Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Discussion Of Buildings Which Could Be Renovated Near The New Arena/Masonic

Found this article which has a nice listing [[with photos and ownership info) of vacant apartment or hotel buildings in the Cass corridor.

Lot of buildings which have potential and would breathe life into the Masonic Temple area given their location [[e.g., on Temple between Woodward and Cass or nearly adjacent to the Masonic).

Once the arena is nearly done, the next thing should be to redevelop Temple and also develop Cass on the western edge of the arena site. That area should become a more habitable area.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2015/0...tments-hotels/
    Last edited by emu steve; May-27-15 at 07:38 AM.

Gee, I hate to respond to my post, but... Tying some thoughts together:

I think we have a tendency to look at each housing separately, kind of like 'silo' thinking, but we are talking about a lot of small housing markets to absorb housing units: Downtown, near Comerica Park, near the new arena, Brush Park, and the current and future rehabs between the arena and Wayne State's campus.

My guestion [[s): Are there even developers and renters to absorb housing in say 12, 18, or 24 buildings?

Or is it 'competitive': If 300 [[or 600 or whatever) housing units are built in Brush Park will a building in Midtown not get redeveloped as the 'money and renters' are going to Brush Park?

I think that article dramatically understates how much real estate is controlled by Illich.

There's pretty much one maintenance crew doing all the snow / grass / graffiti work. Maybe the the same crew works for multiple property owners. But I think it's more likely that multiple holding companies are owned by one family.