Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking for a locally-owned non-chain pharmacy with GOOD SERVICE

I loved living in Ann Arbor, but there aren't too many things that I really miss about living there. This is one of them...WHY OH WHY IS IT SO IMPOSSIBLE TO GET HALF-WAY DECENT NON-INCOMPETENT SERVICE at a local pharmacy in Detroit?

I'm searching for a small, privately-owned or family-owned pharmacy where the techs are professional, the lines aren't ridiculously long, and parking is decently ok.

Am willing to pay more.

The last time I was at CVS, I dropped off a new prescription in the morning, came back after work at 6pm. After waiting in a long line, I found out they hadn't even started filling it because they needed to confirm that my insurance would cover it. [[The total cost...even I had paid cash, was $32.)

Then after I said that I would pay the cash, the pharmacist told me that because I had gotten the most recent refill so recently, they couldn't fill it. I explained to them that my doctor upped my dosage, which is why I am bringing in a new prescription. The pharmacist said that the insurance wouldn't cover it. I replied, "Yes, that's why I am willing to pay you the $32."

Then he said that he couldn't fill it without the doctor verifying it by phone. I told him to go ahead and call the doctor...whose voicemail says, "We will not verify prescriptions over the phone, only in writing". And, of course, the doctor is already verifying it in writing...this wasn't a refill, IT WAS A BRAND NEW PRESCRIPTION.

After 40 minutes, I left after still not getting my prescription filled.

They could have called me earlier in the day.
    They could have accepted my cash payment instead of worrying about insurance.
    They could have honored the written prescription I had brought in.

There are so many ways this experience didn't have to as unpleasant as it was. So CVS, you're fired.

Does anyone know a pharmacy with good service around here?

If your on the east side try Fairway Drugs at 10 Mile and 94. They also have a awesome craft beer selection.

Jill's in downtown Farmington is great independent drug store.

cvs is awful. i have had nothing but problems with dropping off new prescritptions and their online refill program. i get emails telling me my order is ready for pick-up and it never is! recently, i went in three times for a "pick-up is ready" order. i got smart and call to make sure it's ready. the pharmacy tech never, ever smiles and when you ask a question, you get the roll eye, i can't be bothered look. finally, i emailed the corporation after getting repeated automated phone calls that my precription was ready....i had picked it up the week before!

i just received a phone call this week from their customer service department and will be "taking care of the situation". we shall see

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Does anyone know a pharmacy with good service around here?
    I'm not sure what "around here" covers?
    I usually go with these guys, they're near my house and small enough to appreciate the business. Rarely more than 1 person ahead of me, usually parking within a few places from the door, good service.

Crown Pharmacy at 24401 Plymouth Rd
    http://www.crownpharmacy.com/

I've always had good service at Rite-Aid at multiple locations, including the Harbortown store.

We've tried a few of the chain pharmacies, a couple local [[eastside/suburb) places, and Target is, hands-down, the winner. They are always on the ball about refills, weird dosage changes, and insurance oddness.

I'm sure there is probably an independent place that's good as well, but we haven't found one yet.

I guess it depends on the location. I've never had an issue with the chain pharmacies around NE Detroit and the adjacent suburbs.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-04-15 at 04:42 PM.

I've never had a big problem with Kroger. My Doctor has a automatic refill program for Kroger. They then notify me by voicemail when it's ready.
    So far not a problem.

Had no problems with Walgreens at Fort and Eureka.

When I lived in Indian Village I went to Notre Dame Pharmacy on Kercheval in Grosse Pte. I don't know if it's still there.

Try Merit Woods pharmacy on Mack, just north of Moross, in the Woods. Sheldon Weisberg has owned and operated it for about 30 years now. He is a real mensch and takes great care of his customers.

Have you tried Redford Pharmacy on Lahser, next door to the Redford Theater?

http://www.redfordpharmacy.com

My father has actually had mostly very good experiences with the CVS on Jefferson. He gets regular refill calls [[and the pills are there when he goes to pick up), they have any prescriptions ready within a couple of hours and call to notify him, they keep track of his medications and call him, one lady there even called him to check up when she hadn't seen him in about a month.

Another place he's been treated well is Beacon Pointe Pharmacy, which is on Jefferson a few blocks into Grosse Pointe Park. They even do compounding for unusual medications, which is rare these days. I also second the recommendation of Notre Dame Pharmacy on Kercheval in the Village. Very nice people there.

I'm not sure if Beacon Pointe Pharmacy still delivers prescriptions. But when my mother lived at the River House Apts. they used to deliver prescriptions to the residents there.

I second the opinion regarding Beacon Pointe. They also delivery. I am not sure of their complete geographic area regarding this service. They are exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful.

oakman pharmacy on oakman blvd between ford and mich in dearborn. but they dont have long hours, 9-5 i think.
    Last edited by compn; June-08-15 at 01:15 PM.

There is a private pharmacy in Hamtramck on Jos Campau across from the old Wendies, that is olde world as in Eastern European, and there are a lot a Bangeshi pharmacies. The CVS in Hamtramck is always very good.

Wow! Wonderful that Merit is still there! I'll second that recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    We've tried a few of the chain pharmacies, a couple local [[eastside/suburb) places, and Target is, hands-down, the winner. They are always on the ball about refills, weird dosage changes, and insurance oddness.

I'm sure there is probably an independent place that's good as well, but we haven't found one yet.

You might have to start looking for a new pharmacy. Looks like CVS just bought out all the Target pharmacy locations and will be changing all of them to CVS stores soon.

"CVS Health Corp. will pay $1.9 billion to buy Target Corp.’s pharmacies and clinics, expanding its reach by adding stores bearing its name inside the second-largest discount retail chain in the U.S."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cvs-pa...111016794.html

So much for the chance of the consumer benefiting from a little bit of competition among thieves!
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-15-15 at 08:13 AM.

There is Rosedale Community Pharmacy on Grand Rive and Outer Drive in the Rosedale Park neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/ph...02e94eb074360c
    Last edited by masterblaster; June-16-15 at 01:55 AM. Reason: add link