Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

1. Default Massive tanker explosion closes I-75, I-375 ramp

Just spotted this. So if you are going to the game or electronic music festival....

"MDOT spokeswoman Diane Cross said the massive tanker explosion has shut down both sides of I-75 at I-375. Cross said M-10 to I-75 will also be shut down shortly.

Cross said traffic on I-75 has come to a halt as police and emergency crews attempt to put out the fire.

Michigan State Police First Lt. Michael Shaw said the driver was able to escape the explosion with no injuries."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015...roit/27879251/

Right smack dab on the bridge where I-75 turns into.......I-75. This has potential to suck for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Right smack dab on the bridge where I-75 turns into.......I-75. This has potential to suck for a long while.
    Or it could be a good test case for closing that freeway in favor of permanent routing of 75 traffic up to 96/94.

I hope everyone survived. At least Monday is a holiday, maybe they can get it all fixed up for Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Or it could be a good test case for closing that freeway in favor of permanent routing of 75 traffic up to 96/94.
    It took 'em 30 years to make Second and Third Streets two-way. I don't see this happening, ever perhaps, because of its direct link to the lower east side. Now I-375 going away in our lifetime is a possibility.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Well considering the I-94 connector to I-75 northbound is currently closed, I don't think that's going to work. Fortunately I'm in the habit lately of taking the Lodge => Davison => I-75 lately to avoid the construction at Woodward, so this won't affect my commute too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaho View Post
    Well considering the I-94 connector to I-75 northbound is currently closed, I don't think that's going to work. Fortunately I'm in the habit lately of taking the Lodge => Davison => I-75 lately to avoid the construction at Woodward, so this won't affect my commute too much.
    It will when all that extra traffic is queued up for miles trying to go Lodge - Davison - 75.

I'm getting on at Madison today, expecting that:
    - I'm going to fly all the way up to the Davison
    - The Davison will be dumping traffic onto I-75, but will be limited by the ability of big trucks to go up and back down those high ramps.

I expect my Downtown Detroit -> Rochester Hills commute to be vastly improved :-)
    I expect the Lodge from the river to the Davison to be a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    It will when all that extra traffic is queued up for miles trying to go Lodge - Davison - 75.I'm getting on at Madison today, expecting that:- I'm going to fly all the way up to the Davison- The Davison will be dumping traffic onto I-75, but will be limited by the ability of big trucks to go up and back down those high ramps.I expect my Downtown Detroit -> Rochester Hills commute to be vastly improved :-)I expect the Lodge from the river to the Davison to be a nightmare.
    It actually wasn't that bad this morning. There was a bit of backup on I-75 northbound starting around Vernor, but once I got into the side lanes going to the Lodge it moved pretty fast, as most of the traffic was going to the to the SB Lodge. There was also a bit more traffic going from Davison to I-75 but not as much as I was expecting. The NB Lodge itself was the same as any other weekday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaho View Post
    It actually wasn't that bad this morning. There was a bit of backup on I-75 northbound starting around Vernor, but once I got into the side lanes going to the Lodge it moved pretty fast, as most of the traffic was going to the to the SB Lodge. There was also a bit more traffic going from Davison to I-75 but not as much as I was expecting. The NB Lodge itself was the same as any other weekday morning.
    I assumed you'd be heading NB in the PM rush hour, I predict hell then for NB lodge folks. I'll get the verdict from my co-workers tomorrow morning :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I assumed you'd be heading NB in the PM rush hour, I predict hell then for NB lodge folks. I'll get the verdict from my co-workers tomorrow morning :-)
    I took the same route back home today so I could check out the traffic. The NB Lodge wasn't too bad, but the stretch of the Davison between the Lodge and I-75 was a parking lot.

NB I-75 gets bogged down just after Clark now, as people cram and crush at the last minute to get over to that left-hand I-96 exit...IF they saw the signs for the detour. If they didn't, they continue speeding through that area like crazy. Folks just don't slow down when the limit changes after the Rouge bridge.

I was not a minute behind a very nasty rear-end collision this afternoon through there. Looked like some young yahoo driving his little pickemup truck WAY too fast ruined some family's vacation. Luckily, they were driving a Volvo sedan, which seemed to take the brunt of the >50mph impact.

The road reports over the past few days have been crazy.