Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Interesting Article On Gores and Detroit

Reading the lines [[and between the lines):

1). He wants to be a player downtown with Ilitch Holding and Gilbert.

2). Sitting out in Auburn Hills [["not being in an 'urban corridor' Dan Gilbert") is not consistent with his vision for basketball. Basketball is an urban sport. Maybe hockey can be in the distant 'burbs like downriver, but not basketball...

How does he get to be a big player downtown and how does he get the Pistons downtown [[given that he also owns the Palace)?

Detroit can never have enough folks with deep pockets...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...city/28578363/
    Last edited by emu steve; June-06-15 at 04:17 AM.

Yawn... wake me up when Gores actually does something, instead of talking about doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Yawn... wake me up when Gores actually does something, instead of talking about doing things.
    Yeah, because he's obviously never accomplished anything in his life.

How many professional sports teams do YOU own? Stadia?!

Ok then. Keep sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Yeah, because he's obviously never accomplished anything in his life.

How many professional sports teams do YOU own? Stadia?!

Ok then. Keep sleeping.
    Didn't he just contribute a nice sum for some worthy cause?

EDIT: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/05/...e-isle-bridge/
    Last edited by emu steve; June-06-15 at 07:55 AM.

well, kudos for the gift to the Jalen Rose Academy..
    ... i don't see the Pistons leaving AH for at least several more years, and of course they'd pretty much have to be bad seasons/low attendance.. which no one wants, right?
    Joe Louis Arena can be replaced with a new Pistons stadium. Seek land just east or west of downtown.
    it would be cool if Gores contributed to the blight removal initiative in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    well, kudos for the gift to the Jalen Rose Academy..
    ... i don't see the Pistons leaving AH for at least several more years, and of course they'd pretty much have to be bad seasons/low attendance.. which no one wants, right?
    Joe Louis Arena can be replaced with a new Pistons stadium. Seek land just east or west of downtown.
    it would be cool if Gores contributed to the blight removal initiative in the city.
    ??? How about the new arena at Woodward and Fisher?

One of the things about Ilitch/Gores is if they become close in terms of sports and development and could have their teams [[plural) in the same building.

I'm sure this is a story which will develop over the next 5 or 10 years...

A few years back, there was an article about Gores affiliated [[owned?) Platinum Equity buying a company and moving 500 jobs to Detroit. And AFAIK, nothing ever came of that. Hopefully he wants in on the action that Gilbert, and to a much lesser extent, Illitch are seeing with the revitalization of the core.

He lives in Beverly Hills CA, but owns a home on Grosse Isle as well.... hmmmm...

According to latest Forbes figures....
    Dan Gilbert worth... $4.8 Billion
    Mike Ilitch worth.... $4.2 Billion
    Tom Gores worth.... $3.2 Billion

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    A few years back, there was an article about Gores affiliated [[owned?) Platinum Equity buying a company and moving 500 jobs to Detroit. And AFAIK, nothing ever came of that. Hopefully he wants in on the action that Gilbert, and to a much lesser extent, Illitch are seeing with the revitalization of the core.
    I know they had something to do with Four Winns.

they ARE Gores - listed as owners of Palace Entertainment

From my understanding of how these things work, an increase in attendance from moving downtown plus any branding/experience benefits would have to be worth the loss of concessions control.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    From my understanding of how these things work, an increase in attendance from moving downtown plus any branding/experience benefits would have to be worth the loss of concessions control.
    I'm speaking with limited knowledge, but Gores having a pro team in the new arena at Woodward/Fisher would mean he would have a lot more skin in the game as far as downtown/mid-town.

It would be great to have Gilbert, Ilitch Holding, and Gores all in the area.

I'm just curious what Gores' interests are.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-06-15 at 07:27 PM.

get more creative with the hat colors/designs as well as the T-shirts. Go way beyond the "official" team colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    You are correct. That is why it is hard for me to believe it will happen. Otherwise, it would make perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by hypestyles View Post
    get more creative with the hat colors/designs as well as the t-shirts. Go way beyond the "official" team colors.
    no teal!!!

As they say, "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls:"

"Though he hasn't been asked yet, Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores said he'd be open to playing some games downtown once a new arena that's part of a larger $650-million project is open for business in 2017.
    Forging possible partnerships with the Ilitch family, which owns the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings and is behind the new downtown arena and entertainment district, is job one for super-agent Arn Tellem, hired by Gores last week as vice chairman of the organization."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...tons/28595777/

"Tom Wilson, president of Olympia Entertainment, said in a statement today: "With The District Detroit, we're planning and building a vibrant, walkable and active sports and entertainment district that will feature events throughout the year across numerous venues and public spaces. We appreciate what Tom Gores and the Pistons organization have accomplished, and we're absolutely open to any partnerships that bring exciting, unique events to Detroit and its fans."

Good point that Ilitch and Gores have entertainment interests which overlap significantly:

"Because Gores and the Ilitches have similar business interests, they are both competitors and potential partners..."
    Last edited by emu steve; June-07-15 at 04:27 AM.

Next, we need to figure out what ways besides sports and entertainment Gores wants to go.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    As they say, "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls:"

"Though he hasn't been asked yet, Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores said he'd be open to playing some games downtown once a new arena that's part of a larger $650-million project is open for business in 2017.
    Forging possible partnerships with the Ilitch family, which owns the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings and is behind the new downtown arena and entertainment district, is job one for super-agent Arn Tellem, hired by Gores last week as vice chairman of the organization."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...tons/28595777/

"Tom Wilson, president of Olympia Entertainment, said in a statement today: "With The District Detroit, we're planning and building a vibrant, walkable and active sports and entertainment district that will feature events throughout the year across numerous venues and public spaces. We appreciate what Tom Gores and the Pistons organization have accomplished, and we're absolutely open to any partnerships that bring exciting, unique events to Detroit and its fans."

Good point that Ilitch and Gores have entertainment interests which overlap significantly:

"Because Gores and the Ilitches have similar business interests, they are both competitors and potential partners..."
    This is kind of huge news if accurate. This new arena would have a lot more "bite" if it were home to the Pistons as well. Give more sports fans an opportunity to enjoy the new facility outside of hockey. Gilberts comments a while back seem to have gotten to Gores.

I hated when they installed the new scoreboard at the Palace, not the equipment, but ownerships commitment to hanging loose in AH for a longer period. I really despise the whole set up being an out of state visitor. I thought many times if I moved to the city or inner ring suburb there would still be little incentive to drive that far for just a game. It's so antiquated in every aspect.

My question is this:

Is this Gore's play to sell the Pistons to illitch?

Franchise values in the NBA are at an all time high following the Balmer Clipper purchase for 2 Billion.

This is who Gores is, and how he makes his money, BUY LOW AND SELL HIGH. See platinum equity.

Maybe in the deal they agree to split the concert bookings in the future?

Illitch doesn't strike me as the type who likes to share.

Illitch was supposedly interested in the team when they were sold to Gores.

Illitch would love those concession profits from Pistons game.

A Pistons move would be so splashy, another nice headline for the city nationally. Moving from one of the wealthiest counties in America, back to the core.

Fingers crossed EMUSTEVE..

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    This is kind of huge news if accurate. This new arena would have a lot more "bite" if it were home to the Pistons as well. Give more sports fans an opportunity to enjoy the new facility outside of hockey. Gilberts comments a while back seem to have gotten to Gores.

I hated when they installed the new scoreboard at the Palace, not the equipment, but ownerships commitment to hanging loose in AH for a longer period. I really despise the whole set up being an out of state visitor. I thought many times if I moved to the city or inner ring suburb there would still be little incentive to drive that far for just a game. It's so antiquated in every aspect.

My question is this:

Is this Gore's play to sell the Pistons to illitch?

Franchise values in the NBA are at an all time high following the Balmer Clipper purchase for 2 Billion.

This is who Gores is, and how he makes his money, BUY LOW AND SELL HIGH. See platinum equity.

Maybe in the deal they agree to split the concert bookings in the future?

Illitch doesn't strike me as the type who likes to share.

Illitch was supposedly interested in the team when they were sold to Gores.

Illitch would love those concession profits from Pistons game.

A Pistons move would be so splashy, another nice headline for the city nationally. Moving from one of the wealthiest counties in America, back to the core.

Fingers crossed EMUSTEVE..
    Thanks.

As I posted somewhere, basketball is an URBAN game. It is not designed to be played in Trenton, AH, Canton, etc.

Man, anyone who has been to a Wizards' playoff game knows that. Folks love the Verizon Center and Gallery Place area. It is the urban environment Detroiters, including the Ilitches, would dream. Subway to the arena, bar hop before and after, food places galore. Like NYC.

And, I'd assume, the NBA players want to be downtown. They have 'urban bones'. Would a James every want to play in say Green Bay?

I'll repeat a point I've made before about the teams, arena area and Ilitch holdings: Lot of the future will be in the hands of Miriam and Chris.

I don't think Miriam is big into sports.

When the day comes, and control passes for the Tigers and Wings, things have to go smoothly.

I doubt there is any interest in acquiring the Pistons now [[or even something small like a soccer team).
    Last edited by emu steve; June-07-15 at 10:08 AM.

Be careful not to read more than what has been written. There is an enormous difference between the Pistons "playing some games downtown", as Mr. Gores put it, and moving the Pistons to Detroit, which nobody in any official capacity with the Pistons has mentioned at all, so far as I can tell.

The Pistons also play some games in Chicago and some games in Boston but aren't moving to either of those locations.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post

The Pistons also play some games in Chicago and some games in Boston but aren't moving to either of those locations.
    Huh?

Bottom line is this, THEY ARE DRAWING FLIES IN A.H. Even when the team was winning games and battling to overcome a wretched start to the year, fans chose to stay home. They have some of the worst attendance in the league. Even before Lebron "came home", the Cavs had drawn better attendance than the Pistons the past few years. This franchise is stuck in neutral, if not reverse. It's time to change course.

Emusteve, were you part of this thread below? Might be time to bump it....

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ghlight=palace

I won't hold my breath for a move to downtown given the ownership of the Palace, but a few games a year would be great to see. Anything to boost the number of days/evenings that the arena is drawing people into the city and helping support nearby businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Huh?

Bottom line is this, THEY ARE DRAWING FLIES IN A.H. Even when the team was winning games and battling to overcome a wretched start to the year, fans chose to stay home. They have some of the worst attendance in the league. Even before Lebron "came home", the Cavs had drawn better attendance than the Pistons the past few years. This franchise is stuck in neutral, if not reverse. It's time to change course.

Emusteve, were you part of this thread below? Might be time to bump it....

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ghlight=palace
    I was not.

At the time of that thread, I don't think I was on this forum. I came on this forum when things started heating up for a new arena. Maybe 2011????
    Last edited by emu steve; June-07-15 at 12:42 PM.

Hockey and Basketball arena's are different.... and there are sight lines/seating issues to contend with when a stadium is set up for both. Brooklyn's Barclay's Arena is getting a retrofit to add on the NY Islanders Hockey games.

So I think of the talking between the Gores and Ilitch organizations as a way for them to make some changes to the new arena configuration now, should basketball ever move to that facility, either occasionally or full time.

Smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Hockey and Basketball arena's are different.... and there are sight lines/seating issues to contend with when a stadium is set up for both. Brooklyn's Barclay's Arena is getting a retrofit to add on the NY Islanders Hockey games.

So I think of the talking between the Gores and Ilitch organizations as a way for them to make some changes to the new arena configuration now, should basketball ever move to that facility, either occasionally or full time.

Smart move.
    I don't want to quibble, but most arenas SHOULD be constructed to suit both hockey and basketball.

IF this arena is not [[so designed), bad, bad mistake as it will be a popular site for tourneys [[e.g., Horizon League, NCAA, etc.) from the 'get go' even before if we know if it will be a future site for the Pistons and some 'Detroit' games for MSU, [[maybe) UofM, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Thanks.

As I posted somewhere, basketball is an URBAN game. It is not designed to be played in Trenton, AH, Canton, etc.

Man, anyone who has been to a Wizards' playoff game knows that. Folks love the Verizon Center and Gallery Place area. It is the urban environment Detroiters, including the Ilitches, would dream. Subway to the arena, bar hop before and after, food places galore. Like NYC.

And, I'd assume, the NBA players want to be downtown. They have 'urban bones'. Would a James every want to play in say Green Bay?

I'll repeat a point I've made before about the teams, arena area and Ilitch holdings: Lot of the future will be in the hands of Miriam and Chris.

I don't think Miriam is big into sports.

When the day comes, and control passes for the Tigers and Wings, things have to go smoothly.

I doubt there is any interest in acquiring the Pistons now [[or even something small like a soccer team).
    I had a little chuckle when I read your "urban bones" comment as I pictured a NBA player with a multimillion dollar contract choosing a not ready for prime time downtown over a mansion on Orchard Lake or or a pad in downtown Birmingham. Those so called urban bones apparently go bye bye when someone has the world by the short ones and the means to satisfy their ego. It also doesn't help that there aren't many [[if any at all) truly high end living options downtown. I'm not in the biz of guessing where someone wants to live but other than John Salley and Sergei Federov way back in he day I can't think of a major local athlete who has lived in the city recently. Someone please educate me if I'm wrong and try not to make it some player no one has heard of.
    Last edited by TTime; June-07-15 at 05:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast