Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default MDOT may reconsider scope of I-94 reconstruction.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ject/28697179/

I wonder if Duggan has his toe in this. He was the ONLY leader on any level I recall commenting on it one way or another [[he was against it).

Though it does beg the question if they can reconsider it now then WTF hadn't they done it sooner?

And speaking of reconstructing highways, wasn't the 375 recommendation supposed to be out be last fall?

It looks like they're still looking at adding a lane, but using a more wall-like transition to the elevation of the service drives.

It will be interesting if they ditch-out on continue services drives in order to minimize on ROW acquisition.

Also, I hadn't realized that this project is scheduled to wrap up in 2036! Wow, what a long-haul. I've always hated the phased approach because for many people it just means prolonged-hell. I really liked it when they just completely shut down the lodge. However, I-94 has less redundant routes than the Lodge.

Some tiny amount of sanity finally peeking through on this insane project.

That 2036 number has me a bit baffled. Its not like its a 100 mile stretch. Would love to see a timeline on this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    That 2036 number has me a bit baffled. Its not like its a 100 mile stretch. Would love to see a timeline on this.

Page 4 - http://michigan.gov/documents/mdot/M...3_419892_7.pdf

They're already forecasting a 2.9 billion dollar cost, equal to 1.9 million in today's dollars. How about we just dispense with the fancy shit and add lanes? And news flash, there already is a "swath through Detroit". Geez what a bunch of rocket scientists.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    They're already forecasting a 2.9 billion dollar cost, equal to 1.9 million in today's dollars. How about we just dispense with the fancy shit and add lanes? And news flash, there already is a "swath through Detroit". Geez what a bunch of rocket scientists.
    Adding lanes is the part that needs to be dispensed

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    An argument supporting this view is that we'll stop the sprawling if we stop adding lanes.

In London they actually have a greenbelt around the metro area where development is not allowed. This is done to both preserve the environment and promote density within the established region.

I don't think there's just no need for additional lanes period. All there needs to be done is reconfiguration of the interchange ramps. Many freeways throughout Metro Detroit do pretty well with just three lanes. If people actually drove like they're supposed to, other freeways in the area actually wouldn't need more than three lanes.

Freeways don't have any effect on the total amount of traffic in an area. They simply redistribute it. There's many areas of Metro Detroit that have sprawled without any sort of freeway development.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    We'll see if the 12 people who show up at the comments session can eliminate the extra lane. The meetings are just to appease.