Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Flirting Bus Driver Blocks Traffic

I thought I'd seen it all, but yesterday during evening rush hour a female bus driver was flirting with a male bus driver headed in the other direction on Griswold at the Larned intersection. Thought it was cute at first.

But she stopped her bus to talk with him, blocking half the intersection...keeping one bloke trapped behind her, blocking the rest of it.

It was bad enough when the Larned light was red...and there was a tie-up in front of her...but she didn't budge an inch until a bunch of us laid on our horns. She couldn't have cared any less about the flow of traffic behind and around her.

Is there a mechanism where this sort of behavior is punished? She should have gotten a ticket for impeding traffic, at least...lose her damn job at worst.

I'm not publishing details just yet...
    Last edited by Gannon; May-13-15 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I thought I'd seen it all, but yesterday during evening rush hour a female bus driver was flirting with a male bus driver headed in the other direction on Griswold at the Larned intersection. Thought it was cute at first.

But she stopped her bus to talk with him, blocking half the intersection...keeping one bloke trapped behind her, blocking the rest of it.

It was bad enough when the Larned light was red...and there was a tie-up in front of her...but she didn't budge an inch until a bunch of us laid on our horns. She couldn't have cared any less about the flow of traffic behind and around her.

Is there a mechanism where this sort of behavior is punished? She should have gotten a ticket for impeding traffic, at least...lose her damn job at worst.

I'm not publishing details just yet...
    My experience is people need to use their horns more. Don't worry, the bus driver is not going to shoot.

If she held up traffic for 2 minutes or less, you need to chill and see the big picture. If she held you up for 60 minutes, you have a valid concern. What makes you think wherever you were going was superior to her future husband/lineage?

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    If she held up traffic for 2 minutes or less, you need to chill and see the big picture. If she held you up for 60 minutes, you have a valid concern. What makes you think wherever you were going was superior to her future husband/lineage?

LOL! You're right...I've no business interrupting the mating rituals of the SMART pilots.

Damnit.

Hey...my Dad, a retired DDOT bus driver, met his second wife on his bus. They were married 35 years when he died at the age of 92. Bus drivers need love too.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    Hey...my Dad, a retired DDOT bus driver, met his second wife on his bus. They were married 35 years when he died at the age of 92. Bus drivers need love too.
    That's a nice story. I would rather for her to block traffic for a couple minutes instead of calling him on the phone while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    It's amazing that anyone would excuse the intentional and unnecessary impediment of traffic for any length of time.

Such a selfish thing to do, no matter what the reason.

In most agencies, I'm pretty sure it's an offense that could get a bus driver suspended, but I'm not sure about fired. It's a form of distracted driving even if the bus is not moving. It may sound trivial to some, but the public puts a lot of faith in transit operators to keep them safe. It's extremely unprofessional and unsafe to turn attention away from their duties, even for a moment.