Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Man ticketed for driving 153 mph on I-75 in Woodhaven

I guess this 21 year old thinks Michigan roads must be okay.

"A 21-year-old man from Lincoln Park was pulled over Tuesday morning after a Michigan State Police officer clocked him driving at 153 mph.

The man passed the officer about 3 a.m. on northbound Interstate 75 near West Road in Woodhaven.

Authorities say the man was driving an enhanced 2005 Dodge Magnum. He was pulled over in a business parking lot on Eureka Road, arrested and ticketed for reckless driving. He could face jail time."

What's the fastest you ever drove?

5pc7c8

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    90 and I slowed down right quick when I realized it. I have a slight lead foot but I want to get were I'm going alive too.

Got my 1970 Plymouth Duster to 100 for a few seconds just to say I did it. Not too bright when I think how lousy the steering/suspension/brakes was in those days.

126, same area, 84 Corvette, luckily it wasn't "enhanced".

I've always known the top speed of every car I've owned.

By far, the Audi A4 Avant was the best at speed, and I lived out west with it the first few years. Nothin' quite like a high-speed jaunt in the desert. It could cruise at 135 for hours. Oddly, my vision improved after a few minutes at that rate. It was kinda freaky how, when looking directly into the center of view, my periphery would dull while distance focus would greatly increase in a slight tunnel/funnel...not unlike the 'zoom' imagery from that Bagger Vance movie, when he went into 'the Zone'. It was never dangerous, any eye motion would restore the balance...but consistent. And cool. I blame the adrenaline.

The first-year Contour SVT was 10mph faster...Audi speed-limited the A4 for the North American market, likely due the cheaper OEM tires they used...but the steering got light, like a small plane just reaching take-off velocity. Didn't inspire much confidence...but they made you earn every mile over 120. It seemed to take forever to get to its 145 maximum, especially after the rage that stirred from 0 to about 80 in that monster sleeper. Nobody ever knew what that car was...never had a vehicle that drew so much attention at stoplights.

I've been barely over 150 twice, on the same day actually, but in two vehicles. A mid-sized Mercedes and the original Infinity Q45. Same difference, the Merc settled into a contented groove, while the Q felt like it was going to launch with every large undulation on the Interstate.

That said, after a few ply separations and extremely lucky breaks...I'm done with high-speeds. Reformed over the past decade...but I gotta tell you, even through the filter of knowing how lucky I was to survive such abject stupidity...the memories still inspire, and I really yearned to be ON the Gran Prix track as I drove over the MacArthur Bridge this morning. [[while thinking of that Jalopnik chump who crashed a development mule at the Camaro unveiling a few days ago...dude published a picture of himself proving that he doesn't know how to drive...but HE gets to lap the course...damnit)

They should give this guy the standard speeding ticket and a careless citation...bump it up to reckless if there was any traffic at all. Throw the book at him if he had been drinking. Hell, the fine alone from the usual incremental speeding calculation will be punishing...and it would most certainly get him over the twelve-point babysitting trigger at the Secretary of State. I'm guessing he'll be a repeat offender, though.

150 MPH but in a situation carefully planned for safety. That car had no speed limiter. The speedometer topped out at 150.

Don't try to do that without Z-rated racing tires. There's no upper limit on Z-rated tires. With other tires it's not safe.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-20-15 at 09:56 PM.

I did get a ticket in the A4 out west once...117 in a 75...on my way back to Michigan after jogging the SF marathon.

Pretty funny, that speed report elicited a collective gasp when read aloud in the courtroom the next morning.

I never got the chance to tell 'em I was slowing down when the trooper clocked me.

But I DID leave that courtroom, on my own recognizance, with only a $200 fine that I didn't even have to pay until I returned home...after appealing to the judge my basic belief that in the west a fellow aught to be able to ride his pony as fast as he wants when nobody else is around...and the officer had already plead he knew it was me on his radar since there had been no traffic for miles around. I thought the prosecutor was going to have an aneurism.

That was a magical moment...

Where was this guy thinking we were, Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Got my 1970 Plymouth Duster to 100 for a few seconds just to say I did it. Not too bright when I think how lousy the steering/suspension/brakes was in those days.
    My very first car was a 1970 Duster, but I never got it anywhere near 100!

Why do they even sell cars than can go that fast? Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Why do they even sell cars than can go that fast? Insane.
    you're right...no car should be able to legally exceed 15 mph and we all should be required by law to wear 8 layers of bubble wrap at all times.

I was passed by some sort of italian super car thing... i think it was a Zonda, it was weird looking and moving REALLY fast... on a stretch of the Autobahn while I was cruising at about 220 kph [[130-135mph ish)... in a VW Phaeton. I have no idea how fast he was going but I was barely able to get over and out of his way after I saw him flashing his highbeams in my rear view.

Best road sign in the world is this one:
    Last edited by bailey; May-20-15 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    you're right...no car should be able to legally exceed 15 mph and we all should be required by law to wear 8 layers of bubble wrap at all times.

I was passed by some sort of italian super car thing... i think it was a Zonda, it was weird looking and moving REALLY fast... on a stretch of the Autobahn while I was doing 220 kph [[about130-135mph ish)... in a VW Phaeton. I have no idea how fast he was going but I was barely able to get over and out of his way after I saw him flashing his highbeams in my rear view.

Best road sign in the world is this one:
    the beauty of the autobahn is that no matter how fast you're going, you give way to passing traffic when asked with a flash of the lights. No one judges or plays traffic cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    the beauty of the autobahn is that no matter how fast you're going, you give way to passing traffic when asked with a flash of the lights. No one judges or plays traffic cop.
    Exactly. heck, not just there, but most everywhere else the light flash [[and a horn toot) is just a polite way to tell them you'd like to get around them. Here, flash your lights..or god forbid honk... and it's likely to result in a road rage incident.

"A 21-year-old man from Lincoln Park was pulled over Tuesday morning after a Michigan State Police officer clocked him driving at 153 mph.

The man passed the officer about 3 a.m. on northbound Interstate 75 near West Road in Woodhaven.

Authorities say the man was driving an enhanced 2005 Dodge Magnum. He was pulled over in a business parking lot on Eureka Road, arrested and ticketed for reckless driving. He could face jail time."

That stretch of road is really smooth and straight so if you're going to burn off some carbon thats a decent place to do it. At 3am there was probably no other cars either. What's interesting to me is if the cop clocked him near West Rd and got him at Eureka that state patrol car was really moving. I wonder what enhancements it has.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    That stretch of road is really smooth and straight so if you're going to burn off some carbon thats a decent place to do it. At 3am there was probably no other cars either. What's interesting to me is if the cop clocked him near West Rd and got him at Eureka that state patrol car was really moving. I wonder what enhancements it has.
    I hope the guy was a 'geek' and pre-tested the road, mapped out the bad spots, etc. Lol.

If Ray was patrolling on his cycle he would have nabbed him sooner, probably at Sibley Rd.

How reckless was the Trooper? Or was there more than one?

Think about the speed required to overtake a vehicle traveling at that speed. Maybe the guy slowed down?

On the other hand, if the Trooper ever lost sight of the target, the chain of evidence [[so to speak) is lost and the citation is in question.

I was traveling at 250 kph [[155 mph) in an Audi A5 on the German Atuobahn between Munich and Swizterland and had a Mercedes flash his lights to pass.

Gannon: Just for the record a Merc is a Mercury to any car guy around the world.

Back in the mid-70s, I-275 was only finished between Ford Road and Schoolcraft and hardly anyone used it since it didn't really go anywhere yet. I had a Honda CB750F motorcycle geared for highway cruising. One day I got on at the Ford Road ramp and wound it up to redline before each shift. I was in 3rd at the end of the ramp, going about 90. Got up to around 130 somewhere around Joy Road before my preservation instincts took over and I started thinking of all the things that could go wrong [[blown tire, chain failure, etc.). I coasted back down to a sedate 60 the rest of the way. Never had the bike above 85 or 90 after that.

He is an idiot. Why are we giving him this attention?

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Except back in the 60s when a truck and trailer going 28 miles an hour tried to pass a truck and trailer [[not semi) going 25 miles an hour. The massive braking and cussing had to be heard as all the Mercedes, Opels, Citroens, and Volkswagens had to slow down..

I had a 1973 duster, fastest I ever drove was 103 but it was in New mexico and I was driving down a mountain road. When I realized I going that fast I promptly slowed down.

In my 25 years in the DPD, I don't think I ever exceeded 80 or 85 mph, even during the few chases I was involved in. In my private cross-country driving, I set the cruise control at about 2 or 3 MPH under the speed limit and stay in the right lane.

Come to think of it, I could never run very fast, either. Lotta guys got away from me, but who GAF?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    He is an idiot. Why are we giving him this attention?
    An idiot, possibly, probably. Giving him this attention? That is pretty fast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast