Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

Either way, it is a pretty safe bet by Canada. And yes Detroit doesn’t get any of the toll revenue, but then again, Detroit isn’t paying to build or maintain it either.
    At least you are honest.

Bridge builders are P3 with the taxpayers guaranteeing win or lose,no way a private company is going to risk 4.8 billion of thier own money,they really have nothing to lose in that partnership.

Detroit is a part of Michigan and Michigan is a part of the United States,Detroiters pay local,state and federal taxes so they are paying for it win or lose.

If it shows a loss and the State of Michigan picks up thier share of the losses,where does that money come from?

Yes Canada is paying for it and the stance is,you guys did not put up the money so it is our bridge,sit back and hush,well unless it starts losing money,then we have you on speed dial.

Time will tell,but it is pointless to keep saying it will be some kind of economic wind fall when at the end of the day it is an international bridge that Canada wanted to build and it is Canada’s benefit.

4500 trees cut down just on the US side,the little Swedish girl would be yelling at you guys about now.

What private company underbids a job by 2.4 billion dollars?

I think we should start the bets on the finished bridge,I will take 10 points on 6.2 billion.
    Last edited by Richard; December-27-19 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    4500 trees cut down just on the US side,the little Swedish girl would be yelling at you guys about now.
    That would be 100 regular trees and 4400 invasive alleyway Ghetto Palms....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No fair taking pictures of your backyard Gistok.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    No fair taking pictures of your backyard Gistok.
    HA!! Gnome... 2 years ago that's the way it looked in the 6 ft. easement I have behind my garage... but I cut them down to about 2 ft. stumps last year... and again this year. I want to take them out in the spring time to grow something more exotic [[and now legal!).

well, the leaves of your new crop kind of look like ghetto palms.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That would be 100 regular trees and 4400 invasive alleyway Ghetto Palms....
    Funny how Richard values some aliens more than others......

Tree of Heaven [[Ailanthus altissima) is a non-native, invasive species in North America; that originates in China.

It has a smell, particularly if you rub its leaves that most find unpleasant.

The less......egregious common description....would be peanut butter........

But others.........say, semen.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...eedy_side.html
    Last edited by Canadian Visitor; January-06-20 at 08:48 AM. Reason: url not working

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    Funny how Richard values some aliens more than others......

Tree of Heaven [[Ailanthus altissima) is a non-native, invasive species in North America; that originates in China.

It has a smell, particularly if you rub its leaves that most find unpleasant.

The less......egregious common description....would be peanut butter........

But others.........say, semen.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...eedy_side.html
    That's funny.

Link repair: The heavenly tree with a seedy side

The DYes censorbot replaced a "yankee underscore tango" trigraph with an ellipsis in your URL. I laundered it through TinyURL.com to fix it.
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-06-20 at 08:07 AM.

The two A-Shape Towers will start to rise this summer! https://www.enr.com/articles/48479-t...-begin-to-rise

https://youtu.be/OF5yT2gXNcs
    Found this on YouTube today and thought it was worth a share, pretty cool perspective of the whole Canadian side progress.

somewhere right now Moroun is crying into a pillow.

Looks like a crane is up and the tower footings are really starting to take shape over on the Canadian side.https://www.gordiehoweinternationalb...com/en/gallery

I really love the clean minimalist underbelly of the bridge! Hoping it ends up actually looking like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I really love the clean minimalist underbelly of the bridge! Hoping it ends up actually looking like that.
    I think that's a relatively new construction technique where they conceal both compression and tension components within the deck. I've seen it used on new freeway interchanges. It makes the airborne ramps appear to soar weightlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    somewhere right now Moroun is crying into a pillow.

I'm guessing he'll be ok.

He's 92 now,.. and will be 97 or more by the time the new bridge opens.

And then,.. he'll be able to crush them on price,... his bridge being long since paid for.

I feel for our Canadian neighbors, I suspect they're going to take it in the shorts.

Traffic across the bridge and tunnel have fallen 7% since 2012, even as the economy improved. Increasing business with Mexico, but decreasing business with Canada, changes in just in time manufacturing, the big CAW union strike a few years back, plant closings? And that's before the new North American trade agreement.

In 5+ years time, the 2 bridges and tunnel will share the Ambassador and Tunnel's decreased traffic.

I'd hate to be the only one of the three making massive bond payments.
    Last edited by Bigdd; June-03-20 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    I'd hate to be the only one of the three making massive bond payments.
    Don't worry. It's not an issue. Didn't you hear? Gov'ts just print endless amounts of money now and debt no longer matters.

^ it’s the Canadian taxpayers that co signed,the builders and operators actually assumed no risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ it’s the Canadian taxpayers that co signed,the builders and operators actually assumed no risk.
    No kidding. I'm Canadian and believe me our printing machines are on overdrive as well. Tune in to CBC around 11:00 am for the daily Trudeau briefing "where I'm throwing a few billion at today." When this bridge idea started 5 billion seemed like a lot. Now it's not even a blip on the radar.
    Last edited by 401don; June-04-20 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ILKSGAMI View Post
    Looks like a crane is up and the tower footings are really starting to take shape over on the Canadian side.https://www.gordiehoweinternationalb...com/en/gallery
    I was so happy to see this !

19. Default

Latest flyovers show pylons rising on both sides of the river. The expanse of cleared land is immense.

Detroit Side:

Windsor Side:

View from Canadian side with pylons in foreground:
    Name:  GordieHowe Bridge.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  74.1 KB

^ those flyovers are months old. It is much further along right now.

Why a Billionaire Tried to Stop This Bridge
    The Gordie Howe International Bridge will transform the US-Canada border- but it was almost never built.
    The project gets some well deserved respect in this new video.

Excellent video -- thanks for posting!

Here's some more footage from a month ago.

Gordie Howe Bridge July 2022 Update
    Construction on the Gordie Howe Bridge continues at a steady pace. More of the deck has been attached as well as ground work across the Canadian site. Grading and paving are expected in the fall of 2022....

Binational Signing Paves Way for Cross Border Trail Tourism

Link the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail, part of the Trans Canada Trail network, to Michigan’s Iron Belle Trail and The Great Lakes Way via the new Gordie Howe International Bridge.
    That sounds like a winning plan. I'm trying to imagine the experience of going through customs on a bike and the view from the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Binational Signing Paves Way for Cross Border Trail Tourism

That sounds like a winning plan. I'm trying to imagine the experience of going through customs on a bike and the view from the bridge.
    I walked over a couple of times in the 70's. 12 yr. old kids from Detroit used to take their bikes over to Windsor to swim.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast