Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DPD Chief announces carjacking arrests and cautions drivers

From article:
    Following key arrests in a spate of weekend carjackings, Detroit Police Chief James Craig on Tuesday urged residents to be careful of their surroundings and stepped back from an earlier statement that indicated he would avoid pumping gas in Detroit overnight.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...roit/27960831/
    This weeks west and east side fatal car jackings. Teens and adults involved in the crimes:

Man killed near gas station Detroit's west side

3 suspects arrested in connection with carjackings, fatal shooting in Detroit
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-30-15 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...roit/27960831/

From article:

Following key arrests in a spate of weekend carjackings, Detroit Police Chief James Craig on Tuesday urged residents to be careful of their surroundings and stepped back from an earlier statement that indicated he would avoid pumping gas in Detroit overnight.

This weeks west and east side fatal car jackings. Teens and adults involved in the crimes:

Man killed near gas station Detroit's west side

3 suspects arrested in connection with carjackings, fatal shooting in Detroit
    I wonder if he asked all the dead people killed by jackers for their vehicles what their viewpoint would be about buying gas after dark in Detroit? Even in daylight you take your chances. Plenty of jackings and shootings happen during the day too. Gas station owners should call the DPD when people hang around pumping stations for no apparent reason. If there are no sporting events or anyone in the dog park, they might show up.

It's pretty crazy! I have called and made complaint to gas stations that have people loitering, peddling stolen debit cards, pan-handling or what not. The station [[can't recall name at the moment) on Woodward and Davison used to have folks 'hanging out' last year. I have a gas station on Woodward and Hazelwood that has an armed bouncer that is cool. But none late at night, anywhere: city of suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I wonder if he asked all the dead people killed by jackers for their vehicles what their viewpoint would be about buying gas after dark in Detroit? Even in daylight you take your chances. Plenty of jackings and shootings happen during the day too. Gas station owners should call the DPD when people hang around pumping stations for no apparent reason. If there are no sporting events or anyone in the dog park, they might show up.
    There are plenty of safe places elsewhere to buy gas. Chief needs to deploy armed decoys [[with cameras so nobody gets roughed up or mistreated) and end this shit.

I can't remember where I read it, or what city it was in [[probably Europe). But I recall reading about a pilot program somewhere to curb crime at gas stations and convenience stores. The idea was really simple: stores encouraged cabbies to park at their lots at night between fares. Some signs are made announcing that cabbies are parking at the store at night to watch and report on crime. From what I remember [[and, again, I can't find the article now), even just this mild increase in presence had a meaningful deterrent effect.

Kind of like how a random-ass car with a flashing yellow light on top signifies "oh you're good here."

I also heard of places playing classical music [[versus the Rock, Pop and Rap crap you hear now) outside of their establishment to deter loiterers.

Freep also posted some numbers of carjackings from last year. Most of them occur between 9 pm and 3 am.

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/c...ings/28175951/

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    There are plenty of safe places elsewhere to buy gas. Chief needs to deploy armed decoys [[with cameras so nobody gets roughed up or mistreated) and end this shit.
    Great idea! We could call it S.T.R.E.S.S. - Let me know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    And this is why the problem will never get fixed. We would rather have carjackers run the city than deal with the problem. Let me know how THAT works out.

Great post! Just because one group of ass-clowns did something years ago, we should eliminate all patrols and accountability. Well we did, so how's that working out for YOU?

Been filling up my car in the city at least once a week for well over 30 years, in every area you can think of. This is always during the day, hardly ever at night. Other then somebody panhandling or offering to pump my gas, I've never had a hint of a problem [[knock on wood) I've also never seen anyone else have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Great post! Just because one group of ass-clowns did something years ago, we should eliminate all patrols and accountability. Well we did, so how's that working out for YOU?
    Didn't say anything about "eliminating all patrols and accountability" - Just pointing out the track record of undercover "decoy" units.
    BTW, when did "eliminating all patrols" happen? - I must have missed the teletype on that one.
    Anyhow, have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Been filling up my car in the city at least once a week for well over 30 years, in every area you can think of. This is always during the day, hardly ever at night. Other then somebody panhandling or offering to pump my gas, I've never had a hint of a problem [[knock on wood) I've also never seen anyone else have any problems.
    Good for you?

Didn't say anything about "eliminating all patrols and accountability" - Just pointing out the track record of undercover "decoy" units.
    BTW, when did "eliminating all patrols" happen? - I must have missed the teletype on that one.
    Anyhow, have a nice day.
    You too! Hope you make a few bucks today pumping gas or selling Bridgecards.

^^^^^^ lol

"Never argue with a fool, bystanders won't be able to tell you apart."

I've never been robbed, but had an obviously drugged-out woman try to open my passenger side door and get in from my declining to give her a ride [[to who knows where!). 'No', was just not good enough, apparently. But I was fast on the 'lock' button and kept her out. She seemed more of a nuisance then a car jacker, but I wasn't going to give full access to clarify her motives.

I've seen full drug transactions at gas stations. A few years back my debit card was stolen and 'hocked' at several gas stations for about an hour until my banked texted me, cancelled card and thankfully refunded about $185+ of gas transactions. They flagged the card when they saw gas purchases every 10 or 15 minutes $30-40+ a pop. Who runs out of gas that fast?! I decline persons coming up to me to sell the use of a debit card for discount gas fill. No thank you. Uh, you play, you pay, eventually.

Be vigilant and watch your environment and scan your immediate surroundings. I see folks on their cell phones at gas stations, ATM machines -- oblivious to everything.

Last edited by Zacha341; May-31-15 at 07:47 AM.

"Never argue with a fool, bystanders won't be able to tell you apart."
    Thanx, I'll remember that......

I haven't had any issues either, but I don't daydream or surf on my phone while pumping gas as some do. I also have plan A and plan B if something goes down.