Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "It's so Cold in the D" Redux and Remix

There's an interesting article in the Detroit News today that follows up on Tbaby. She is the creator of the viral 'ghetto anthem' and internet sensation "It's so Cold in the D" that has logged over 8.2 million views on Youtube.

I found the song to have a heartfelt appeal - a tribute to a murdered friend - with an unforgettable mournful melody and refrain. [Warning to those not familiar - this is a top notch earworm that can get stuck in your head for days.]

I was pleased to hear she has made a little money from it. Regrettably it has come with it a lot of ridicule and scorn from the brutal cowards of the internet.

She has new manager and has made a remix starting in the same eastside coney as the original. While her lilting voice is still wonderful and there is better audio and backup, the video itself lacks the freshness and spontaneity of the original.

Lowell's endorsement is sure to help.
    For T-Baby, however, the jokes were difficult to bear. She had to stop reading the comments attached to the clip, which were hurtful to her, and eventually she stopped going on YouTube altogether. Her phone number was posted online, and she was flooded with rude text messages and threats on her voicemail. An extreme introvert by nature, the negativity caused her to retreat further into her shell.

"I didn't have no support, nobody to support me or help me with it or nothing," says T-Baby, seated in a booth at Universal Coney Island on Detroit's east side earlier this week. It's the same Coney Island where she filmed the "It's So Cold in the D" video back in 2008.

"I was hurting because of everything that everyone was saying," she says. But then she turned a corner. "I helped myself, and I was able to get back out here."

Now T-Baby has a manager, a renewed hope and a new video — a remake of "It's So Cold in the D" that was uploaded to the Internet just last week. This time she stays on beat, and she is hoping that is true with her career, as well.
    Technical note: If you’re uploading widescreen videos, you can avoid windowboxing [[black bars all around the video) by cropping your video to the 16:9 format.

The facial closeups really personalize it.

T-Baby wrote the song for her friend Mason Graham, who was shot and killed at Universal Coney Island in 2006 while trying to break up a fight.
    R.I.P., Mason Graham.
    Last edited by Jimaz; June-08-15 at 10:11 PM.