that's exactly what the two stores are. Hopefully it does push Nike to improve their selection of newer products [[but I still love all the sales they run).

I will love to see what's next to open on Woodward south of Grand Circus Park. How about a vitamin store or an Ann Taylor's Loft for the ladies

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    Interesting...we go from beauty supply and liquor stores that accept EBT to high end retailers that are selling $10 t-shirts for almost $100! Skipping the middle road altogether it seems. Fine by me as this is what will attract the people with money and investment but "WOW!"
    I believe this change is the result of Duggan's rescinding Coleman Young's Executive Order on Retail Operations that required retail to serve the local population, and to be locally owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I believe this change is the result of Duggan's rescinding Coleman Young's Executive Order on Retail Operations that required retail to serve the local population, and to be locally owned.
    I've honestly never heard of this [[doesn't surprise me). Can you explain?

I will love to see what's next to open on Woodward south of Grand Circus Park. How about a vitamin store or an Ann Taylor's Loft for the ladies
    No, whatever is next needs to be new to the metro area. Like a Uniqlo, Muji, Zara or Topshop.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast