Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default St. Patrick's Parish Closed

It is sad to see another parish within the city limits closing up. However, the Senior Center and all Sr. Mary has been actively doing there still remains in operation.

Remember the Irish Festival the 28th of June! Even if you are not Irish, please, throw a little support there way.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...sing/27814551/

Note that the Archdiocese is not divesting the building in the hopes that the neighborhood could support a parish in the not too distant future.

Obviously, fairly disappointing that there was not a sufficiently large congregation, at least in the bishop's view, under the present circumstances of the neighborhood [[there aren't any other parishes inside of the freeways between the Fisher and '94, except for St. Josaphat, right on the Chrysler).

So has the building been scrapped yet?

.....uh...I see no indication that anyone ever talked of demolition, unless that is the sick fantasy of some intolerant, boohz-wah, affluent Know-Nothing. If you mean "scrapped" as in gutted and resold for architectural trappings, I can not say. I see Detroit more likely to recycle it's churches for other religions or for those looking to open some "academy". At least we don't turn them into condo-space living like one certain New England city.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Note that the Archdiocese is not divesting the building in the hopes that the neighborhood could support a parish in the not too distant future.

Obviously, fairly disappointing that there was not a sufficiently large congregation, at least in the bishop's view, under the present circumstances of the neighborhood [[there aren't any other parishes inside of the freeways between the Fisher and '94, except for St. Josaphat, right on the Chrysler).
    Sacred Heart isn't too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    .....uh...I see no indication that anyone ever talked of demolition, unless that is the sick fantasy of some intolerant, boohz-wah, affluent Know-Nothing. If you mean "scrapped" as in gutted and resold for architectural trappings, I can not say. I see Detroit more likely to recycle it's churches for other religions or for those looking to open some "academy". At least we don't turn them into condo-space living like one certain New England city.
    I meant scrapped as in broken into and destroyed like other vacant buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    I meant scrapped as in broken into and destroyed like other vacant buildings.
    . Given the constant activity around the area [[with the center and the Hall), hopefully, I pray that will not be the case.

... what about apartments? What about a homeless shelter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

Holy Rosary is right at Woodard and I-94 service drive.

I had no idea that the original St. Patrick's was located on Adelaide between John R and Woodward and that it was a cathedral for a time for the Archdiocese of Detroit. But like most of Detroit, it was left to rot then burned.

http://historicdetroit.org/building/...tholic-church/

This really bugs me. What I would give for one day in Detroit pre-1970s.

I think it would be interesting to know the total square feet of derelict buildings in Detroit that the diocese abandoned... or that any religious organization abandoned. I would bet that collection "faith based" orgs are up near Maroun in slumlording.

That I know of, the AoD did not ever "abandon" a church or building. However, about 20 years ago, the AoD did have an initiative to sell the churches of closed parishes to other Christian congregations in the city for a very low amount -VERY low amounts - to hopefully allow those congregations to establish themselves in beautiful surroundings. That sometimes worked, but more often THOSE congregations eventually abandoned their purchases. As of now, the AoD will only sell to churches that can demonstrate viability. As well, the AoD will sell a building for a "profane" use [[condos, etc) where it would not previously.
    St. Stanislaus is a very good example of a now-derelict church that was abandoned by it's second congregation. St. Monica is another. St. Cyril is a good example. In the case of St. Rita, the AoD had 24-7 security pending a sale, but the plant is so big that the stripping was uncontrollable. Eventually the AoD sold that huge plant for pennies. Not sure what shape it is in now.

And, bailey, I am confident that when you tour around the City and you see any operating catholic Church, the property will stand out from the neighborhood many times because it is so beautifully kept.

look at Assumption Grotto with its manicured grounds and beautiful plantings in the 7 Mile Gratiot neighborhood. Look at Nativity. look at St. Charles, look at the Monastery and the Cathedral; at Holy Redeemer and St. Francis and St. Hedwig. The Catholic Churches of the AoD are all oasis in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    That I know of, the AoD did not ever "abandon" a church or building. However, about 20 years ago, the AoD did have an initiative to sell the churches of closed parishes to other Christian congregations in the city for a very low amount -VERY low amounts - to hopefully allow those congregations to establish themselves in beautiful surroundings. That sometimes worked, but more often THOSE congregations eventually abandoned their purchases. As of now, the AoD will only sell to churches that can demonstrate viability. As well, the AoD will sell a building for a "profane" use [[condos, etc) where it would not previously.
    St. Stanislaus is a very good example of a now-derelict church that was abandoned by it's second congregation. St. Monica is another. St. Cyril is a good example. In the case of St. Rita, the AoD had 24-7 security pending a sale, but the plant is so big that the stripping was uncontrollable. Eventually the AoD sold that huge plant for pennies. Not sure what shape it is in now.
    Never been to St. Monica's Church but I knew the pastor, Father Clark, whom I believe was there at the time of his death in 1995 [[I think).

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I had no idea that the original St. Patrick's was located on Adelaide between John R and Woodward and that it was a cathedral for a time for the Archdiocese of Detroit. But like most of Detroit, it was left to rot then burned.

http://historicdetroit.org/building/...tholic-church/

This really bugs me. What I would give for one day in Detroit pre-1970s.
    That church sat empty and forebodingly mouldering for an awful long time. I was in there a couple of times in the late '70s with some partying junkies I knew and the place was spooky as hell. It was yet another casualty of the city's takeover of, and killing off of, the ill-fated Woodward East project, which kicked off the willful neglect and destruction of Brush Park.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-16-15 at 01:35 PM.

While I would say that technically they didn't abandon the churches they built, they sure didn't try to keep tabs on them after they passed them off. Instead, after a century or so of building churches that could rival European masterpieces, they followed the money to the suburbs and for the most part, built mid to late 20th century blahness.

do you keep tabs on what you've sold?

I didn't build an intricate and ornate work of revival architecture only to sell it 40-60 years later. The church should have been more careful selling off these churches from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I didn't build an intricate and ornate work of revival architecture only to sell it 40-60 years later. The church should have been more careful selling off these churches from the beginning.
    Pales in comparison to DPS lack of stewardship for its buildings.

No, but I don't get subsidized by the taxpayer to build my large and extravagantly appointed house... then get more subsidy to abandon those I'm claiming to be servicing, move to more pleasant pastures, and salt the earth behind me when I sell my house for peanuts to Reverend Doctor Bishop The Almighty Muckity Muck Jones' Church of the Everlasting Grift who is also being subsidized by the taxpayer but has no where near the means to afford the upkeep.

The church is every bit as responsible for the destruction and abandonment of the neighborhoods in Detroit as any other entity that pulled up stakes and moved north of 8mile.
    Last edited by bailey; July-17-15 at 09:56 AM.

How exactly does the tax subsidy to build a large ornate Catholic Church 100 years ago work? Were those buildings HOUSES? Please describe the schematics.
    Likewise, is there any tax subsidy for Catholic schools?