Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What was this Building before the Beauty Supply, and roof cave in?

I know this happened early last month, but I happened to drive by noticing it today!

Davison Beauty @ 2251 W. Davison looks like a bomb set it off, or a fire or both. But per articles the roof caved in, particularly on one side.

The roof is -- well uh, was a rounded, bowed kind like you'd seen for a bowling alley but the building seems too small for that. Does anyone know what it was before the last incarnation as the pink painted beauty supply store?

Looks like tons of tar paper on that roof. The city inspectors had cited the building, the owners did nothing. I guess a heavy bird landed on it April fools day and once and for all did what the snows could not!! SEE PHOTOS that accompany the article:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/r...troit/32133144

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/28...ter-inspection
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-10-15 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ... Does anyone know what it was before the last incarnation as the pink painted beauty supply store?...
    August 2009 Street View shows it as "Davison Mall" in its pre-pink days. That doesn't explain the roof's shape though.

The Detroit building had a code violation and less than an hour after the inspector left, the building's roof collapsed.
    Wow. What are the chances of that?

From what I can tell on the DTE historical aerial photos, it looks like there were multiple buildings built with a similar domed roof along Davison. It probably was a neighborhood grocery store just with a varied style of a common boxy shaped.

I hope nobody was injured. But I also hope that this will be razed and cleared away. It is a blight and a hazard.