Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Red Bull Global Rallycross announces race weekend for Belle Isle in Detroit

Aw geez, not this s*** again. Why doesn't the state sell the naming rights to Belle Isle while they are are at it? 'Loud and Stay Away State Park'? Meanwhile, a year and a half after their takeover, one can hardly drive on Vista Dr. and other stretches for all the pot holes.
    "The Red Bull Global Rallycross series confirmed on Wednesday that the series will race July 25-26 on Belle Isle in Detroit, site of this past weekend's Verizon IndyCar Series doubleheader.

The GRC had originally planned to make its Motor City debut in 2014, but the series canceled the event a month before it was scheduled due to issues with a proposed location. That proposed 2014 location was never announced.

Red Bull Global Rallycross Detroit will feature two races, counting as rounds five and six of the series’ 2015 championship, and the second of four doubleheaders on this year’s schedule.“Racing in the Motor City has always been a priority for Red Bull Global Rallycross,” said Red Bull GRC CEO Colin Dyne.

“We know that local fans have been waiting patiently for us to make the trip to Detroit, and we are pleased to do so by competing on Belle Isle, which has its own rich motorsports heritage. The added bonus of this being a doubleheader event means that we will be able to provide incredible value and a fantastic show for our fans.”

Red Bull GRC tracks feature a mix of dirt and tarmac, as well as a signature 70-foot jump. Events feature open paddock access allowing fans to get up close to the series’ 600-horsepower Supercars, and each race weekend includes an all-series autograph session where fans can interact with superstars including Ken Block, Tanner Foust, Brian Deegan, Scott Speed, Nelson Piquet Jr., and Bucky Lasek."

Come to Belle Isle Raceway, Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

Since when has the DNR gotten into the auto-racing business? WTF? This is why I'm paying $11a year? Literally half of the island is destroyed after Penske's effin' Grand Pricks, and now this?

Belle Isle has a "rich motorsports heritage"? "Since 2007" is a rich heritage?

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    As the years go by, this is why Detroiters end up deeply distrustful of ceding control in the name of appealing promises.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    As the years go by, this is why Detroiters end up deeply distrustful of ceding control in the name of appealing promises.
    Ok, You were right, is that what you wanted to hear?

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    try on and off since 1989. And don't forget - hydroplanes racing off belle isle for more than a century

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    try on and off since 1989. And don't forget - hydroplanes racing off belle isle for more than a century
    Although, time and technology have been kind to them...turning the Thunderfest into moreso a Whizzfest. It is now the quietest event near downtown, when it used to be one of the loudest!

There will be no time for the grass seed planted by Penske to take root...the western end of the island will be an eternal mudfest. Until it freezes.

So, we'll have concrete and mud. Glad I didn't buy that sticker for our second car...I don't think the State deserves the money.

What are the terms of the lease again? How can it be broken?!

I'm not a fan of large commercialized events on Belle Isle and IMO the park should be kept as a park not a race track or concert venue. That being said, I don't quite understand how one can blame the State takeover. The city allowed these events for decades and the State apparently is just keeping the status quo [[At least for a while). When the State has made significant changes [[Like actually enforcing the posted speed limits) many of the same people were here throwing a fit about it.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-05-15 at 02:57 PM.

I think it's symbolically and probably economically very important to keep auto racing and other motorsports in the city.

But I think racing on Belle Isle is reaching a scale where it would be prudent to find an alternative location. Belle Isle should be a park in a somewhat traditional sense, meaning for people and pets, fishing and grilling. The noise and grime of cars are omnipresent enough in southeast Michigan that we don't need to dedicate a park to it also. There's a far cry between cruising slow in a nice car with the tunes up on a Friday or Saturday and turning a third of the island into a racetrack.

Maybe there's enough contiguous space in the I94 industrial park renaissance zone.

I just read that it is only going to use the paddock area of the Grand Prix track and they only expect 5,000 attendees. NO road closings.

Sorry, I didn't copy the link, but I think it was in the Free Press. It came as an update on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I just read that it is only going to use the paddock area of the Grand Prix track and they only expect 5,000 attendees. NO road closings.

Sorry, I didn't copy the link, but I think it was in the Free Press. It came as an update on my phone.
    Your not implying they're going to be running "600 HP Supercars" around that paddock, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ok, You were right, is that what you wanted to hear?
    Ha! I know you and I have been at odds at times, Honky, but I'd rather have avoided such a high price for any personal vindication I feel.

Anyway, the point is that, as you see the same things happen in this town over and over, you begin to understand why the people here often, rightly or wrongly, distrust the sweet promises of the powers that be, who only need them to cede a little temporary control.

Or, as one guy once asked: Is it paranoia if you're right?

I think the issues with Belle Isle are simply indicative of the fact that Detroit has an underwhelming shortage of quality parks. For the few days of the year that these events occupy the park, people don't seem to have any alternative parks to visits which is a tragic situation.

A new racing stadium needs to be carved out of the abandoned parts of the city. Sieze land from derelict landowners like the Moroun/DIBC operation. Promote racing events to more urban Detroit residents. Partner with local high schools to have racing-team clinics and internships.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Ha! I know you and I have been at odds at times, Honky, but I'd rather have avoided such a high price for any personal vindication I feel.

Anyway, the point is that, as you see the same things happen in this town over and over, you begin to understand why the people here often, rightly or wrongly, distrust the sweet promises of the powers that be, who only need them to cede a little temporary control.

Or, as one guy once asked: Is it paranoia if you're right?
    I'm not seeing where the state is wrong here. The state did not bring the Grand Prix to Belle Isle. The city did that 26 years ago.

As for this new Red Bull race event, it is to be contained to a small section of the island, and will not restrict vehicle access to the island, like the Metallica Orion Festival did in 2013, when the city was still in control.

I'm all about criticizing the state when it is warranted, but I find it quite disingenuous to vilify the state for allowing a fairly small event, which won't restrict access to the park, while conveniently forgetting about the fact that the city allowed Metallica to cut off all vehicle access [[and large sections of the park) for an expensive multi-day concert just two years ago.

I share the same concerns about events that restrict public access to the island, but let's not pretend that the city wasn't actively supporting these type of restricted events while the island was still under their control.

I figured the Grand Prix was just that, and would be torn down and gone quickly. Apparently not. I tried to get to Flynn Pavilion late yesterday afternoon and could not-- entire west side of the island is blocked off by orange barrels and security guards! Reason given was "they're still tearing down" from the Grand Prix, and they might, MIGHT be ready to open it all up by June 22!

I'm thinking those suggesting some other race venue in metro Detroit have a very, very good point.