Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Roosevelt Hotel for sale again?

I thought some company still owned it and were trying to raise funds to make condos? http://www.loopnet.com/property/15108618/2250-14th-St/

That's really expensive too for the hunk of junk that it is

In before "Tear that schitt down!"

Lol @ "Amtrak railway station".

Speaking of the train station, what's the news on the progress you guys have been making? Have you been able to resume work?

Yeah I thought that was funny! You search it on Yahoo and it comes up "Penn Central...no phone number available may be closed" with some OLD mid-1950's photograph accompanying the listing!

As far as progress goes we're still waiting on the MiOSHA/EPA recommendations. We also recently became, and I became co-president [[makes me think of a Scrubs episode lol) of The Michigan Central Station Preservation Society Inc. which Mr. Maroun has donated $10,000 in starting funds for our exterior beautification work, from flowers, to a planned exterior lighting; say you're coming from Canada at night and there's this big black hole on the right side of the bridge, yeah that's going bye bye, say hello architectural lighting!

Everything else interior is on hold though until things get safe, but we may actually start doing tours of the main floor to raise more money for the Society, once that's deemed safe. Next on the list though is tearing out all the windows...

I'm glad to hear that. Exterior lighting would be a huge change from the complete darkness that's there now. And congrats to you.

thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    I thought some company still owned it and were trying to raise funds to make condos? http://www.loopnet.com/property/15108618/2250-14th-St/

That's really expensive too for the hunk of junk that it is
    And here I thought Matty owned that whole strip. Do you know anything about who owns and what's happening with the boarded up CPA building?

The roosevelt Hotel is not in much different shape than before and they wanted almost a million for it a few years ago.... GCDC wants to buy it and make it apartments but so far have not raised the funds to do so as far as I know... I also believe that there may be some pending issues that need to be addressed ASAP....
    Last edited by urbanoutdoors; August-07-09 at 12:55 AM.

I realize I'm threadjacking here, but looking at the photo of the hotel, I've got to ask this question, "Which was built first, the hotel or the house next to the hotel?" I have to assume the house was built first and then they squeezed the hotel next to the house. How was this allowed? Seems almost impossible for anyone to do any work on that side of the house that's next to the hotel.

Lorax Guest

Any of these buildings shouldn't be more than 20 thousand bucks or so, since they all require millions to renovate.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    And here I thought Matty owned that whole strip. Do you know anything about who owns and what's happening with the boarded up CPA building?
    Matty owns just MCS and the Roosevelt warehouse. As far as the CPA building goes, I asked DIBC's community relations woman when she was at the Station with us, and she told me it was some small business owner who has been slowly working to gain capital to do something with it, I don't recall his name or what business he ran though, sorry...at least the drive-thru provides some shade to the homeless I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I realize I'm threadjacking here, but looking at the photo of the hotel, I've got to ask this question, "Which was built first, the hotel or the house next to the hotel?" I have to assume the house was built first and then they squeezed the hotel next to the house. How was this allowed? Seems almost impossible for anyone to do any work on that side of the house that's next to the hotel.
    I'm not sure they could've all been there at the same time. I know the hotel was there right when the Station opened as it's mentioned in an article from January 1914.

Roosevelt Park was not fully finished until 1920 because of difficulty in getting proper clearance to demolish the Irish cottages that were in the vicinity and I imagine those houses next to The Roosevelt were just left behind.

As for why it was allowed to happen well zoning laws and clearances were very different back in the early 1900's you still had child labor, women didn't have the right to vote or do much of anything. It was still the Guilded Age, this was right after the Titanic sank, WWI was just starting, so I think building a hotel within 3 feet next to an existing house wasn't a concern for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Any of these buildings shouldn't be more than 20 thousand bucks or so, since they all require millions to renovate.
    I willing to bet that that hotel went for under 20 grand in a foreclosure/tax sale at some point, but the price got lost somewhere after the owners took the Charlton Sheets Intro to Carpet Bagging seminar.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Matty owns just MCS and the Roosevelt warehouse. As far as the CPA building goes, I asked DIBC's community relations woman when she was at the Station with us, and she told me it was some small business owner who has been slowly working to gain capital to do something with it, I don't recall his name or what business he ran though, sorry...at least the drive-thru provides some shade to the homeless I guess.
    Any idea how long has it been empty for and how long he owned it?

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Any idea how long has it been empty for and how long he owned it?
    I have no idea. I'm sure it has been for at least the last 15 years though. It has modern fixtures on the lower level from what I've been able to tell from a few drive-by's. I'm sure it went under in the early 1990's.

I'm sure someone on here knows.

The Roosevelt has been for sale for quite some time. The Realtor who sold me my house, Lauren Bruyninga of O'Connor Realty has had a banner on the Roosevelt for at least a year if not longer.

I noticed the fence infront of the hotel is gone. I saw guys throwing things out of the building into the huge dumpsters out front. Anyone know what's going on?

The Imagination Station people talked to the Roosevelt owners yesterday and were told that the property is being rehabbed into lofts. The fence came down 6 mos. ago.

I believe Dennis Kefallinos bought the building about a year ago at a county auction. It's his usual MO to turn his building into low class lofts.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I believe Dennis Kefallinos bought the building about a year ago at a county auction. It's his usual MO to turn his building into low class lofts.
    Do you mean low income lofts/section 8 or renovated in a cheap Lowes/Walmart sort of way?

Also the link in the first post doesn't work anymore.

Yeah the link ain't workin, so here's the old Roosevelt Hotel. It was used as a men's homeless shelter until a 1998 fire gutted the building.
    Name:  MCSHotel.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  19.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Resurrecting a thread from a couple of years ago. Dowtownguy had correct information.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ndows.php#more

When it actually was the Roosevelt Hotel back in the 60's, we went there in high school and listened to Jazz music.