Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Mike Babcock is leaving the Red Wings for Toronto.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...ding/27643321/

He had a good run with the Wings. Sorry to see him go.

If you are going to leave Hockeytown, there aren't many better hockey pastures than Toronto...especially with all that money on the table!

He went for the cash just like any other free agent. Just don't say it's about winning when you go to a team starting from the bottom in a city players can't leave fast enough and free agents refuse to sign with. Hope he enjoys the 50 microphones stuck in his face every day.

I wish the guy good luck. I think it was probably best for both him and the club. It's so rare to see a guy in one place that long, as players seem to tune a coach out after 4-5 years. Now lets see what this hotshot Jeff Blashill is made of. Apparently, he's a hell of a coach as well.

I want a coach who can get us past the first elimination round. That's been lacking for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    He went for the cash just like any other free agent. Just don't say it's about winning when you go to a team starting from the bottom in a city players can't leave fast enough and free agents refuse to sign with. Hope he enjoys the 50 microphones stuck in his face every day.
    Exactly. Anytime they say its "not about the money" you know its about the money. We should put some 67 signs up on the 401 so he can see them on the way there.

Oh Well, It's good bye next year's playoffs! The Red Wings will enter its bad season like the Detroit Pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Oh Well, It's good bye next year's playoffs! The Red Wings will enter its bad season like the Detroit Pistons.
    Danny, are you ever upbeat about ANYTHING?

They got the money up there in Toronto. It's the hotbed of the Hockey world and the team has been absolutely TERRIBLE for a long time. If he can bring that franchise back to life they'll get rid of Rob Ford and elect him mayor [[I know Ford is gone) My point is it's a prestigious job and a great move for him. I also agree that it was time for the Wings to move on. As Brett Farve once said " all good things must come to an end"

That's a lot of money, and the Maple Leafs can go nowhere but up.
    Good luck, Mr. Babcock.

Best of luck to the new guy [[wings coach) who will have to clean-up the mess.....

Who cares?? Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya, Mr Babcock. He played the Sabres like a fiddle to get a better deal with Toronto. Both are sorry franchises anyway, so it's obvious he went for the loot. All that garbage he talked about having established roots here, and how his family loves Detroit, then he bolts.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-22-15 at 03:50 PM.

As much as I like Babcock, 10 years is long enough. He made the right choice, and Ken Holland [[Wings GM) knows he has greatness in Jeff Blashill in Grand Rapids. Derek Lalonde won Coach of the Yeaar for Wings ECHL affiliate Toledo Walleyes. Blashill takes over Red Wings, Lalonde takes over Grand Rapids Griffins.

im excited.

http://youtu.be/rs7DPyOQM_w

http://youtu.be/lX-oQ3rG7yA

Blashill's first day.