Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Strangest Accident-Jeep Versus Train 05/28/15

I have taken that little one-way street just east of St. Jean off Jefferson over to Kercheval ever since my old landlord showed me his favorite shortcut a while ago...and this evening, headed downtown, I turned the corner at the AT&T switching station to find a crazy accident scene.

A Jeep Liberty was upside-down, with the side smashed...a few Detroit police cars nearly blocked the street...and a single train engine sat halfway across the intersection.

I can only imagine the scenario...in all the time I've driven this, I've never seen any train traffic south of the factory...but I have noticed the factory workers taking a shortcut driving the WRONG WAY across those train tracks to their gate. Ever since the city took away that stoplight on Jefferson, the traffic into the plant can back up, and if someone was already on the skids for being late too often...let's just say I've witnessed some seriously questionable races into that gate.

I didn't check to see if the warning lights face in the opposite direction...that'll be on tomorrow's list.

Took a picture with my gal's smartphone, if I can figure out how to get it uploaded I'll show you the whole scene. Hope the driver of that Jeep is OK. Probably the best excuse they've had yet.
    Last edited by Gannon; May-28-15 at 07:16 PM.

So you're saying that they go the wrong way on Kerchaval over the tracks?!?

Here's a Google Map Street View of it: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3698...IrPhgwREWA!2e0

It does seem to have lights for the wrong-way too...

Yeah, I've seen it a dozen times or more. Like I said, I drive this little stretch and turn often.

I'm not a big fan of the timing of the lights on Jefferson.

If I remember correctly, the passenger side was hit. The train engine was almost across the road. The Jeep was on the same side of the street, so I assume the engine was headed northbound...and the momentum of the roll and side of impact seemed to indicate the driver was headed east, against the one-way signs.

Trains have better brakes when they aren't pulling a load, apparently. I just wonder how fast he was going...and if the lights worked. They were flashing in the westbound direction.
    Last edited by Gannon; May-28-15 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Yeah, I've seen it a dozen times or more. Like I said, I drive this little stretch and turn often.

I'm not a big fan of the timing of the lights on Jefferson.

If I remember correctly, the passenger side was hit. The train engine was almost across the road. The Jeep was on the same side of the street, so I assume the engine was headed northbound...and the momentum of the roll and side of impact seemed to indicate the driver was headed east, against the one-way signs.

Trains have better brakes when they aren't pulling a load, apparently. I just wonder how fast he was going...and if the lights worked. They were flashing in the westbound direction.

The train has the right of way regardless whether lights are working. Look both ways...avoid Darwin Award.

There was actually some media coverage about this! Got our confirmation about the wrong-way driver...and every one I've seen there works in the plant.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...side/28118897/

I saw the locomotive south of Jefferson yesterday morning, pulling one box car north, so they do serve the industry in that side of the avenue occasionally. They don't have to go fast to create a lot of damage. It's the momentum that matters. Mass times velocity. A six-axle locomotive probably weighs 200+ tons, versus a two ton SUV.

Derail: why the ceremony at the new CBP post on Jefferson, next to the tracks? Party tent set up and a nice, shiny helo parked there when I drove past.

Wow, I wonder what the odds are? In the last 20 years I don't remember seeing a single train on that stretch of track. I'll bet the driver just figured the signals were going off in error and flew across there in his rush to the Chrysler gate.

Years ago, those tracks used to be busy with deliveries to Detroit Edison. I remember as a kid sitting on Freud waiting for the trains to clear on the way to/from some relative's house or another. But now the tracks just peter out on DTE property on the south side of Freud. However, a careful look at the Google satellite view does show what looks like a pumping station for tank cars, and a couple of actual tank cars at it, at the end of a driveway off Lycaste south of Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I saw the locomotive south of Jefferson yesterday morning, pulling one box car north, so they do serve the industry in that side of the avenue occasionally. They don't have to go fast to create a lot of damage. It's the momentum that matters. Mass times velocity. A six-axle locomotive probably weighs 200+ tons, versus a two ton SUV.

Derail: why the ceremony at the new CBP post on Jefferson, next to the tracks? Party tent set up and a nice, shiny helo parked there when I drove past.
    Right on, but it DID have to be moving fast enough to catch this little Jeep's driver unaware!

I saw that celebration at the new Homeland Security/Immigration location...it must've been a dedication of the new building. I didn't see any smiling new citizens...it seemed all uniforms and a few suits.

They sure blocked that sidewalk for a while after it was done, though! All the pretty vehicles...but I totally missed the helicopter...they must've been hiding that old pickemup truck with the FLIR out back, though!
    Last edited by Gannon; May-29-15 at 09:40 PM.

^^^ I thought I saw a parked helicopter off Jefferson eh, yesterday!