Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ideas for a quiet weekend retreat?

I'm trying to put together a weekend retreat, near water, in Michigan. I was thinking of Lake Tawas but didn't realize it was nearly 3 hours away, I guess the last time I went, I wasn't driving so it didn't feel that long. I don't want to drive any longer than 2 hours tops. Considering Frankenmuth or Windsor, but thought I'd ask for some suggestions here because this is where I got the nudge to try Sleeping Bear Dunes years ago. That's become our yearly vacation now.

Must haves -
    Maximum 2 hour drive
    Lakefront or close enough to walk to water [[water is calming, will help get creative juices flowing, lol)
    Wi-fi available
    Safe, as I am traveling alone

Nice to have:
    Balcony
    Continental breakfast
    Kitchenette

Would love Lake Huron or Lake Michigan but those might be too far to drive...

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Crickets...

that's why I ultimately left Detroit, all the stuff I wanted to do often was over two hours away.

Assuming you are starting from Detroit you could get to places on Lake Huron like Port Huron or Port Sanilac in a few hours. I don't have any specific hotel recommendations. Check Trip Advisor.

Point Pelee. Good selection of hotels and B&Bs. Really nice area.

Bed & Breakfast on Harsen's Island? There's a few of them to choose from and it's easily within an hour of anywhere in Detroit. Riverfront on the upper half of the South Channel will provide great sunrises and a front row seat for freighter watching. Not sure about Wifi availability, but I get decent Verizon 4G signals on most spots on the South end of the island.

I will say there are limited activites available on the island without access to a boat, but it's a great place for biking, kayaking, walking and getting away from everything for a while.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-24-15 at 07:48 PM.

i haven't been to lexington in a while but that drive should only be about 1 1/2 hours. Port Austin too but that might be 2 1/2 hours. you can take M-53 [[vandyke) pretty much all the way there.
    Last edited by Maof; May-24-15 at 08:26 PM.

A group I worked with had a retreat at a place called Walden Woods in Hartland. It's around the intersection of M-59 and US-23. Rustic kind of place, on a lake. www.waldenwoods.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    A group I worked with had a retreat at a place called Walden Woods in Hartland. It's around the intersection of M-59 and US-23. Rustic kind of place, on a lake. www.waldenwoods.com.
    We attended some event there years ago. I wouldn't have described it as rustic but maybe there are different areas for different events in the same complex. It seemed more upscale to me, as if they were trying to create a Grand Hotel experience. Definitely a pleasant, peaceful place though.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Jimaz: Perhaps it has changed since I was there...which was about 20 years ago...LOL

Looks like you are both right. They have different facilities, some more rustic than others.

Originally a business retreat visited by such notables as Henry Ford, Thomas Edison and Harvey Firestone, Waldenwoods still offers a special up-north, but close-to-home experience to visitors and members alike. Members can rent anything from a rustic cottage to a luxury villa or enjoy free camping in the 320 campsite campground. There are two lodges to choose from and 10 cottages that sit along Lake Walden’s shore.

How about Irish Hills? Wampler's Lake accommodations comes up with a few ideas on Google.

http://rivercrabbluewaterinn.com/blue-water-inn/
    Have not stayed there, but it gets good Tripadvisor reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Low View Post
    Crickets...

that's why I ultimately left Detroit, all the stuff I wanted to do often was over two hours away.

Philadelphia to Poconos: 2.5 hrs
    New York to Catskills: 3 hrs
    Charlotte to Myrtle Beach: 3.5 hrs
    DC to Rohoboth Beach: 2.5 hrs
    Chicago to Petoskey: 5.5 hrs
    Toronto to Huntsville: 2.5 hrs.
    San Fran to Lake Tahoe: 3.3 hrs
    Detroit to Lexington, MI: 1.5 hrs
    Detroit to Irish Hills: 1.5 hrs.
    Detroit to Petoskey: 4 hrs.
    Detroit to Saugatuck: 2hr50.

I would say Boston is an exception, being 2 to less than 2 from the Cape. Philly also has proximity but if you want to go to the Jesery Shore. But most Americans have to do a bit of driving to get to their favorite summer spot.