Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Four Low Flying Tandem-Prop Helicoptors Going Up Woodward?

Uh, I wasn't seeing things when around 5:20 PM 6/6 near the DIA, I noticed four tan colored large tandem-prop Chinock looking helicopters fairly low over-head coming from the east. They held diamond formation bending the corner of Warren near the Michigan Science Center and on up Woodward heading north!

The helicopters remained clustered close on up Woodward as far as my eye could see as I trailed behind driving. I noticed others looking up as the roared by.

Are there some special events, a military show or something going on? The model looked similar to this kind. Anyone else see them around the city or suburbs; flying low in four formation?

I don't think they were the local news traffic 'coptors!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-07-15 at 09:39 AM.

That's it BGM. The helicopters where the color shown in the timesherald link. For sure we [[Detroit) got buzzed by the exercises. Thanks!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-07-15 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    That's it BGM. The helicopters where the color shown in the timesherald link. For sure we [[Detroit) got buzzed by the exercises. Thanks!
    Think about this...

We live south Grayling and we see more than our fair share of military vehicles in the air and on the ground. Aside from training on the actual Camp Grayling grounds, the vehicles seen are in transport to some where else.

Now this is different. Chinooks in formation over an urban environment. When was the last time you seen something like that. The article states it's going to be an annual event. Really?

Something different is going on...

Operation Jade Helm

I'm hip. There's alot to consider as possibilities. As they roared up the Woodward corridor on thru Highland Park, onward north, I wondered about a similar run for more strategic 'local' purposes.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-07-15 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Now this is different. Chinooks in formation over an urban environment. When was the last time you seen something like that. The article states it's going to be an annual event. Really?

Something different is going on...
    I swear there used to be a time when minimum altitudes were enforced, and there could BE no military training over residential areas...at least those with high densities.

My gal told me there was a double-Apache stunt up Woodward off Jefferson on Thursday or Friday [[I cannot remember, and she's at yoga)...they swooped in off the river below 150' or so. Below her 17th-floor viewpoint.

Startled the heck out of the employees in her office...I can only imagine what it did to those a few blocks nearer this idiocy. No warnings whatsoever.

She had no irony when I asked her about advanced notification...and said, well obviously the police knew. Yes...everyone but the populace in general.

So, you know who they're really training to contain...Posse Comitatus is long dead.

That breath you're hearing is Big Brother, wanking off around the next corner.
    Last edited by Gannon; June-07-15 at 10:35 AM.

Yep, for sure they were low, and not over a corn field! Folks along the back of the DIA [[John R/ Farnsworth corner) were staring upward when hearing them fly over as it's busy on the weekends with folks going to see the Diego-Kahlo exhibition, etc.

These helicopters were hauling butt, moving fast. It was not something you see everyday!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-07-15 at 09:57 AM.

This all about conditioning.

Getting the civilians used to military incursions and getting the servicemen used to seeing their own civilians as the enemy.

WTF are we leaving our kids to inherit?

Seen them coming down the river and turned to head inland. I didn't mind at all! Sweet as hell!

This is going on in Flint as well. There seems to be some urban warfare training going on. Though, you'd think with the military's budget, they could just build a whole fake city out in Nevada or some place.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...ue_exerci.html

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    This is going on in Flint as well. There seems to be some urban warfare training going on. Though, you'd think with the military's budget, they could just build a whole fake city out in Nevada or some place.

But then, they could not confirm whether their satellite and air support works properly in every city in the union. For some reason, they need to test their maps and terrain data...everywhere.

It makes one wonder.

You always recon a site before warring within it. That shit goes back to Sun Tzu and his "Art of War".

Indeed, it is 'sweet as hell'.

It's not unusual to see a lone Chinook flying westward over Utica. In fact I recall watching them there way back in the late 60s. I'm guessing it's just visually convenient for them to follow Hall road from Selfridge. I've never seen them fly fast or in formation though. That would be impressive.

They make a unique sound. They can be heard long before they can be seen.

From Wikipedia: "The counter-rotating rotors eliminate the need for an anti-torque vertical rotor, allowing all power to be used for lift and thrust." So then how does it turn without a vertical rotor?

I'd guess from varying the speed of either spin...the torque would turn the craft, right?

Makes ya wonder if one way would be easier when fully loaded, though. Front or rear steering, as it were. Although either way, they've got the same momentum to twist. One would be pushing, the other pulling...

A Chinook from Selfridge makes a run up the river once a month, too. The Coast Guard's rescue unit has a daily run up and down this all-so-contested international border. Sure wish we lived in peacetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I'd guess from varying the speed of either spin...the torque would turn the craft, right?

Makes ya wonder if one way would be easier when fully loaded, though. Front or rear steering, as it were. Although either way, they've got the same momentum to twist. One would be pushing, the other pulling...

A Chinook from Selfridge makes a run up the river once a month, too. The Coast Guard's rescue unit has a daily run up and down this all-so-contested international border. Sure wish we lived in peacetime.
    Lol. Beware the might of the Royal Canadian Aircraft.

I'd guess from varying the speed of either spin...the torque would turn the craft, right? ...
    Yes, or possibly tilting the rotors.

Here's a funny video of a guy that made a crude steampunky Chinook in virtual reality: Besiege #4 - Helicopter - Chinook. It takes him a while to figure out the need for counter-rotating rotors.

... Sure wish we lived in peacetime.
    Indeed. Will we every again?
    Last edited by Jimaz; June-07-15 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Yes, or possibly tilting the rotors.

Here's a funny video of a guy that made a crude steampunky Chinook in virtual reality: Besiege #4 - Helicopter - Chinook. It takes him awhile to figure out the need for counter-rotating rotors.

Indeed. Will we every again?
    Canada is clearly the sword of Damocles hanging over your heads. The horror. The horror.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Canada is clearly the sword of Damocles hanging over your heads. The horror. The horror.
    Yeah, I guess I didn't get the joke. Canada is one country we can be grateful for. Not sure about others.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    HAH! I thumb my nose @ Canada's empty threats. We built Fort Wayne to protect us from such piddly invasions. Within a moment's notice, Detroit's Minutmen, [[well, actually It's more like two-hour-and-ten-minute-men) can be assembled and ready @ the Fort to ward off such petty nonsense. [[providing, of course, there's no bottleneck @ the Blight Rail construction)

Link doesn't connect.......... did you mean this one?:

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde..._announce.html

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post

Last edited by Zacha341; June-07-15 at 01:50 PM.

I'm glad they're keeping up their training. Maybe we need more...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/a...riend/33206134
    Last edited by Gpwrangler; June-07-15 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    You see it often if you live near a military installation located close to an urban environment. I've seen Chinook flying over the east side since Vietnam days.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Link doesn't connect.......... did you mean this one?:

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde..._announce.html
    Yea. Dunno why the link I posted got jumbled up.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    You see it often if you live near a military installation located close to an urban environment. I've seen Chinook flying over the east side since Vietnam days.
    1200 feet above the Straits following it, yes, not a few hundred feet, contouring buildings. On the Eastside, I've seen 3 single prop copters, in formation, come over the. top of a building, drop, then go over the top of the next building, @ high speed. It's happened twice already. They couldn't have been more than 100-150 feet above me, maybe less. Not only a bit unnerving, but it seems a little dangerous to be doing that in a populated area.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Not only a bit unnerving, but it seems a little dangerous to be doing that in a populated area.

Nah, you NEVER hear about accidents during military training...right?!

There is some reason they are taking this risk nationwide.

Nah, you NEVER hear about accidents during military training...right?!

There is some reason they are taking this risk nationwide.
    OK I have beat up the far right plenty on this forum now its the far left's turn.

Gannon, understanding that our military, the American military, prepares and trains for every conceivable scenario might be lost in your paranoid opinion of the US military.

Yes, they train for things like pandemics that kill millions of Americans, terrorist attacks that are much worse than 9 11, even nuclear attacks that cause wide spread death and injury and human suffering among our populace. They have a readiness manual for your worst fears whatever they are. Myself I would expect nothing less considering how much aid has been lifted by helicopters to human beings around the world by the American military in dozens of countries. Why would anyone not think that eventually they will be needed right here at home very badly? Katrina was proof enough.

You live in one of the most civilized society's on earth. Never take that for granted. Your existence is dependent on diesel fuel flowing to trucks that take groceries to supermarkets, a power grid that can deliver electricity and many other factors that you never think about. Young Americans that join our military are not anywhere close to attacking and harming American civilians and if you are referencing anything like that you should think harder about what is actually threatening you.

Ask yourself is there anyone out in the world that would rejoice in a collapse of our society? Is there anyone that would be willing to cut off your head because you're just not like them? How about someone who would drive a truck bomb into a kindergarten just to grab some headlines for the cause? If you honestly feel that we are the greatest threat to ourselves then you have been swaddled in freedom way too much with your eyes tightly closed to what has happened to human beings and is still happening around the world since people have recorded history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast