Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Oh, those Reefer Rats...

Okay....so, I was wrong about this being from "one of our papers" [[actually it was a clipping from some Herald stuck in with a bunch of News/Freep clippings. Simple mistake.), yet, it's still a hoot.
    Name:  reeferrats_NEW.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  27.2 KB Boy, some vested interests from Mead-Hearst to Anslinger to Hoover on down really got to fracturing the truth to "Reefer Madness" proportions. I mean, I could care about "Demon Weed", but distortion, lies, and propaganda [[like from those guys who tell you they got an article from a local paper, eh?) on any matter get me riled [[whether it's Ozzy Osborne "suicides" or some neurological studies major-turned-Manchurian Candidate-killer "dressed as the Joker" in Colorado). By the way, did you know, that "Detroit" is listed as slang for "Cannabis" http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Cannabis_slang

Well, anyway, enjoy, and I hope to add a transcription if it's a bit too squinty to read...

My favorite line is the last one that cuts off: "All sex perverts may not be marijuana smokers, but practically all marijuana smokers are sex perverts."

Brings to mind this hideous diatribe from this conservative pundit. Yeeeup, those military chaplains, fraternal/civic organizations, and psychiatrists are going to "fight perversion" in their midst-because it was coming strictly from those "commies", eh, and not from within their own secretive walls, Sexological consortiums, and all male functions, right?

I may be Christian with my gripes about society's downfall, but I was never one for convoluted "purity crusades".
    Last edited by G-DDT; June-01-15 at 02:53 PM.

Forgot to get back to this. So, I decided to crank it out before the weekend kicks in for me.

"It Happened Last Night-
    Reefer Rats Have a Smell-It's Not a Pretty Odor to Meet, Either by Earl Wilson New York
    I'm getting to be a reformer! Today I'm going to beat up that Marijuana Mob-The Reefer Rats.
    I asked a fellow whether reefers are still freely sold here.
    He went to a likely source-a swing musician, in the Fifties somewhere.
    "Seen Mr. Alexander?" he asked the musician.
    "Mr. Alexander" is sort of a password.

"How many?" said the musician. He was a shy a s a Broadway billboard.
    "Half a dozen sticks."
    "Is THAT all?" the musician was disappointed at meeting such a picayunish user. He brought out six of the thin, roll-your-owns and collected $6.
    It seems to me that Petrillo or somebody ought to clean up this despicable swing musician's mess which has a livery stable smell.

Marijuana and musicians lately seem to go together like ham and eggs. A few musicians are just plain scum with the morals of a procurer, and they besmirch the decent musicians who outnumber them by far.
    But nothing'll happen: nobody cares much about anything.
    Bob Mitchum thought he was washed up, but he didn't appreciate his public's curiosity.
    Gangs of goggle-eyed goofs busted their britches to gape at him in his new film and they howled hilariously when in one scene he asked for a cigaret. All of us who were sorry to see him get into trouble were glad he wasn't hurt too much.
    But-the wages of sin is a hit picture!
    Musicians are, however, the worst reefer-users, and I deplore the moronic efforts to convince us the marijuana is no more harmful than a cubeb.

I'll take the more recent opinion of Col. Garland Williams, head of U.S. narcotics enforcement.
    Reefers ARE habit-forming. All sex perverts may not be marijuana smokers, but practically all marijuana smokers are sex perverts.

The author was a bit of a celeb:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_W...28columnist%29

A fuller version can be found here:https://books.google.com/books?id=-Q...itchum&f=false
    Interesting article I found pressed in the pages of a used book.

Guess it was more gossip oriented directed at Mitchum and society's ambivalence to his famous arrest, but I can't help but feel with the language he uses it goes beyond sarcasm and jumping on the "Reefer Madness" bandwagon mainstream society was on at the time.

Just wanted to share that with y'all.

Well, uh. Ok.

Well, I guess I mention it because some of those who had grotesquely antiquated beliefs [[like the ones I just presented from past articles) regarding "demon weed" are the ones still wielding great influence in parts of this country http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/news/united-for-care-calls-on-antidrug-group-to-drop-carlton-turner-over-his-remarks-on-aids-and-homosexuality-6458130

Also: http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/news/top-five-questionable-characters-involved-with-drug-free-florida-6470795

Amazing how once in, some conservative representatives stay on and on like herpes. Despite allegations of being a "stoner" [[havn't touched the stuff in over 12 years-can't imagine most Dy-ers handling a 12 month stretch in jail, much less 12 years-just to give you idea how long of a span of time that is), I can care less for grass. It should only have been legalized for one of the very things folks were whining about in NORML-being legalized for textile purposes. Yet, I hate lies and back-peddaling by "professionals" getting by on the amnesia of the greater populace at large.