Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Warby Parker to open Nov. 26

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...ning/93948644/

Also saw that Zara is opening up in Somerset, which is disappointing. Though Chicago as a Zara in the city and Zara at a mall in the north shores. So there's hope yet?

I read a month or two, that a company bought the remaining Olga's stores and was planning to reopen more stores in Michiganhttp://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-kitchen-chain
    Last edited by scooter; November-16-16 at 12:57 PM.

This is the kind of retail that is also needed in downtown. Locally owned and specialty. Good luck to her!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article..._medium=social

City Bark, already in Grosse Pointe, is opening up a store in the Albert soon too.

Both City Bark and Bird Bee have pop-up at Holiday House next to Campus Martius. City Bark had some interesting pet gear. I wish them both luck!

This past weekend my wife and I went shopping on Woodward. I ended up buying a pair of shoes from the Nike store and I was pleasantly surprised at how good the prices are. I expected them to be more expensive because they are downtown. I'll definitely be taking my in-laws from Virginia Beach shopping down there this week.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Both City Bark and Bird Bee have pop-up at Holiday House next to Campus Martius. City Bark had some interesting pet gear. I wish them both luck!
    I am all for small and local businesses succeeding, but come on City Bark? I am sure rent is super high in the Albert and maybe I am clueless, but is there really a high need in the immediate downtown area for a pet accessories store? Not to mention there is with 3 Dogs 1 Cat in Eastern Market and Cass Corridog in Midtown. I get the fact that it is downtown and convenient for those who own pets and live downtown, but are we really at the point where there is competition for pet accessories?

I am scratching my head here trying to figure out how this business will succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    I am all for small and local businesses succeeding, but come on City Bark? I am sure rent is super high in the Albert and maybe I am clueless, but is there really a high need in the immediate downtown area for a pet accessories store? Not to mention there is with 3 Dogs 1 Cat in Eastern Market and Cass Corridog in Midtown. I get the fact that it is downtown and convenient for those who own pets and live downtown, but are we really at the point where there is competition for pet accessories?

I am scratching my head here trying to figure out how this business will succeed.
    City Bark [[and possibly Cass Corridog) sell dog food along with the accessories. Those are nice steady sales.

On Woodward saw sign covering build out for Bonobos. Funny, I don't recall it ever being officially announced. No doubt it was the real deal though. Was driving so didn't get exact building, try to provide update later

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    On Woodward saw sign covering build out for Bonobos. Funny, I don't recall it ever being officially announced. No doubt it was the real deal though. Was driving so didn't get exact building, try to provide update later
    http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...roit/88521614/

Thanks for the update though!

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Thanks dtown, yeah I was aware of this, as well as some discussion on this forum, however I don't believe there was an official announcement or verified location. This confirms, build out is happening now on merchants row...

its probably the Valprey building, because I noticed the retail is being built out now. There wasn't a sign a few days ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock N Rye View Post
    its probably the Valprey building, because I noticed the retail is being built out now. There wasn't a sign a few days ago though.
    Yup that's the building, saw the sign this afternoon. Cool stuff! Gorgeous building too

I prefer retail to just build out and open without the big announcement. That add to the surprise and excitement. I would love to see Bright Ideas of Royal Oak to open in downtown midtown area

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I prefer retail to just build out and open without the big announcement. That add to the surprise and excitement. I would love to see Bright Ideas of Royal Oak to open in downtown midtown area
    Unfortunately, Detroit is a long ways off before it reaches that point.

Calltoaction Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    lmfao, what is this even supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yeah not sure what this means either. Did any of the new shops on Woodward open with great fanfare, ribbon cutting, and parade?* I don't think so. I would surmise most cities have retail/business/restaurant announcements such as the Bonobos article from the Free Press from last August.

The crowds downtown Saturday were cool to see. Tigersfest, Winter Blast, and Auto Show, all those stores got exposure from people that might not have seen them otherwise. Especially during press and industry days. How many of those people rarely walked outside their hotel and Cobo? Now they probably saw the burgeoning retail on Woodward, something most of them have never seen. [[Or if they did, it's when they were a young reporter lol)

*Wait I take this back. I believe John Varvatos had that weird street party.

Downtown was bustling on Saturday. Great to see. Imagine how Woodward would be if Restoration Hardware had opened where they were originally planning to put a store? That would be quite the retail strip. I imagine in 5 years or less, all the currently empty storefronts on Woodward will be filled.

And a lot of cities with far more development than Detroit, like Chicago, will announce new stores opening up. It might not make front page headlines like it would in Detroit, but they are still mentioned in the press.

Quote Originally Posted by Calltoaction View Post
    lmfao, what is this even supposed to mean?
    See what Mind Field said in his last sentence.

We all can agree, the remaining storefronts along Woodward will and should be high end, nothing mediocre. Sort of like a "destination" avenue. The Hudson site should have basic, everyday type stores.

If I'm aware correctly, there will be up to 50 retail included in the possible 60 story building planned for the Hudson site.

I see stores like, City Target or Apple store being the anchor. Other "everyday" retail like Footlocker, Gap, Urban Outfitters, H&M, etc. being added. Hopefully a movie theater, like Emagine in Royal Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    We all can agree, the remaining storefronts along Woodward will and should be high end, nothing mediocre. Sort of like a "destination" avenue. The Hudson site should have basic, everyday type stores.

If I'm aware correctly, there will be up to 50 retail included in the possible 60 story building planned for the Hudson site.

I see stores like, City Target or Apple store being the anchor. Other "everyday" retail like Footlocker, Gap, Urban Outfitters, H&M, etc. being added. Hopefully a movie theater, like Emagine in Royal Oak.
    I see Urban Outfitters next to or near Bonobos or possibly next to Under Armour. H&M, City Target, Dunham, maybe Trek, will probably be more in midtown. I see Jefferson having more stores such as Meijer, Wal-Mart, Dick's, in the area from Grand Blvd to Alter. The more exclusive stores such as Gorman, Trader Joe's, Pure Sleep, Best Buys, and possibly Microcenter, along Jefferson from Rivard to Grand Blvd

From Crain's today... The signs are up for Bonobos at 1417 Woodward.

BTW I find the choice of the name Bonobos curious but, since all their models have facial hair, it appears they are only a missing link away. They must figure few people know what bonobos are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    BTW I find the choice of the name Bonobos curious but, since all their models have facial hair, it appears they are only a missing link away. They must figure few people know what bonobos are.

Bonobos see, bonobos do.....

sure, "good news" -- I guess -- but only until maxed out credit cards from those mili's living downtown forces them to close.

However, I guess it's great that the schools are being improved to promote more families coming and staying in the city, and strengthening neighborhoods!

Wait! What??

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast