Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    HockeyStreams.com for a year is the cost of half a month of cable.

Bottom line, you don't need cable or satellite to get hockey.

Baseball, I have no idea, but I don't really enjoy watching baseball on TV.

HockeyStreams.com is illegal. NHL just hasn't caught up to them yet.
    Last edited by Ben40; June-01-15 at 04:08 PM.

I believe Hockey Streams is illegal. The NHL just hasn't caught up to them yet.

Semi-related:

62 now has a subchannel for the first time in it's history-62.2 is showing some sort of autobiographic and moments-in-TV-history shows on this "Decades" network. Right now, they're showing this program about the history of CNN.

Anyone else watching 62.2?

I have an RCA converter [[purchased new on Ebay) and it works like a champ. I have a RCA rabbit ears too and that seemed to make a difference but to get all the channels I DO have to have the antenna's touching the ceiling. Sometimes I have re-scan but not often. Other converters I had just ran hot and stopped working after about six months. This one shuts off automatically after 6 hrs or so.

The combo of that with ROKU working off my already existing internet WIFI set up works great.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Bumping this.

The way I'm doing this is a bit different. Finally decided to get an RCA one from Walgreens and I've managed to get all the locals except channels 2 and 50. If I move it a bit and do a rescan, I loose 56 and 62 as well.

I'm still using Uverse on the same TV and on the other ones we have in this house.

I am at least glad that I'll finally be able to start watching Dragnet again on 20.2-Uverse doesn't show it on their version of the Cozi TV feed, instead showing religious infomercials.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben40 View Post
    I believe Hockey Streams is illegal. The NHL just hasn't caught up to them yet.
    The NHL can't touch them, because they operate in a country that doesn't see it as illegal.

If the NHL provided a better option, I'd be giving the money to them. However, GameCenter Live, the NHL's version, is more expensive and BLACKS OUT your local games.

Some companies get it, like HBO and DirectTV, and are starting to offer streaming services that don't require a cable subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    Here's the path I took with no regrets.

Tivo Roamio OTA - 100 bucks, plus 14 a month. The box does MLB, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus and a few others. I'm in Oak Park and I get a everything with a cheapie antenna but CBC. I'm going to try a new one since I'd really like to get their programming. However, I've found PBS has a ton of great stuff. You can get a Tivo Mini for other rooms so you don't need to set up antennas everywhere there is a TV. At $14 a month it is a lot for "free TV" but I'm a Tivo fan and I like how it lets you search across apps to find the show or movie you want.

SlingTV - 20 bucks a month for ESPN, FoodTV, AMC, TNT, History... Total of 20 channels. Probably going to step away from this though, I don't use it enough to justify it.

FireTV - I've tried them all, AppleTV, Chromecast, Roku and this is the snappiest and has a ton of apps including KODI which is the best media server if you torrent stuff.

Hulu Plus - Great deal. A sparse, reasonable amount of advertising.

Amazon Prime - Another great deal. Remember they also have a music service and photo storage included in Prime.

Netflix - The exclusives keep me. If those aren't important to you Amazon is a much better value.

Quelo - Netflix for Concerts. Off and on subscriber.

MLB.TV [[$20) + unblock.us [[$5 a month) - I get all the Tigers games this way. It's a hack but the blackout rules are a joke and I have no problem getting around them. It's also cool to tune into the visitor's feed especially if they're playing at LA or Milwakuee so you can hear Vin Scully or Bob Euchre. If you don't use unblock.us you can watch the games once they're finished. They also have game summaries which is basically 3-5 minutes highlighting all the relevant plays. Very cool if you're a busy fan.
    My 'take away' is simply:

Determine what you watch, what is MUST see TV, what isn't, etc. etc. and build your strategy accordingly.

I couldn't live without all of the sports. I don't bother with HBO, etc.

Someone else might be the opposite.

Then do your analysis: Where do the Tigers' games come from? Where does college football and March Madness come from? Movies? I have Roku 3 and should be watching tons of movies, but I don't... For someone else this is 'must see' TV.

Once you have done your 'requirements analysis' then one can look at the alternatives to meet those requirements.

I suspect 10 people doing this analysis will find they have different 'requirements' and will end up with a different solution.

A. The difference in antennas is that the newer ones are tuned to the new narrower TV band and many are peaked for UHF and VHF-Hi where the majority of channels are clustered. As noted, the 'digital' bit is essentially a gimmick.

B. I don't allow sports of any kind on my TV at all. None. Period. No exceptions. [[Before C. below and if I ever decide to turn it back on again.)

C. I am the ultimate cord cutter. I turned my TV off around the first of the year. Haven't had it on since. I haven't even watched the many, many hours of shows I have recorded on various media. My antenna isn't even hooked up right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    B. I don't allow sports of any kind on my TV at all. None. Period. No exceptions.
    Out of curiosity, what's your reason? Do you just not like sports? The only ones I care about are hockey [[HockeyStreams.com) and Football [[available OTA).

Haven't had cable in at least 10 years, satellite has been off about 7 years. Don't miss them or paying the bill. We had Comcast for cable, then DISH for satellite after dumping Comcast. Daughter uses friend's password for Netflix. No conflict there. She finds whatever she wants to watch online anyway. There's enough variety for us to look at between network TV, sub channels, PBS, online, etc,. Daughter got me started on Dr.Who reruns on the Retro channel, [[14.2).

I would like to have Windsor, channel 9. Can't get it to scan in. We have one of those flat RCA antenna, have it hanging on the wall near the tv. This was a gift to us along with a basic small inexpensive flat screen years ago when our old analog TV quit. We did have the converter box for HD on the old TV. Got it when they were offered for free when you had no choice except to get the converter boxes or buy one of those new fangled HD tvs. Not sure if we need a better/stronger or updated antenna in order to get channel 9. We live over by Dearborn.

I was in the Dearborn Walmart yesterday looking at vacuums when a sales rep trolling the aisles for victims asked me if we had cable. I just tell them no right off the bat, I haven't had cable in years and we watch whatever we want online and won't be signing up. That
    stops them cold. Don't mean to be rude but no need to waste my time or yours, when my answer is going to be no.

Dunno if this is off-topic or what, so I decided to tinker with my antenna a bit tonight...I placed it at the highest spot in my bay window and guess what...among the stations it found, I now have two ABC stations to choose from...channel 7 of course and WEWS in Cleveland [[a surprise for a small indoor antenna like the one I have, although I can ALMOST never get a picture from the latter, plus, I thought I'd had a higher chance of getting anything from Toledo, which I never did).

That also means I have two stations that show Joe Friday and Bill Gannon at the same time: our own 20.2 and one of the WEWS subchannels.

This is mtburb, [[attempting to) watch[[ing) WEWS out of Cleveland, Ohio, here in Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Last edited by mtburb; August-15-15 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    Here's the path I took with no regrets.
    MLB.TV [[$20) + unblock.us [[$5 a month) - I get all the Tigers games this way. It's a hack but the blackout rules are a joke and I have no problem getting around them. It's also cool to tune into the visitor's feed especially if they're playing at LA or Milwakuee so you can hear Vin Scully or Bob Euchre. If you don't use unblock.us you can watch the games once they're finished. They also have game summaries which is basically 3-5 minutes highlighting all the relevant plays. Very cool if you're a busy fan.
    You can get adfreetime.com for $1.99 a month to do the same thing as unblock.us This also allows you to view Netflix from different regions. I switched mine to a UK location so I could watch Better Call Saul [[which oddly enough is advertised as a Netflix original.)

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    A. The difference in antennas is that the newer ones are tuned to the new narrower TV band and many are peaked for UHF and VHF-Hi where the majority of channels are clustered. As noted, the 'digital' bit is essentially a gimmick.

B. I don't allow sports of any kind on my TV at all. None. Period. No exceptions. [[Before C. below and if I ever decide to turn it back on again.)

C. I am the ultimate cord cutter. I turned my TV off around the first of the year. Haven't had it on since. I haven't even watched the many, many hours of shows I have recorded on various media. My antenna isn't even hooked up right now.
    What about if the Lions made it to the Super Bowl? I know it's not going to happen but what if, Would you break your rule and watch that?

In light of this hockeystreams website, I may have just found my way to cutting out Dish. I'm so sick of paying for that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    What about if the Lions made it to the Super Bowl? I know it's not going to happen but what if, Would you break your rule and watch that?
    I'd have to watch that game in public. I'd be begging for pinches enough to prove it wasn't a dream. Then, we'd get to flip cop cars. So, yeah, still don't need tv at home more than what the rooftop antenna can feed us.

If you got 2 providers in your area, you can threaten to switch and they always have a great deal. You fumbling with Roku, illegal websites, netflix, and god knows what else isn't saving you any money and just wasting productive time.

Not sure how familiar you are with Reddit, but there is a subreddit all about cord-cutting. Might have some useful information: https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/

If you plan on getting an antenna, check out http://www.tvfool.com/. Put in your location and it can show you exactly how strong each channel is, where it comes from, and will help figure out the best kind of antenna for your situation.

I cut the cord back in February and haven't looked back. Got an antenna which gets all the local channels [[plus Windsor, and even a couple in Lansing if the weather is right). I built a mini-PC that fits in my TV cabinet, and interfaces with my antenna and lets me use internet-based services too. I've got Netflix and Hulu, and a program called Kodi which helps me organize and play back all my files and movies.

And if there's some cable channels you can't live without, check out Sling TV. It's basically a mini-cable bundle you can get online. There's about 20 channels for 15 bucks a month [[including ESPN), with add-on packages with different groups of channels for about 5 bucks each, and HBO as well. The nice thing is you can mix-and-match certain options, unlike cable. Plus there's no contract or equipment to rent. It's been kind of buggy for me so far, but I like having it as an alternative to stupid cable bundles.

What a grand subject thread! I'm loving all of the alternatives to cable! BTW, here's a working link for swing TV! The one in the post was not linking:

https://www.sling.com/

If you are on a different provider than Comcast, you can switch back to them and they are very aggressive. I'm getting 75 megabit internet and HD with DVR for $80 a month for 2 years. I'm sure if you want slower internet and less channels they will go lower. Add up internet and Hulu and all that garbage and you are at the same price without the hassle. Just saying.

[[Apologies if this is off-topic for this thread)

Well, I just got two more RCA toys at Meijer [[it seems that RCA is the only one still doing indoor antennas these days, other than Radio Shack)-an indoor/outdoor model and one with rabbit ears that stretch way further up than the ones I got now. We'll see how many channels I gain from those.
    Last edited by mtburb; September-09-15 at 02:31 PM.

You have to be careful with RCA products. They are now a trademark licensing company. They don't make much of anything. The RCA antennas are made by Audiovox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_[[trademark)

FYI - WOW has upped their speeds. I now pay $20 for 30 MB\s. I have since dropped Hulu because I didn't feel like we were using it enough.

My monthly bills now total $28 [[cable + Netflix). Some of my friends pay $200+ a month for bundles. That means I'll be saving around $25K over the next decade in comparison to my friends.

I'm a Sling fan myself. It pretty much offers what I'm looking for. That and the laptop I bought that helps me access shows online, I'm pretty much set. I'm looking for a good movie site that offers old movies [[love film noir especially). I've watched most of what is on archive.org. Any suggestions?

Internet streaming websites can some things to get your favorite broadcast bundled problems. But would not get most live sports coverage. It's all depends on what bandwidth your PC software is receiving. Streaming broadcasting will not kill be cable or satellite tv yet. There will FCC and government bureaucratic hokey pokey to make it the wave of the future.

Is there anybody on the Detroit side of the river who can get CBC without cable? If so, how? I had an old TV that wasn't hooked up to cable, but I couldn't get CBC or any other Canadian channel.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferL View Post
    Is there anybody on the Detroit side of the river who can get CBC without cable? If so, how? I had an old TV that wasn't hooked up to cable, but I couldn't get CBC or any other Canadian channel.
    With my two newest antennas, I got a lock on CBC, but I can never get a signal from it or Fox 2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast