Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default RIP Marcus Belgrave

Detroit jazz trumpet legend Marcus Belgrave dies at 78

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...rave/27878711/

Jazz trumpeter Marcus Belgrave, veteran of Ray Charles' band and Motown classics...

http://www.usnews.com/news/entertain...ave-dies-at-78
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-25-15 at 02:46 AM.

This is sad. Just caught him last year playing the jazz fest doing a tribute to Louis Armstrong. No doubt he deserves a loving tribute this year. More great representatives of a rare art form departing this Earth to a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    This is sad. Just caught him last year playing the jazz fest doing a tribute to Louis Armstrong. No doubt he deserves a loving tribute this year. More great representatives of a rare art form departing this Earth to a better place.
    Isn't it ironic that he and Orthea Barnes did within days of each other?

Such very sad news. I was traveling in NYC when I caught this news, and even there Marcus had his influence [[in fact, NYC radio station WKCR is having a "Marcus Belgrave Memorial Broadcast all day today - available online).

It's really hard to overstate how much Marcus WAS jazz in Detroit from the mid-70s up to his death. Of course, many many people were involved in keeping the jazz scene going here, but almost always Marcus was involved in some way in whatever was happening. My earliest memories of Marcus are as a teen in Detroit [[in the days of his involvement in the groundbreaking Tribe and Strata projects). I vividly recall seeing him looking all hip in beard, sunglasses, and 3 piece pinstripe, like a super-slick gnome, playing into the late nights at the semi-sketchy and wonderful Cobb's Corner at Cass and Willis.

Marcus was one guy there who was always willing to talk to some young fans, and engage them with some fun stories, insights, and friendly advice. However, my music-playing friends who were taught/mentored, or even just observed, by him knew first hand that he didn't mess around. The music was serious and you had to get it right. And, as his many disciples out playing and teaching professionally today stand to testify, his methods and his living example were quite effective.

The last time I saw Marcus was last Labor Day at the jazz fest in Hart Plaza. His breathing problems had clearly gotten much worse, but even with diminished breath he still played well and was the soul of joy in person, as usual. I said to him "you just keep on keepin' on Marcus" to which he replied, gesturing to the oxygen tanks he was pulling around on a little cart, "yeah, but now I'm rollin' on". He played a very moving part in the closing number of the festival's civil rights tribute, roaring beautifully through "Let it Shine".

Mark Stryker wrote a wonderful, insightful and sweet, piece for the Free Press on Marcus' passing that I just read this morning. And posted a great list of videos as well.

Damn, he will be missed.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-26-15 at 11:02 AM.

First, condolences to his family and close friends.
    My favorite memories are of his performances at Cobb's Corner, mentioned above. A little bit of Detroit is gone and will never return. Sad.

Great jazzman. R.I.P

Cobbs Corner! That's a blast from the past. Read poetry there many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    First, condolences to his family and close friends.
    My favorite memories are of his performances at Cobb's Corner, mentioned above. A little bit of Detroit is gone and will never return. Sad.

Another great loss to the community.

http://www.jazzonthetube.com/page/28382.html

Remembering Marcus Belgrave