Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Progress at MCS?

There have been construction lights on in the upper levels for quite some time now. But within the past week the 5 existing windows have been removed. IS this setting the stage for the replacement of all the windows? Or just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic...

With Matty I don't trust him, at all.

The Windows won't be replaced on a schedule that he tells us. They'll be replaced when we can drive by the building, and see new windows.

It can't be hard to make quick progress on this. I can imagine Gilbert\Bedrock getting it done 1-2 months after deciding to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    There have been construction lights on in the upper levels for quite some time now. But within the past week the 5 existing windows have been removed. IS this setting the stage for the replacement of all the windows? Or just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic...
    For your information its the Michigan Central Depot, not station! MCS shows how clueless the media is in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    For your information its the Michigan Central Depot, not station! MCS shows how clueless the media is in the city.
    Uhhhh no, it's called Michigan Central Station.
    http://www.historicdetroit.org/build...ntral-station/

There was a Michigan Central Railroad Depot on the corner for W. Jefferson and 3rd st. that's probably what you're thinking of.
    http://www.historicdetroit.org/build...ailroad-depot/

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Uhhhh no, it's called Michigan Central Station.
    http://www.historicdetroit.org/build...ntral-station/

There was a Michigan Central Railroad Depot on the corner for W. Jefferson and 3rd st. that's probably what you're thinking of.
    Dan is incorrect. Its a Depot not a station.

I never heard a railroader refer to it as anything other than MC Depot, whether new York Central, Penn Central, or Amtrak. "Michigan Central Station" is coined by the modern crop of old-building enthusiasts. That phrase is almost as irritating to NYC fans as is "Grand Central Station" in New York. The name of the place on 42nd Street is Grand Central Terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Dan is incorrect. Its a Depot not a station.
    Care to enlighten those of us unfamiliar with the nomenclature... what is the difference between a depot and a station?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Care to enlighten those of us unfamiliar with the nomenclature... what is the difference between a depot and a station?
    http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/743/p/98376/2295637.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    I never heard a railroader refer to it as anything other than MC Depot, whether new York Central, Penn Central, or Amtrak. "Michigan Central Station" is coined by the modern crop of old-building enthusiasts. That phrase is almost as irritating to NYC fans as is "Grand Central Station" in New York. The name of the place on 42nd Street is Grand Central Terminal.
    It's not that modern of a thing to call it MCS.
    Name:  073_4.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  72.5 KB

I think it's a "station" because what's at issue is the tall, iconic structure, which was mostly offices for people. To my ears "depot" connotes a place for storing objects in transit. In a railway context that would be objects such as trains and cargo.

Language is fluid.

An olive branch: split the difference and just call it "Michigan Central."

Or let "MCS" stand for "Moroun's Crumbling Spectacle."

According to a thread on trains.com:

- a station is any place designated in the timetable by name

- a depot is any building or location for gathering personnel or materials

So, at the time of the postcard, MCS/D had both a station and a depot. Now that trains no longer stop there, you're left with just the building, which is a depot.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Now that trains no longer stop there, you're left with just the building, which is a depot.
    Then wouldn't it just be called a building?

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    Or let "MCS" stand for "Moroun's Crumbling Spectacle."
    You sir, win!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    I never heard a railroader refer to it as anything other than MC Depot, whether new York Central, Penn Central, or Amtrak.
    I checked 1963 New York Central timetables, both employee and public, and the terms "Michigan Central Terminal" or simply "Terminal Building" were used for this facility, at least at that time.

This webpage of Historic Detroit presents information about the Michigan Central Depot that was in service until 1912. The included map shows that this building was located at the corner of East Jefferson and Three mile Drive in Grosse Pointe Park. This is not accurate. The
    depot was in downtown Detroit at West Jefferson and Third.

I don't care whether its referred to as a "station" or a "depot" - as long as it gets fixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Beech Cricker View Post
    I checked 1963 New York Central timetables, both employee and public, and the terms "Michigan Central Terminal" or simply "Terminal Building" were used for this facility, at least at that time.
    I looked into the Penn Central era and TERMINAL seems to be the preferred designation for the W. Vernor tower.

The Nov. 1969 Northern Region Telephone Directory calls it the Penn Central Terminal.

The 1974 Penn Central system phone directory primarily refers to it as the Penn Central Terminal but there are a few off references to Penn Central Station and MC Terminal. Leave it to PC to be inconsistent.

TERMINAL appears to be the railroad term--not station or depot, at least in the 1960s and 1970s.