Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Third Meijer to Open in Detroit?

"Meijer Inc. is searching for a location for a third possible Detroit store on the lower east side.Two sources said the Grand Rapids-based retailer is looking between I-375 and Grosse Pointe Park.

A voicemail seeking comment was left with the Meijer public relations department Thursday morning.

The company opened its first store in Detroit two years ago as part of the Gateway Marketplace development at Eight Mile Road and Woodward Avenue. The supercenter represented $20 million of the $72 million development."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-detroit-store

Please, oh please be on the eastside...

EDIT: Just saw the article. Woo hoo!!!

Gut feeling is that they'll either end up at the old Uniroyal Site or St. Jean & Jefferson.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-29-15 at 05:20 PM.

It would be nice if they urbanized their locale on the lower eastside. Jefferson corridor is much different than 8 Mile and Woodward or upper Grand River corridor where suburban develop is excusable for the most part. I would hope that the building is street fronting with limited parking and hidden. But this is Detroit and anything decent is a pipedream...

I remember working on a Sketchup thingie that had a Meijer on the lower southeast side, gotta find that.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It would be nice if they urbanized their locale on the lower eastside. Jefferson corridor is much different than 8 Mile and Woodward or upper Grand River corridor where suburban develop is excusable for the most part. I would hope that the building is street fronting with limited parking and hidden. But this is Detroit and anything decent is a pipedream...
    There are a few suburban style strip malls already scattered on Jefferson and we all know there is plenty of readily available space to work with. As for Jefferson being different from 8 Mile and Woodward, I would agree but probably not for the same reasons. Sure Jefferson is busy during rush hour but it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the constant traffic of 8 Mile or the demographics to justify some compact, urban store.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    There are a few suburban style strip malls already scattered on Jefferson and we all know there is plenty of readily available space to work with. As for Jefferson being different from 8 Mile and Woodward, I would agree but probably not for the same reasons. Sure Jefferson is busy during rush hour but it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the constant traffic of 8 Mile or the demographics to justify some compact, urban store.
    And that's the story we've been sold, that we can't change it. Just because there's already suburban strip malls along Jefferson doesn't mean we shouldn't curb any more of that development. As for the latter part of your comment, if it doesn't have the constant traffic then it doesn't justify a compact, urban store or a suburban sprawl store.

It is quite interesting that after not entering the Detroit market previously, Meijer has quite quickly gone from one store to building a second and considering a third. It certainly is evidence of the ability to make money in the city, and that its an under-served market.

And that's the story we've been sold, that we can't change it. Just because there's already suburban strip malls along Jefferson doesn't mean we shouldn't curb any more of that development. As for the latter part of your comment, if it doesn't have the constant traffic then it doesn't justify a compact, urban store or a suburban sprawl store.
    I haven't been sold any story I'm just telling you the way things appear to me. As for the latter part of my comment I think the sales job will be the burden of those who want a retailer to put some compact, nonstandard store where it isn't justified or necessary.

Only a fool would say you cant make money with a grocery store in Detroit. It was more was it worth the hassle for the money they would make. Meijer has found a way that suits them. I have noticed the 8 mile store is not 24hrs and is a single entrance and exit store unlike suburban stores with multiple entrance and exits. Not sure on the west side store as I am an eastsider.

Actually along Jefferson the only sites that are big enough for a typical Meijer are the uniroyal site, some empty land by connor, and some land about a half a mile west of grosse pointe. There are also a few areas where they could assemble the land but I really don't think meijer wants to do that.

The land by connor is about halfway from the pointes to downtown which is probably desirable for them, and it's also not directly adjacent to blighted areas.

I want the uniroyal site to be a large family oriented urban development.

There are strip malls west of the uniroyal site but they're all very small. They're too small for the store itself, let alone the parking. They need a site about the size of comerica park. I think it's likely that whatever site they pick on Jefferson it's going to be compact by meijer standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerojoe View Post
    Only a fool would say you cant make money with a grocery store in Detroit. It was more was it worth the hassle for the money they would make. Meijer has found a way that suits them. I have noticed the 8 mile store is not 24hrs and is a single entrance and exit store unlike suburban stores with multiple entrance and exits. Not sure on the west side store as I am an eastsider.
    From an aerial image taken last month, it appears that the Old Redford store will also have a single door.

wait until some more of the housing is built in the planned redeveloped areas along east Jefferson.

I had always said on this site that a Meijer or a Wal-mart would fit perfectly in the Jefferson Village strip mall. Parkway was awarded that spot. Meijer would do good at the Uniroyal site that's if the land is not contaminated. Another spot that will be good for Meijer is Gratiot and E Vernor former site of Joe Muers. Hyde Park, Lafayette Park, and Eastern Market residential lofts vould support a Meijers

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had always said on this site that a Meijer or a Wal-mart would fit perfectly in the Jefferson Village strip mall. Parkway was awarded that spot.
    Well don't forget all of the vacant land between Conner and St. Jean [[specifically west of Lycaste). IT was rumored before, about 10 years ago, that both Home Depot and Meijer were considering that land for stores.

The only thing on that entire stretch of vacant land that's still landing is an abandoned Auto Repair ship.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well don't forget all of the vacant land between Conner and St. Jean [[specifically west of Lycaste). IT was rumored before, about 10 years ago, that both Home Depot and Meijer were considering that land for stores.

The only thing on that entire stretch of vacant land that's still landing is an abandoned Auto Repair ship.
    Y
    You are right

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Please, oh please be on the eastside...

EDIT: Just saw the article. Woo hoo!!!

Gut feeling is that they'll either end up at the old Uniroyal Site or St. Jean & Jefferson.
    Folks for Meijer Corp. are not going to put their superstore there. The traffic is light. They are going to put it an a place when its more traffic. From near Gilberttown Detroit along the I-375 corridor. I should say near the former Brewster Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Folks for Meijer Corp. are not going to put their superstore there. The traffic is light. They are going to put it an a place when its more traffic. From near Gilberttown Detroit along the I-375 corridor. I should say near the former Brewster Projects.
    I suppose you missed the parts in the article where it said "Lower East Side" [[I wouldn't consider the Brewter Project "Lower East Side") and BETWEEN I-375 and GPP...

BTW, besides traffic volume, I'm sure Meijer is also banking on seeing some demand induced from other parts of the east side and Grosse Pointe [[that are relatively undeserved and too far away from the Roseville/Warren/ 8 mile & Woodward stores).

I'm in NE Detroit, but I would be more than willing to shop at a Meijer on Jefferson and St. Jean [[Versus going out to the suburbs).
    Last edited by 313WX; May-31-15 at 05:03 PM.

Just a note that the Grand River/6 Mile Meijers, serving Rosedale Park and Grandmont , opens on Sunday, June 14.

Anyone old enough or enough of a West Michigander to remember "Thrifty"? He's been retired for quite some time.

Name:  meijer.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  26.7 KB

I think Thrifty may've lasted well into the 70's, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, do any of you remember back when Meijer had children's playplaces right in the middle of the store in the 70's and early 80's? The one in Taylor had one when it first opened. They were all decked out in the earthtone patterns that were typical of that era. I believe I heard somewhere that some sort of incident prompted their removal.

And one last thing-found that Sketchup store. I've placed it at Jefferson and Conner. I also worked on placing one at that huge vacant lot at Grand River and Canfield.

I think land assembly will be major problem on the East Jefferson corridor; the strip center by St. Jean would have been perfect but has been successful at drawing new tenants.

Are you at all familiar with the Old Redford neighborhood and the relatively intact 1920's and 30's era commercial district that the new Meijer's is adjacent to? It would have been totally justifiable to build an "urbanized" Meijer's store in Old Redford. Maybe the store's facade could have mimicked the Art Deco accents of the Redford High School that it replaced. Instead, there is a big Meijer's gas station and a huge parking lot behind it.

Redford Theatre
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lets not forget about the thousands of employees at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant that would LOVE to grab a quick bite to eat during lunchbreak or do some grocery shopping after work. Those guys live all over Southeast Michigan.

Parkway just doesn't "cut it".

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Are you at all familiar with the Old Redford neighborhood and the relatively intact 1920's and 30's era commercial district that the new Meijer's is adjacent to? It would have been totally justifiable to build an "urbanized" Meijer's store in Old Redford. Maybe the store's facade could have mimicked the Art Deco accents of the Redford High School that it replaced. Instead, there is a big Meijer's gas station and a huge parking lot behind it.

Redford Theatre
    I wish all the Meijer's in Detroit were street front-ed with parking in the back, but I can understand why those two were built like that; because they were built out of the inner city where there was more land to put the store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast