Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default St Ladislaus' Architect?

Name:  StLads2.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  34.2 KBName:  3965695656_c77d62e1f0_z.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  39.6 KB

A very recent banner for this blogsite showed Caniff Avenue in Hamtramck, with a view of the St. Ladislaus Church, and I could not help but note that the steeple's massing resembled that of Sir Edwin Lutyens' 1932 memorial in Thiepval, France, dedicated to the missing of the Battle of the Somme in WWl. I looked up the church and found that it was built in 1953 but there was no mention of the architect, whom I would guess was familiar with the celebrated Lutyens and discreetly altered the design while successfully scaling it down from the monumental original. It would be interesting to learn this capable architect's name and investigate more of his or her work. I'm tempted to think that the proximity of Ralph Adams Cram's superb St. Florian's may have have motivated the architect to imbue his own commission with a distinction uncommon in much of 1950's church architecture.
    Last edited by A2Mike; May-12-15 at 08:10 PM.

FormerEastsider: Thank you for the link to the versatile architect Arthur Des Rosier, who also designed the impressive St. Alphonsus Church in Dearborn and the Art Deco inspired St. Michael Orthodox Church in the Poletown area of Detroit.

A2Mike...You're welcome. Glad I could help.