Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Urban Ag Tours

Yesterday's urban agriculture tours were great! There was both a bus and bike option. The turnout was big enough that they were managing waiting lists. The 70% grown-in-Detroit food at the end was very tasty. Big thanks to the organizers.

I took some photos from one of the Midtown bike tours.

stinkbug Guest

Haha. There I am. Good thing I wore the loud yellow shirt.
    Nice tour. They should have a really really long one for the serious athletes that covers large swaths of the city.

Here's another one. Got an e-mail from an organizer:

I’m setting up a Farm to Fork bike tour with Greening of Detroit and invite you to come along on Saturday, August 22. We’ll be covering around 10 miles on bikes from 2:30-5:30 p.m., checking out a few of Detroit’s 800 community gardens, dropping by Eastern Market, and visiting some other important places that make up the food system in Detroit. My interest in community gardens and the Greening of Detroit stems from an article that I recently researched and wrote on the Green Ribbon Collaborative’s Fresh Food Share project [[see http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/freshfood20209.aspx), my own involvement in a CSA, and my ongoing work with Gleaners Community Food Bank.

Let me know soon if you plan to go and whether or not you need a bicycle [[if so, give me your height and weight). We’ll be meeting at 2:30 p.m. sharp at the Wheelhouse Bike Shop on the riverfront in Detroit. Details on location to come in a couple of weeks. Bike rentals are $15. I will cover our mandated donation for the tour, but would encourage anyone who is moved by the work of the Greening of Detroit and the Green Ribbon Collaborative to bring $5 or $10 as a donation. For those who would like to indulge following our afternoon of learning and riding, we’ll go for a beer at Motor City Brewing Works when we’re done with the tour. Saddle up!

I finally posted my pictures from the urban garden tour. My group visited sites on the West Side. I had a great time. This past year the Garden Resource program supplied 244 community gardens, 517 family gardens, and 48 schools. This is great for Detroit.

http://thinkdetroit.blogspot.com/200...n-gardens.html