Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2nd New Meijer Store Opens Today in Detroit

Good news for a nieghborhood and 320 new jobs where they are needed. Kudos for Meijer on delivering the goods in more ways than one!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...roit/71062968/
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; June-11-15 at 12:05 PM.

So great for the city. Instantly makes the surrounding areas that much more attractive to live in. Great job meijer.

Hopefully the anti-D trolls will shut up!!! But then again, I'm sure the Freep message boards will be flooded with "when the gang shootouts start happening/ when enough people start shoplifting flatscreens.... management will wise up and close shop" remarks.

The 8 Mile-Woodward Meijer is the highest volume in the chain and it is not open 24 hours! Expect similar volume levels at this store. Being private, family owned, they don't release sales figures of break out individual store volume but it goes without saying they are making $$$. The mayor is working with Meijer for another location on or near East Jefferson.

Rosedale Park and Grandmont subs should be delighted, as well as other area neighborhoods. They haven't had a REAL grocery store since Kroger closed at Grand River and Fenkell 30 years ago.

This is a really nice store. Just came back from it. It's far nicer than the suburban meijer stores that I've been to.

I wish it was a bit more urban friendly in design, but I guess you can't get everything...

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    This is a really nice store. Just came back from it. It's far nicer than the suburban meijer stores that I've been to.
    Agreed.

IT's a bit different in the interior as far as the design from the 8 Mile/Woodward store too.

EDIT: For example, the colors used inside are the standard Blue & Red, instead of the Black & Brown colors at the 8 Mile/Woodward store. Also, it has a notably larger Electronics department in the back of the store.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-14-15 at 09:07 PM.

Is the bottle return area at the outside or the inside of the store?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Is the bottle return area at the outside or the inside of the store?
    I've never seen bottle-return machines in an exterior setting, so inside.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I've never seen bottle-return machines in an exterior setting, so inside.
    The Rochester Hills Meijer off Adams Road has the bottle returns in the front corner of the building in a separate room. I love it because I can drive up, see if there are machines available, and decide whether to unload the car or go in and try again on the way out if things are busy.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    The Rochester Hills Meijer off Adams Road has the bottle returns in the front corner of the building in a separate room. I love it because I can drive up, see if there are machines available, and decide whether to unload the car or go in and try again on the way out if things are busy.
    The Belleville Meijer also has the return machines in a separate room outside the main store. It's a much better design.

What are they building across the street where the police station used to be?

I hear the grand river store is the super size 200,000 sq. ft. compared to the smaller one on eight mile. I can't wait to go when I really want to get my shopping on!

Haven't all Meijers been reconfigured so the bottle return is in the front between the first set of doors and the restrooms/second set of doors so you don't trek through the stores. They used to be all the way in the back by the dairy/milk but that's changed over the last 10 years, given how unsightly/smelly bottle returns are.

I know for sure the one on 8/Woodward is set up that way as is the one at 94 in Dearborn/Allen Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I hear the grand river store is the super size 200,000 sq. ft. compared to the smaller one on eight mile. I can't wait to go when I really want to get my shopping on!
    Yes, I can confirm it is much bigger.

Clearly, the 8 Mile / Woodward was sort of a "pilot" location [[in case it failed). It's not even designed the same way as other Meijer locations, but the Old Redford High School store is.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Haven't all Meijers been reconfigured so the bottle return is in the front between the first set of doors and the restrooms/second set of doors so you don't trek through the stores. They used to be all the way in the back by the dairy/milk but that's changed over the last 10 years, given how unsightly/smelly bottle returns are.

I know for sure the one on 8/Woodward is set up that way as is the one at 94 in Dearborn/Allen Park.
    I can confirm that the one on Fort Street in Southgate is still way in the back as of today.

Yes, however I hear the Grand River store similar to the smaller one only has one access/ exit door. I've like the two door option to just go in the door closet to area I am shopping [[foods or other wise). I can't wait to visit the new store!

The bottle return has an outside entrance. Also, the Redford store has the grocery department in the center of the store with the general merchandise on either end. When you enter the single set of doors, you enter at the bakery/produce area. There is a garden center on the east end.

The construction on on the old 8th precinct site has a small "strip mall" type development planned. Three stores, I think, including a drive-thru coffee shop. Meijer is also planning to lease the outlots along Grand River. The original plans called for four units [[I think) along the sidewalks. There is also a big discussion going on about the fate of the old stone public library building on McNichols and Chapel, on the NW corner of the property. The other building next to the old library may become the new 8th precinct station.