Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'll drink to that, "bring us a shot and a beer, and turn the TV set on, will ya? The game's on....."

Here's to our teams' relative success in the series...

Howe
    to Bridge
    the
    GAP!
    ----------------------------------
    It's Howe dy Duty
    Time!
    -----------------------------------
    Howe Ya
    doing
    A?
    ------------------------------------

Good name , Good Choice

I love the directions for someone in Ontario to take the "Herbie" to the "Howie" to get "over there".

They should name the holding cells at customs after Bob Probert.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    He was an iconic figure.
    McNamara was an iconic scumbag

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    They should name the holding cells at customs after Bob Probert.
    Ha ha ha. Best yet of many great humor bits on this thread. Took the Herbie to the Howie and ended up in the Probie.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I'm sure it'll be called "The Gordie" by everyone. Love it.
    Hopefully it won't be the Galloping Gordie.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    With all due respect to Mr Howe, I believe they should have named it something else.
    The Rob Ford/Kwame Kilpatrick Friendship Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The Rob Ford/Kwame Kilpatrick Friendship Bridge?
    The In Your Eye With A Whip Cream Pie, Matty, International Crossing?

How about "A Bridge Twofer"? As in 2 countries at either end...Great deal!

Since Canada is putting up the money for the bridge and our customs plaza, we should graciously except any name they choose. So be happy with The Justin Bieber Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Since Canada is putting up the money for the bridge and our customs plaza, we should graciously except any name they choose. So be happy with The Justin Bieber Bridge.
    Cough, cough, ahem, well then, the Gordie Howe International Trade Crossing it is......

They should've named it the Matty Moroun International Trade Crossing, if only so he'd be forced to fight against a bridge with his name on it.[[no, I'm not serious )

Article from CBC on the contract for the Gordie Howe.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...tion-1.4842489

Highlights from the article:

Of the $5.7 billion, construction is expected to cost $3.8 billion and the rest is for operations and maintenance.

The consortium expects the bridge construction will create 2,500 jobs.

The presentation outlines that there will be green space equivalent to 225 football fields within the two portal of entries.

Construction is expected to begin in October. It's expected to take 74 months, just over six years

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    Construction is expected to begin in October. It's expected to take 74 months, just over six years
    Thanks Canadian Visitor. I bet the people who live along the current truck route in West Windsor can't wait until it's completed.

I wonder if they are going to use this theme song while they are building it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CB8F8g1-4Uw

So with the revamping of GM and Ford it would be interesting to see how it effects the projected revenue cross border stream.

That has got to big a big chunk.

ICE is nice, for both nations

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    I guess that explains all of the construction I drove through on I-75 when I was in town for Thanksgiving, I assume for the ramps/interchanges.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I guess that explains all of the construction I drove through on I-75 when I was in town for Thanksgiving, I assume for the ramps/interchanges.
    No, they are just finishing a 2 year rebuild of the rouge bridge, several smaller bridges and a large stretch of 75 downriver. The haven't started on the bridge ramps yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    No, they are just finishing a 2 year rebuild of the rouge bridge, several smaller bridges and a large stretch of 75 downriver. The haven't started on the bridge ramps yet.
    Ah, I assumed they were done with that work, since the rouge bridge itself seemed to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    A Canadian who made a huge impact in Detroit USA.
    Because it's an international bridge, this name is one of the most appropriate names possible. I can't possibly think of any better name.

Take that Matty Moron [[sic)! No new span for you! Awwww...

As a Canadian who was in favour/favor of the bridge at the outset, I'm starting to wonder if the decline of our auto industry makes this a very bad investment. I will be curious if the tolls come close to covering the interest on the debt being issued.

I think when governments use the terms,free and infrastructure combined,it becomes a scary situation.

Even more so when looking 10-20 years down the road and with volatile economies it becomes difficult to project that far ahead.

I have tried narrowing it down to GM specifically and thier cross bridge numbers including trickle effect,with zero luck,it could be that they retain that information as proprietary or I am search challenged.

Even more so where did the original guesstimates come from.

It would be nice to know what percentage of traffic is directly related to the automotive field and how it becomes effective.

I never agreed with it more so because of the timing in regards to the city of Detroit,to me it is just another poletown where the city residents bear the tax loss today based on what may or may not be gained in the future.

It was a risk at a time when the city was not in a position to take on the increased burden.

It should have been a joint venture between the US and Canadian government from the start.

At any rate,the horse has left the barn on that one and the chips are going to fall where they do,it would seem as though the only ones that will come out ahead as a guarantee will be the bankers,as usual.

When emotions and politics overshadow sound business decisions it is always the taxpayers that end up paying the cost of the mistakes.

The US is not exempt with bridges to nowhere and taxpayer funded solar companie failures etc. we are all in it as thick as thieves as they say.

Zero consolidation or even hope of fixing the system but it is hard to overlook the human negative impact because it is usually a lot of people suffering because of the decisions made by a few.

The difference is the City of Detroit started paying for the loss the day the contract was signed,on the Canadian side and according to the contract the taxpayers time clock does not start until the bridge is completed,at this time estimated 6 or 7 years down the road,so give it a few years to build traffic and Canada will not even know how viable it is until 10 years down the road.

So for those who think it is funny that Matty is getting the shaft, it is costing you and you fellow taxpayers millions of dollars for that outlook,so who actually is the loser in that race.
    Last edited by Richard; December-05-18 at 12:10 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast