Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Eastern Market and Flowers

I know flower day is the 17th and usually I head over early the day before to pick up my annuals, but won't be able to make it. Anyone know if there will be a good selection on this Saturday May 9?

There were already tons of flower vendors down there on Saturday. You should be good for great selection this week.
    Last edited by ellsa; May-04-15 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling, of course

I try to avoid flower day, like, it is a zoo. Police are there and clueless. They change roads entry etc. Go before or go after that weekend. Eastern Market is a favorite destination of ours just not that weekend. Prices are bumped up too that weekend.

I am a total flower whore. Have my list for annuals veggies herbs.

Did laugh a little, planted bulbs, bought last fall, Daffodils bought at Aldis, they look so perfect neighbors think they are fakes.

I was told there was someone at Eastern Market who would have tables of various cacti for sale each Saturday., and I was told this a long time ago. Are they still there?

Quote Originally Posted by Now&then View Post
    I was told there was someone at Eastern Market who would have tables of various cacti for sale each Saturday., and I was told this a long time ago. Are they still there?

Yes, they are houseplants, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ellsa View Post
    Yes, they are houseplants, though.
    Yep, small though. A few booths down from Kaltz. They do well outside in summer.

Thanks went Saturday, definitely good selection and busy as heck.

I absolutely adore the market. I am going the week after flower day. I do go weekdays to permanent vendors to pick up fruit and veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I absolutely adore the market. I am going the week after flower day. I do go weekdays to permanent vendors to pick up fruit and veggies.
    Do you know if they sell houseplants like aloe vera or ferns during the weekdays [[excluding Tuesday market).

Quote Originally Posted by nativegirl View Post
    Do you know if they sell houseplants like aloe vera or ferns during the weekdays [[excluding Tuesday market).

Cindy's Wholesale Florist is on Russell, but I am not sure if they sell retail during the week and have what you want. There are other stores on the periphery that may have what you are looking for, but this may be one of those situations where you are better off looking else where.

If you can get there on Saturdays, you can find what you are looking for.

Get there on Saturday by 8:00 a.m. and start at the north end of the market. Be aware there is a lot of construction up at that end, not in the market but around it.

Get there early and get the hell out of there by 10:00 a.m.

I am totally yearning to buy my flowers, just not this weekend. I buy for myself , neighbors and our community garden. Oh well I still have bulbs to plant, seeds to plant. But it is fun to have instant color and hanging planters. Next weekend!

I'm just going to leave this here ...

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arch...eastern-market

The writer forgot to add...Leave Fido[[s) at home.

KNOW YOUR PRICES! Many of the vendors raise their prices or are very overpriced compared to the nurseries around the metro area.

Going to Eastern Mark-Up for "Flower Day" is akin to going to an Irish bar to celebrate St. Patrick Day,

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Going to Eastern Mark-Up for "Flower Day" is akin to going to an Irish bar to celebrate St. Patrick Day,
    Hey at least it's green

Actually I am disapointed the market banned dogs. I rarely took mine but enjoyed seeing the different breeds on display. It is an outdoors venue. Made for nice conversations.

Dumb me I took my little puggle the first week they banned dogs without notice so I carried him. He looks little but weighs about 40 # Didn't buy a damn thing that week. Their loss.

Working in my yard Sunday. I so long to have my annuals but truely flower day is a zoo. Never did learn patience. But I will wait. Go late on non flower day, bargains are great.

@sumas I loved flower day. That's just one of the many things I miss since I left Detroit. I didn't go to buy flowers. I went because I loved the crowds. The entertainment. The food. The people, all kinds of people, happy and getting along. I grew up going to Eastern Market every weekend. When I lived in Detroit I could always be found at Eastern Market on Saturday afternoon shopping, then stopping at Berts for some "Que," singing Karaoke, shooting pool, and dancing in the streets!!!
    Last edited by FormerEastsider; May-16-15 at 07:11 PM.

over priced for sure. i ended up at the mt. clemens farmers market. small but nice stuff.

I went today and got two hanging baskets for the backyard for $10/each and two nice planters for the front porch also $10/ each. The same ones were $50 at English Gardens last weekend. Definitely a bargain.

The amtmoshphere was festive, the crowds energetic and the karaoke behind Bert's was off the charts!

Thank you. Thank you. Cacti houseplants are exactly what I am looking for in my decorative antique flower pots. Now if I can get my son to come by and wake me early enough to head down there on time....