Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Gordie Howe International Bridge

The new Detroit River bridge will be named the "Gordie Howe International Bridge" He didn't have to pay for the naming rights with cash, he paid for it with his body. What do you think of the name. It's official.

Fantastic! Love it! I hope Gordie will be around to be driven [[or drive!) over it.

A Canadian who made a huge impact in Detroit USA. Great idea. Fine replacement for the loss of Joe Louis Arena. Detroit's been lucky to have an arena named for an important man, not for a soap brand. GWIB would keep Detroit/Windsor real, and not so corporate controlled. I'm all in favour.

Stick your elbow out the window when crossing the Howe in honor/honour of Gordie!

Now that's a hell of a classy move on the part of these two countries. And it's nice that he's made a recovery to actually hear it will be named after him. Hopefully, in 5 years, he will be around to drive across the first car.

What would a Gordie Howe International Bridge hat trick be?

hitting another driver, getting a flat and getting pulled out for inspection?

I'm sure it'll be called "The Gordie" by everyone. Love it.

Very classy, and reflects regional culture. Love it.

That's a really good idea for the name.

Nobody can complain when the bridge gets icey.

Thumps up from me.

Very Cool name for a bridge between Canada and Detroit.

Funny. If Sumas is happy, I'm happy and will go along with it!

In Montreal, they will be dismantling the old Champlain bridge in a bit, and it will be replaced by a new one which Harper wanted to call the "Maurice Richard bridge". Didn't go to well with most people since there weren't that many monuments dedicated to Champlain who was after all a pivotal figure in Canadian history. It will remain the "Champlain Bridge".

Love it as well! So happy it's not about any kind of govt or advertising!
    Has the new Wings are a been named. I've got a bad feeling about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I'm sure it'll be called "The Gordie" by everyone. Love it.
    I love nomenclature and I concur. "The Gordie Bridge" or "The Big Gordie" sounds cool too.

Is it because hockey is a "bridge" between the 2 nations? I'm not seeing the reason for picking an athlete other than people like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Is it because hockey is a "bridge" between the 2 nations? I'm not seeing the reason for picking an athlete other than people like him.
    Because Detroit is, and will always be, a shot-and-a-beer sports-bar town.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    He is an iconic figure in both countries. But I get your point, why name it after an athlete, or any other person for that matter. I dropped my brother off at the airport the other day and we were wondering why a terminal is named after McNammara. Wasn't he a crook?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Wasn't he a crook?
    He was an iconic figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    He was an iconic figure.
    Remember this is Edward McNamara, Wayne County exec who oversaw the billion dollar expansion of Metro Airport, NOT Robert McNamara Ford exec "whiz kid" and Defense Secretary.

With all due respect to Mr Howe, I believe they should have named it something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    With all due respect to Mr Howe, I believe they should have named it something else.
    Why and what do you propose? Bridges and tunnels across the US and Canada are named after people. Even our freeways; heck the main interchange in downtown Chicago is now the Jane Byrne Interchange and they actively call it that now.

24. Default

Gordy Howe's life and career already forms a great bridge between our countries. He has always has been a pillar of decency and modesty and is a fitting choice and symbol for this honor. I can't think of anyone who comes even close to representing the special bond we have in our great international metropolis as he does.

We almost take our neighborliness as nations for granted. To think, 200 years ago this year war had just ended between us. Washington, Toronto [York then] and several towns along the Great Lakes lay burned and ravaged. Detroit was recovering from a year and a half of occupation. Massacres and atrocities stained our histories.

How much nicer to be building a bridge between us named after someone who brought us closer together.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Gordy Howe's life and career already forms a great bridge between our countries. He has always has been a pillar of decency and modesty and is a fitting choice and symbol for this honor. I can't think of anyone who comes even close to representing the special bond we have in our great international metropolis as he does.

We almost take our neighborliness as nations for granted. To think, 200 years ago this year war had just ended between us. Washington, Toronto [York then] and several towns along the Great Lakes lay burned and ravaged. Detroit was recovering from a year and a half of occupation. Massacres and atrocities stained our histories.

How much nicer to be building a bridge between us named after someone who brought us closer together.
    I'll drink to that, "bring us a shot and a beer, and turn the TV set on, will ya? The game's on....."

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast