Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default area restaurants

My husband wanted to take me somewhere nice for Mothers Day. Went on line and laughed at the prices listed for local eateries. Out rargious. $80 bucks for a strip steak???? Just told him forget it we have other priorties.

Eighty dollars is a lot to you and me, but restaurants here no longer want folks like us, when they can serve people with more disposable income to spend.
    I am afraid to even guess what parking, dinner and a night at the new hockey arena will cost, in a couple of years.
    I doubt we will be running into each other there!

So, most of the new places that open up spend a lot on refurbishing their space. They aren't going to recoup that cost selling $15 steaks.

Big Beaver Tavern near 16 and Rochester sells $26 ribeyes that are, pretty much, the exact same steak as that $80 model you'll pay for at Top of the Ponch [[or London, or Coach Insignia or...)

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    My husband wanted to take me somewhere nice for Mothers Day. Went on line and laughed at the prices listed for local eateries. Out rargious. $80 bucks for a strip steak???? Just told him forget it we have other priorties.
    Happy Mothers Day!

Sundays

3:00PM to 10:00PM

http://caperssteakhouse.com/steaks.html

T-BONE
    Dine in: 70¢ an ounce
    To Go : 80¢ an ounce

NEW YORK STRIP
    Dine in: 75¢ an ounce
    To Go : 85¢ an ounce

DELMONICO
    Dine in: 80¢ an ounce
    To Go : 90¢ an ounce

FILET
    Dine in: $1.55 an ounce
    To Go : $1.65 an ounce

For $80 he could have gotten you a male stripper........

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Eighty dollars is a lot to you and me, but restaurants here no longer want folks like us, when they can serve people with more disposable income to spend.
    I am afraid to even guess what parking, dinner and a night at the new hockey arena will cost, in a couple of years.
    I doubt we will be running into each other there!
    Plenty of places still offer "cheap" steak.

At Capers on Gratiot near 7 mile, you can get a 17 ounce steak for about $15-$20. Sure, it's a hole in the wall and it's not in safe/trendy downtown, but you're getting damn huge portions of good food for your buck. [[EDIT: detroittrader beat me to it).

There's also the suburban chains like Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Logan's, etc.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-10-15 at 05:11 PM.

I seldom eat steak, anymore, but often went to Capers when it was 30 cents an ounce. It was very good steak.

Stop it HP -- I almost dropped my laptop on that one........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    For $80 he could have gotten you a male stripper........

I'm not a steak connoisseur so long as it's not stringy or beef jerky tough I'm good with Texas Roadhouse or Logan's the few times I want a steak [[once or twice a year).

In general restaurant prices are up along with food. Within reason they all have to turn a profit. I would not want to be in that business.

$80 for a NY Strip is unheard of anywhere in the area. Even at Ruth Chris or Morton's, you aren't paying $80.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    $80 for a NY Strip is unheard of anywhere in the area. Even at Ruth Chris or Morton's, you aren't paying $80.
    Most expensive restaurant I've been to around here was Eddie Merlot on Woodward and Big Beaver. Last time I was there [[only been there twice) the rib eyes were $58.50 and didn't come with any other food except bread. To me that's obscene but it's also the best steak you'll ever eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm not a steak connoisseur so long as it's not stringy or beef jerky tough I'm good with Texas Roadhouse or Logan's the few times I want a steak [[once or twice a year).

In general restaurant prices are up along with food. Within reason they all have to turn a profit. I would not want to be in that business.
    I usually eat the Salmon at Logan's. Their steaks are only fair. The price is pretty good though.

Go on line and laugh for your self. The prices amazing. We went to our old stand by, Sinbads, took two friends. Bill was $90 plus tip. My husband and are not big eaters, so we split a dinner, $1.50 to do that, even that was 31'.50 I thought the bill was reasonable for appetizers drinks and 3 dinners.

Seriously I could not believe the prices we saw on line. We rarely eat meat, but just wanted some. It was good, brougt most of it home. I guess steak and and eggs in the morning.

It would be nice if you told us what place has an $80 NY strip steak

Ruth's Chris Steak House

Perhaps? They don't have prices on their online menu so that's a clue......

I'll have my husband list the places he had me check on line. One place was 7 dollars for a side of mashed potatos, one place listed a baked potato for $10 . Good lord I like my own cooking. But my husband was determined we were going out. Sinbads was just fine for 4 people but all I really needed was a new bathing suit. Well next month I guess. We budget things.

London Chop House gets $88 for a 32oz, aged, Prime porterhouse. They probably wouldn't let you split it, but I bet it's a heck of a steak.

Our friend is going to buy us some prime porterhouse. Like I said we eat little meat so I told him next month. I'll prepare it, make a great salad, twice baked potatos, aspargus and a desert. Why go out at the prices I saw on line?

I hate doing dishes, as in washing but my husband does that in his own time frame. I just go on strike, I will not cook in a dirty kitchen. After 40 years we have worked out things.

Honestly $10 for a baked potato? I can get one at a Wendys for 99 cents

I have never heard of an $80 NY Strip steak, not even in the fanciest steakhouses. At Peter Luger in NYC [[probably the most famed steakhouse anywhere) steak is around $50 a person.

My experience is that most fancy steakhouses will price their cuts in the $35-$45 range, more or less. If a restaurant is charging $80, and it isn't some rare Wagyu beef cut or something, then you're probably getting ripped off. I would steer clear.

Perhaps that NY strip came with appetizers, drinks, dessert, a big tip, and valet.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    Perhaps that NY strip came with appetizers, drinks, dessert, a big tip, and valet.
    True, if it includes all that, then $80 is reasonable. If a couple goes out to a fancy steakhouse, and steak is [[say) $40, then they'll probably end up paying a bill around $160, maybe a bit more after gratuity. Depends so much on drinks.
    Last edited by Bham1982; May-11-15 at 11:46 AM.

@sumas I don't know if you or your husband went on Yelp.com to find a place to eat but if you didn't I recommend that in the future you do.
    Last edited by FormerEastsider; May-11-15 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    @sumas I don't know if you or your husband went on Yelp.com to find a place to eat but if you didn't I recommend that in the future you do.
    Thank you, Ill try that, we did find a cuban place we would like to try. Will try Capers too. We go out maybe twice a month. Take me a while to check places out.