Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Roger Penske Could Use A Break [[In the Weather)

I'm not a big racing fan, and I understand those who are against all the concrete on Belle Isle, but I sure think Roger Penske deserves a break for this race. He's poured his time, efforts and money into it and what has he got - bankrupt GM & Chrysler, muddy paddocks, buckling concrete and now horrible weather!

And the people that live in the residential area around the inner City race track got a welcome relief from the deafening racket. And they say there is no God.....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And the people that live in the residential area around the inner City race track got a welcome relief from the deafening racket. And they say there is no God.....
    Actually I like the sounds.

Never should have moved it out of downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Yeah, damnit! We didn't finish pissing off every F1 driver in the world, nor freeze activity downtown for a month every year since.

While I loved the sounds of the course downtown...and the ability to crash the course and drive an impromtu hot lap or two while the old-school security tried to chase us down...now that I've got someone dear to me who works on Jefferson, I'm very, very happy it is not held downtown any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Just like Tiger Stadium, too many of the "little people" were making money. By commandeering a public park, and cutting off all unauthorized access, the money gets funneled in one direction. Glad mother nature has her own way of dealing with things.

Meanwhile, the real Grand Prix held in Monaco last weekend was sunny and beautiful.

And now the real Grand Prix moves to Montreal this weekend. Its held on Ile Notre Dame, an island in the St. Lawrence. I wonder if the people of Montreal complain about a race being held on their island park? Calling Canuck.

I was down there for the race one year when it was raining like hell. The island was MUDDY. Whe didn't have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I was down there for the race one year when it was raining like hell. The island was MUDDY. Whe didn't have a good time.
    I went down for a walk-around yesterday morning to see the damage done by all the traffic off the roads and concrete...it is a mess. A little beer van was stuck in one of the grass parking lots.

But Penske's team was hard at work, other than the mud it'd be tough to prove that the event ended just over half a day ago. There must've been a parade of semi-trucks barreling over the MacArthur Bridge overnight.

They were just finishing loading the loaner Camaros, which I almost volunteered to assist. Ahem.

I'd swear we saw Mr. Penske himself driving onto the island in one of the promo Corvettes...I hope he had boots, if he was getting out for a stroll.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; June-02-15 at 05:58 AM.