Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Teen killed by police in Trenton

We've heard these controversial stores all too often now...now we just got one. Will this result in protests around here?

http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...mode=fullstory
    An 18-year-old man who allegedly attacked two Trenton police officers with a lawnmower blade has died after being shot by police Thursday afternoon.

The shooting happened at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday at a house near Longmeadow and West Road.

James Nardone, the city’s director of police and fire, said they were initially called to the house for reports of a young man who was highly agitated and possibly under the influence of drugs. After officers arrived, the man attacked them with the blade.

Nardone said they first used a Taser on the man, but ended up shooting at him after he continued toward officers, cutting one of the officers in his hand.

“The suspect suffered a single gunshot wound to the abdomen, and, sadly, early this morning, he passed away,” Nardone said.

The officer injured by the lawnmower blade was treated and released from an area hospital.

Nardone said police are not releasing the name of the officer nor the man killed in the incident, pending investigation.

Michigan State Police are investigating.

Ryan Bridges, a spokesman for Wayne County, said an autopsy is slated for Saturday, but officials could not release the name of the man as he has not yet been identified by family.

Though police are not identifying the man, officials at Trenton Public Schools did confirm that he was a graduating senior at Trenton High School.
    “After hearing the news last night, we activated our crisis team, which includes social workers and counselors in the district,” Supt. Rodney Wakeham said Friday. “We had a meeting this morning, and we are offering students and staff counseling.

“Our plan is to keep them in place as long as we need to as we move through this difficult period.”

Wakeham said the school district has additional resources to draw from and has been offered additional counseling assistance from neighboring Downriver school districts.

"After officers arrived, the man attacked them with the blade.
    Nardone said they first used a Taser on the man, but ended up shooting at him after he continued toward officers, cutting one of the officers in his hand."

I think we should give him a Darwin award instead.

I'm sorry, he attacked the offiers with a deadly weapon. Not saddened by the outcome in the least.

What, no video?

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I'm sorry, he attacked the officers with a deadly weapon. Not saddened by the outcome in the least.

Perhaps he did; I guess once in awhile the officers story is true, even if often these days that is not the case. Maybe this is one of those.

" a young man who was highly agitated and possibly under the influence of drugs."

Do "peace officers" have any training for situations such as this other than to shoot?
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-30-15 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Not saddened by the outcome in the least.
    Because its certainly not sad when an 18 year old has a bad reaction to some drug and ends up dead.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Perhaps he did; I guess once in awhile the officers story is true, even if often these days that is not the case. Maybe this is one of those.

" a young man who was highly agitated and possibly under the influence of drugs."

Do "peace officers" have any training for situations such as this other than to shoot?
    Oh for God's sake. "Often it is not the case"? Geez. Yes, they have the training.

Because its certainly not sad when an 18 year old has a bad reaction to some drug and ends up dead.
    And it was the 18 year old who decided to take the drugs and face any consequences that came from taking them.

I agree with gumby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Oh for God's sake. "Often it is not the case"? Geez. Yes, they have the training.
    Yes, its often not the case. And as for the training, one might wonder why American cops kill so many more citizens than is the case in other western countries. A dozen a year in Canada and over 1,000 in the US? And nothing is amiss?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...d9e_story.html
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-30-15 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    And it was the 18 year old who decided to take the drugs and face any consequences that came from taking them.

I agree with gumby.
    You two must have been some squeaky clean 18 year olds. Perhaps you never took a drink or a prohibited drug. Never, ever in your life. Because if you had and something terrible had happened.....in would have been fine, right?

I'm a little more generous I guess, and do find it sad when a young life is lost over a foolish mistake.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-30-15 at 06:28 PM.

Yes, its often not the case. And as for the training, one might wonder why American cops kill so many more citizens than is the case in other western countries. A dozen a year in Canada and over 1,000 in the US? And nothing is amiss?

So much for sticking to the topic. The lawn mower blade probably had a lot to do with the outcome.

So much for sticking to the topic. The lawn mower blade probably had a lot to do with the outcome.
    Odd how nobody in England or Canada or Germany ever seems to armed with anything at all. Perhaps our approach to policing had a lot to do with the outcome as well.

You two must have been some squeaky clean 18 year olds. Perhaps you never took a drink or a prohibited drug. Never, ever in your life. Because if you had and something terrible had happened.....in would have been fine, right?

I'm a little more generous I guess, and do find it sad when a young life is lost over a foolish mistake.
    On on what planet is attacking a police officer with a lawnmower blade a "Foolish a Mistake"?

What a stupid discussion. I made plenty of mistakes but never attacked a cop.

Im out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    On on what planet is attacking a police officer with a lawnmower blade a "Foolish a Mistake"?
    Taking some drug that f*cks you up to that extent is a foolish mistake. Attacking with a lawnmower blade is not a normal course of action, even if one is "agitated."

Taking some drug that f*cks you up to that extent is a foolish mistake. Attacking with a lawnmower blade is not a normal course of action, even if one is "agitated."
    That would be a foolish choice. A mistake is something you did not intend to do!

Probably because the Canadian Government doesn't put up with half the $hit that the U.S. does. The U.S. panders to every ethnic group, every organization that fights the police at every turn, the ACLU and rioters and looters.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Probably because the Canadian Government doesn't put up with half the $hit that the U.S. does. The U.S. panders to every ethnic group, every organization that fights the police at every turn, the ACLU and rioters and looters.
    I don't see people leaving in droves to live in these "gentle" countries either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    That would be a foolish choice. A mistake is something you did not intend to do!
    Not really
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mistake

Odd how nobody in England or Canada or Germany ever seems to armed with anything at all. Perhaps our approach to policing had a lot to do with the outcome as well.
    So when are you leaving?

I don't see people leaving in droves to live in these "gentle" countries either.
    Do you see people leaving those countries in droves?

You should all be at least glad that we're not fighting, burning and looting as a result of this.

Remember when a teen was killed by police in Ferguson? The citizens reacted with fighting, burning and looting.

Remember when a teen was killed by police in Baltimore? The citizens reacted with fighting, burning and looting.

We don't want this to turn into another 1967...

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    You should all be at least glad that we're not fighting, burning and looting as a result of this.

Remember when a teen was killed by police in Ferguson? The citizens reacted with fighting, burning and looting.

Remember when a teen was killed by police in Baltimore? The citizens reacted with fighting, burning and looting.

We don't want this to turn into another 1967...
    I hate to be the one to point out the elephant in the room, but this Trenton kid was white...

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    I hate to be the one to point out the elephant in the room, but this Trenton kid was white...
    He was white? That changes everything......

I agree with you. Proper action by the police would have been to let the child continue to whack @ them with the lawnmower blade until he collapsed from exhaustion. It would have then been just a simple matter to call an ambulance for the cops, and a Metro Car for the child, to avoid causing him any further trama. After all, he's just a product of society and a good boy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast