Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Airbag recall - wedge issue?

This is not a rhetorical question: is it actually possible that Michigan's congressional delegation could use this airbag fiasco as leverage to get some vital safety equipment made Michigan? http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...call/27587143/

Many of these components are already manufactured here.

Deadly safety devices. Now there's some world-class irony right there.

I remember when airbags were first introduced to the public. Most people thought "Wait. What? You're going to ignite an explosive device in someone's face but call it a safety device?!" Eventually everyone bought into the idea anyway and now here we are today with this situation.

It's humor and tragedy all bundled up into a tight little package — that explodes in your face!
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-19-15 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

I remember when airbags were first introduced to the public. Most people thought "Wait. What? You're going to ignite an explosive device in someone's face and call it a safety device?!" Eventually everyone bought into the idea anyway and now here we are today with this situation.

It's humor and tragedy all bundled up into a tight little package — that explodes in your face!
    It's a lot of energy to stop an accelerating object [[a person) in an accident. Any defect is critical. But airbags have saved many, many thousands of lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

I remember when airbags were first introduced to the public. Most people thought "Wait. What? You're going to ignite an explosive device in someone's face and call it a safety device?!" Eventually everyone bought into the idea anyway and now here we are today with this situation.

It doesn't "explode in your face", it inflates.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Many of these components are already manufactured here.
    True. In fact, because of Takata's troubles, Visteon, based in MI has seen sales increase in it's air bag division.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It doesn't "explode in your face", it inflates.
    Most airbags use a compound called sodium azide to inflate. It does, technically, explode. It rapidly reduces to flaming chunks of sodium and scalding hot nitrogen [[LOTS of nitrogen, which is why it's great at inflating airbags) To inflate the largest
    you need a slug about the size of a quarter.

It's an incredibly nasty compound but it does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    True. In fact, because of Takata's troubles, Visteon, based in MI has seen sales increase in it's air bag division.
    Airbag components have been made here since long before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Airbag components have been made here since long before that.
    Most of the plants are in Mexico. Not here. I have friends that work for these companies and they are always traveling to plants in Mexico and China.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Most of the plants are in Mexico. Not here. I have friends that work for these companies and they are always traveling to plants in Mexico and China.
    Can I disable my airbag? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Most airbags use a compound called sodium azide to inflate. It does, technically, explode. It rapidly reduces to flaming chunks of sodium and scalding hot nitrogen [[LOTS of nitrogen, which is why it's great at inflating airbags) To inflate the largest

From the Free Press: The unsolved mystery of the exploding air bags
    It's also unclear whether the replacement air bag systems are safer. That's because they use the same volatile chemical to inflate the bags, ammonium nitrate, that some suspect is at the heart of the problem. Other air bag manufacturers use less-volatile chemicals, but they cost more.
    I suspect the expense of the recent bad publicity will influence future expense projections.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post

The reason for the "shrapnel", in Takata's case, is not the propellant but the container it's in. What' s happening is the metal used in making the cartridge is being eroded by the propellant, weakening it. When it's discharged, instead of a controlled discharge, the cartridge explodes, sending shrapnel flying, and injuring or killing the people it was meant to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    There is a huge facility in Utah. Many others in the US I could name. With six or eight airbags per car the volumes are huge.